Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Tesla Ceramic Coating, PPF, Tinting and other Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Detail Lab

Anyone with first hand experience getting a ceramic coating done by these guys?
Looks like I’ll be the first one here…just booked in with them for next Thursday, the day after picking up my MYLR. Hope they are as good as their google reviews say they are. The MD Elias has great phone manner and is knowledgeable on his products. I was originally just going to get some tinting done with them as they are an XPEL installer and I want Xpel Prime XR Plus tint but somehow I got convinced into giving their graphene ceramic coating a whirl as well. I was originally going to go local and get Fineshine at Zetland do a Gtecniq Crystal Serum Ultra coating but Elias convinced me his graphene product was better in real world performance as he has access to both products but chooses this Australian manufactured Graphene product.
Funny thing is, I am getting a white MYLR. I know I probably wouldn’t have noticed a lot of swirl marks and other paint defects anyway. Still not sure why getting a ceramic coating has bugged me so much…

Looks like I’ll be the first one here…just booked in with them for next Thursday, the day after picking up my MYLR. Hope they are as good as their google reviews say they are. The MD Elias has great phone manner and is knowledgeable on his products. I was originally just going to get some tinting done with them as they are an XPEL installer and I want Xpel Prime XR Plus tint but somehow I got convinced into giving their graphene ceramic coating a whirl as well. I was originally going to go local and get Fineshine at Zetland do a Gtecniq Crystal Serum Ultra coating but Elias convinced me his graphene product was better in real world performance as he has access to both products but chooses this Australian manufactured Graphene product.
Funny thing is, I am getting a white MYLR. I know I probably wouldn’t have noticed a lot of swirl marks and other paint defects anyway. Still not sure why getting a ceramic coating has bugged me so much…
You wont regret the coating, especially after your first wash.

Reactions: Gior
Elias told me my dream of fully touchless washes was just a dream. He said I need to hit it with the microfibre to stop the contaminants from clogging up the coating and reducing its properties.
I was advised to use carpro reset every few months as my shampoo to unclog the coating.

I dont think fully touchless is possible unless your car is already clean.

Reactions: Gior
I was advised to use carpro reset every few months as my shampoo to unclog the coating.

I dont think fully touchless is possible unless your car is already clean.
Just picked up my car. The paint feels pretty slick. Didn’t see any glaring defects in it. Now I’m thinking I should have put the ceramic coating on myself rather than have it booked in with the professionals. Adam’s make a kit that is only about $350 for the full works. Anyway, it’s booked in for tomorrow. Am sure I’ll be happy with the end result.

Just picked up my car. The paint feels pretty slick. Didn’t see any glaring defects in it. Now I’m thinking I should have put the ceramic coating on myself rather than have it booked in with the professionals. Adam’s make a kit that is only about $350 for the full works. Anyway, it’s booked in for tomorrow. Am sure I’ll be happy with the end result.
The professional grade ceramic coatings last much longer than any you will be able to buy. The manufacturers of the coatings only sell the best product to licenced applicators due to the lengthy warranties involved. I’m not sure if the only difference is longevity. My 5 year old model S is going in for a light polish and topup next month as its no longer quite as smooth as a new application, which I had done recently on a new vehicle.

The professional grade ceramic coatings last much longer than any you will be able to buy. The manufacturers of the coatings only sell the best product to licenced applicators due to the lengthy warranties involved. I’m not sure if the only difference is longevity. My 5 year old model S is going in for a light polish and topup next month as its no longer quite as smooth as a new application, which I had done recently on a new vehicle.
Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating Advanced this is the one I’ve been eyeing out. Supposedly gives up to 9 years of protection. The full kit with UV light is available on Amazon for about $350. I might give it a try on my missus’s new X1 that’s arriving in a couple of months if she lets me experiment on it :)

So I got the car back after getting the Graphene coating and tinting done. Ended up getting up sold into getting a few bits of PPF done too in high impact zones. Am pretty happy with the results so far. Time will tell on the Graphene coating but the polishing of the vehicle with coating on top really made the pearl metallic white pop. Couldn’t really capture the effect on camera but I’ve attached a couple images that kind of show it. Was much more impressive in real life. I was pleasantly surprised as I didn’t think it would do much on white paint.

IMG_5916.jpeg

IMG_5911.jpeg

Reactions: paulp
I've gone ceramic tint film - harder to apply but provides similar TSER to any of the best "other" types while not interfering with RF stuff in being attenuated etc

I have associates in the body game. I'm doing clean - de-iron - clay bar - very light polish - pro grade graphene coating which according to marketing nonsense is supposed to be 10H on the Mohs scale but I suspect close to 9 point something. This pro stuff so doesnt succumb to the idiocy of some marketers saying 15H or 20H that would be twice the hardness of diamonds lol :) Im sure Ill regret owing a favour but itll be nice to have simple washes and simple maintenance for bigger stuff with bug/tar or down the track more deiron and clary bar etc. I'm not doing any PPF I'd just call in favours if it needed a quick doors on spray or something

Personally if I didnt have associates Id just DIY there isnt a huge gap in the pro (bought under licence) vs prosumer gear anyone can buy

I've gone ceramic tint film - harder to apply but provides similar TSER to any of the best "other" types while not interfering with RF stuff in being attenuated etc

I have associates in the body game. I'm doing clean - de-iron - clay bar - very light polish - pro grade graphene coating which according to marketing nonsense is supposed to be 10H on the Mohs scale but I suspect close to 9 point something. This pro stuff so doesnt succumb to the idiocy of some marketers saying 15H or 20H that would be twice the hardness of diamonds lol :) Im sure Ill regret owing a favour but itll be nice to have simple washes and simple maintenance for bigger stuff with bug/tar or down the track more deiron and clary bar etc. I'm not doing any PPF I'd just call in favours if it needed a quick doors on spray or something

Personally if I didnt have associates Id just DIY there isnt a huge gap in the pro (bought under licence) vs prosumer gear anyone can buy
It’s actually not a Mohs scale they use but a graphite pencil scale which is why the hard ceramic coatings top out at 9H. 10H and above aren’t actually on that scale. So the scratch test is testing a sample with a graphite pencil trying to scratch it rather than comparing the product to diamond. Dean the owner of Kovalent Coatings explained all of this to me when I quizzed him as to why his product had a 9H rating (a real one) compared to other products like the Adam’s with a 10H rating.

It’s actually not a Mohs scale they use but a graphite pencil scale which is why the hard ceramic coatings top out at 9H. 10H and above aren’t actually on that scale. So the scratch test is testing a sample with a graphite pencil trying to scratch it rather than comparing the product to diamond.

Thanks Gior appreciate that clarification mate. Its dam confusing. In my T&E Work we do hardness testing a fair bit. I tend to use Rockwell in HRC for my work stuff but for whatever reason the Japanese / Poorly translated English on the graphene packaging says Mohs scale on the packet my mate at his body shop showed me today. It seemed bizzare to me as 10H Mohs is the hardness of diamonds so therefore I said to my mate no way its going to be 10H Mohs it has to be less than that. So given your clarification, the 9H isnt Mohs scale either.

Im formally trained and been around a long time with T&E but Ive never heard of graphite pencil scale hardness

Can ya please educate me a bit - how hard is it? Is there a comparable measure? And these other companies claiming 15H and 20H assuming thats also on this pencil scale is that actually true given pro grade licence to buy it only stuff is said to be 10H on what I saw today

thanks mate

Hoping this copy and paste comes out ok - took it from Wikipedia
Graphite pencil hardness grading and typical applications
Tone and grade designationsCharacterApplication examples
EuropeUSARUS
9Bextremely soft,
black
for artistic purposes:
  • sketches
  • studies
  • drafts
8B
7B
6B
5B
4B
3B3Msoft
  • freehand drawing
  • writing (restricted)
2B#0
B#1M
HB#2TMmedium
F#2½*
H#3Thard
2H#42T
3H3Tvery hard
  • technical detailed plans
  • graphical representations
4H
5H
6Hextremely hard,
light grey
for special purposes:
7H
8H
9H
*Also seen as 22/4, 24/8, 2.5, 25/10

Thanks Gior appreciate that clarification mate. Its dam confusing. In my T&E Work we do hardness testing a fair bit. I tend to use Rockwell in HRC for my work stuff but for whatever reason the Japanese / Poorly translated English on the graphene packaging says Mohs scale on the packet my mate at his body shop showed me today. It seemed bizzare to me as 10H Mohs is the hardness of diamonds so therefore I said to my mate no way its going to be 10H Mohs it has to be less than that. So given your clarification, the 9H isnt Mohs scale either.

Im formally trained and been around a long time with T&E but Ive never heard of graphite pencil scale hardness

Can ya please educate me a bit - how hard is it? Is there a comparable measure? And these other companies claiming 15H and 20H assuming thats also on this pencil scale is that actually true given pro grade licence to buy it only stuff is said to be 10H on what I saw today

thanks mate
So that’s the scale. Not sure how hard a 9B (softest) or 9H (hardest) is but that’s what they use in the test rigs. From memory Kovalent Coatings certified theirs using a company called SGS who are meant to be pretty big and legit.

Graphene this is the product that was applied to my car. The 7 year warranty was registered with Kovalent Coatings the manufacturer directly and not Detail Lab.

Elastomer coating, better than ceramic and foil. It does not require any maintenance or renewal, and its durability is at least 4 years.
4 year coating? My ceramic coating has gone 5 years and I’m doing a topup by choice next month-not because it really needs it. Cannot udnerstand how that makes a 4 year durability superior

Last edited by a moderator: