Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Express Interview with Moto Chief Executive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he's being very careful saying MW rather than MWh - that is the 2,500 chargers simultaneously providing 96kw which might not be unreasonable at certain times of the year and day (and you'd probably have to provide more capacity than that to provide a safety margin). Even if he's out by a factor of 2 then that's still 120MW.

Or derate the charge power to meet available supply. Makes for a slightly longer charge but it fits in with demand side response to help keep grid loading within capacity.

The likes of Octopus IO handle bits of this at consumer level but large commercial users will handle it themselves in same way that some large power users are already asked to turn down their usage at certain times.

Last edited:
Let’s put 250MW in the context of UK Peak Generation/Demand of circa 60GW. Even if you x4 for all the other MSAs it’s not really an issue at a macro level. Yes at some point we will need more generating capacity, but for now the problems mostly come back to DNOs having the right power in the right place. Local capacity. Grid reinforcement. New power supplies.

Our office is in the process of installing about 20 7kW chargers (for ~3000 staff, many of whom walk or cycle to work) which will go a long way towards providing an option for those who don't have their own off-street parking at home. It will be cheaper than public DC rates so should also remove some of the motorway charging demand for people with longer commutes (but no longer free because at the moment everyone is incentivised to get an hour or two at work, even if they have off peak charging at home)

Given we aren't going to need petrol stations in the future, how many ultrafast chargers could we install on those sites, they are already allegedly convenient.

Petrol pump layouts don't seem very efficient, my local (from what I remember) has 6 pumps, but could easily house 20 chargers in the same space. Combine that having lost 60% of customer to home charging, I don't really see if we need to overthink where we need to put chargers.

Or derate the charge power to meet available supply. Makes for a slightly longer charge but it fits in with demand side response to help keep grid loading within capacity.

The likes of Octopus IO handle bits of this at consumer level but large commercial users will handle it themselves in same way that some large power users are already asked to turn down their usage at certain times.

... derating works if you're plugged in for a long time and don't really care when your charge finishes. For chargers on the go, derating when at max capacity doesn't really make sense. It reduces the throughput of vehicles which could be much more easily and cheaply achieved by putting in fewer chargers in the first place.

... derating works if you're plugged in for a long time and don't really care when your charge finishes. For chargers on the go, derating when at max capacity doesn't really make sense. It reduces the throughput of vehicles which could be much more easily and cheaply achieved by putting in fewer chargers in the first place.
If it takes 5 minutes longer to charge I don't see any issue if it allows more cars to simultaneously charge/free up grid resources and when there is no spare power limitations, everyone who needs them will get full capacity. Triad warnings (when large energy users are asked to turn down their usage), are few and far between and in case of car charging, apart from a couple of extra minutes vs normal, would be pretty much transparent.

Better to have 8 stalls that occasionally deliver 75% of the power than turn up to a site with 4 stalls all the time?

Last edited: