Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Tesla Ceramic Coating, PPF, Tinting and other Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

Whilst waiting in the Aussie Model Y waiting room I noticed there were a heap of repeated questions regarding these topics (the thread title) as there seems to be no centralized thread addressing them for Australia.

I’m still doing research into these topics and would love to pick the brains of people who have ‘been there, done that’.

Please post your experiences both good and bad in this thread. Recommendations on shops across Australia would be awesome. (Eastern suburbs Sydney recommendations would be much appreciated 😀). Any tips or tricks you can share that can help us newbies out would be much appreciated.

Thanks all in advance!

I used ProtektAuto in Clyde For my initial detai, PPF and ceramic coating. I have been back for regular top ups and have always found their prices reasonable and the work to a high standard. If you work in the city you can drop your car off and walk to Clyde station in 3 minutes and catch a train back into town.

Reactions: Gior
How much are the topups? I’ve been eyeing out Fineshine in Zetland amongst others but they haven’t responded to my email asking about topups. Daniel from Tint Haus tells me their Graphene ceramic coating doesn’t need tops which would be nice if that was truly the case. Pretty confused atm on this whole topic lol.

How much was the whole shebang initially too? Did you do full PPF or just frontal?

I see repeated questions asking if it's worth putting "clear" tint on the Model Y rear side windows.

The answer is no, the privacy glass blocks all UV and almost all IR already.

See Tint vs no tint measurement for details
Isn’t there a UVA vs UVB issue? The glass protects against UVB but the UVA still gets through. That’s what the clear ceramic tint is meant to block isn’t it? I’ll have a read of your link now. Maybe that’s been answered in there.

Yep, answered in there. Wow Tesla has UVA protection in their standard glass. Ok, this thread is working for me already :).

Last edited:
How much are the topups? I’ve been eyeing out Fineshine in Zetland amongst others but they haven’t responded to my email asking about topups. Daniel from Tint Haus tells me their Graphene ceramic coating doesn’t need tops which would be nice if that was truly the case. Pretty confused atm on this whole topic lol.

How much was the whole shebang initially too? Did you do full PPF or just frontal?
A premium quality ceramic coating (these are only available at detailers) will last at least 5 years without the need for a topup if looked after. So if you dont wash regularly (and properly) and it sits in the elements all day than that time reduces. You can give the coating longer life with a mist of ceramic sealant (use same brand as the coating) toward the end of drying each wash. Its also an excellent drying agent. A detailer online ‘pan the organiser’ has some very good comparison video’s on dyi coatings if that is your preference, but they definately need regular topup.
I’ve just had a new car done with gtechnic brand and it sits alongside a 4.5 year old tesla with the older tech optimum brand coating. The optimum brand coating still works, but it was noticable two days ago that when they both returned from significant rain the newly coated car still looked clean. It is also much easier to clean, so the older tech 4.5 year opticoat is going in for a gtechnic treatment.
Gtech also have an excellent website with some exceptional products. Their microfibres are also very decent, especially the glass cloth and the drying cloth.

A premium quality ceramic coating (these are only available at detailers) will last at least 5 years without the need for a topup if looked after. So if you dont wash regularly (and properly) and it sits in the elements all day than that time reduces. You can give the coating longer life with a mist of ceramic sealant (use same brand as the coating) toward the end of drying each wash. Its also an excellent drying agent. A detailer online ‘pan the organiser’ has some very good comparison video’s on dyi coatings if that is your preference, but they definately need regular topup.
I’ve just had a new car done with gtechnic brand and it sits alongside a 4.5 year old tesla with the older tech optimum brand coating. The optimum brand coating still works, but it was noticable two days ago that when they both returned from significant rain the newly coated car still looked clean. It is also much easier to clean, so the older tech 4.5 year opticoat is going in for a gtechnic treatment.
Gtech also have an excellent website with some exceptional products. Their microfibres are also very decent, especially the glass cloth and the drying cloth.
Was this the Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra you just had done? I’m looking at that in Fineshine Zetland. They just haven’t answered me regarding their 9 year warranty - how it’s handled and whether any annual inspections/topups needed.

Was this the Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra you just had done? I’m looking at that in Fineshine Zetland. They just haven’t answered me regarding their 9 year warranty - how it’s handled and whether any annual inspections/topups needed.
Yes, two coats including wheels.
9 years might be a bit of a stretch so I’d be checking the terms and conditions on that, although I dont keep cars 9 years so the warranty doesn’t concern me, but the gtechniq warranty is their product only and does not include the application of it. It also excludes damage you cause from washing.
If you google the product name and guarantee you will find all the terms and conditions, including a required annual inspection of the coating. Although that is free I’m sure they’ll sell you a topup at that time for no good reason.

I am starting to think accessories. Below is my list. Comments/assistance appreciated. Specifically:
1. Does the MY come with any accessories like floor mats and/or a Cargo cover?
2. Is it best to go through Telsa for the Tow Package.
3. Anything useful I have missed?

Floor Mats x 3
Frunk Mat
Car Cover
Dash Phone Holder
Glass Roof sunshade
Tow Package
Bike Rack
Cargo Cover
Trunk Storage Boxes
Fridge

MY RWD, Blue, Induction, Ordered 22/1/23, Built 24/4/23, EDD Jul 6-27, SYD

I got my Model 3 done with IGL Kenzo and I was happy with it so have now had it applied to my Model Y. I was going to use Bowden's Happy Ending at the end of a wash to help protect the coating, but my detailer said don't after checking with IGL as apparently it can streak. Where I work is an industrial area so my car gets really dirty with laser dust, dirt etc and I have had lots of issues with water and chemical spots 😢 (detailer had to re do the ceramic coating on parts of my model 3). I would love a wash product that can help protect the coating. Has anybody used Happy Ending or anything else to help protect? Thanks :)

I got my Model 3 done with IGL Kenzo and I was happy with it so have now had it applied to my Model Y. I was going to use Bowden's Happy Ending at the end of a wash to help protect the coating, but my detailer said don't after checking with IGL as apparently it can streak. Where I work is an industrial area so my car gets really dirty with laser dust, dirt etc and I have had lots of issues with water and chemical spots 😢 (detailer had to re do the ceramic coating on parts of my model 3). I would love a wash product that can help protect the coating. Has anybody used Happy Ending or anything else to help protect? Thanks :)
I use Gtechniq Cermaic Sealant. I apply a fine mist over the paint toward the end of the drying process, so the effor level is minimal. My detailer recommended it, and it is available on the Gtechniq website.

Is there a coating for windscreen glass to stop water spots. All my recent vehicles had water stains on the windscreen (outside the wiper range) and I was wondering if there might be a treatment to prevent it? If not, what is best practice to avoid it?
You have a couple of options, both DIY and these are the same as detailers will offer you. You essentialy need to stop the water and its calcium and other impurities sticking to your glass. There are none that are detailer exclusive, unlike ceramic coatings. For around 6-12 months life GTechniq have a two part system which is essentially a deep clean then a hand applied coating - ‘nano glass polish‘ then ‘water repellent coating’. The cloths they recommend make it easier to apply, and you can do a windscreen in around 15 minutes. It isn’t cheap and the bottles are tiny but you use hardly any product. The nano glass polish should easily remove all of your existing water spots.
Another option is a spray on glass wax but you have to do this every wash. Scholl Concepts Speed Wax is a good option, and regadless it cleans glass better than automotive window cleaners.
I’m sure other brands have similar products.

Reactions: Power Hungry
You have a couple of options, both DIY and these are the same as detailers will offer you. You essentialy need to stop the water and its calcium and other impurities sticking to your glass. There are none that are detailer exclusive, unlike ceramic coatings. For around 6-12 months life GTechniq have a two part system which is essentially a deep clean then a hand applied coating - ‘nano glass polish‘ then ‘water repellent coating’. The cloths they recommend make it easier to apply, and you can do a windscreen in around 15 minutes. It isn’t cheap and the bottles are tiny but you use hardly any product. The nano glass polish should easily remove all of your existing water spots.
Another option is a spray on glass wax but you have to do this every wash. Scholl Concepts Speed Wax is a good option, and regadless it cleans glass better than automotive window cleaners.
I’m sure other brands have similar products.
You're a champion Paul, thanks.

Does anyone have any first or second hand experience with Tinthaus?

Their ceramic/graphene coating doesnt say particular brand, just say Tinthaus ceramic coating.
I wonder what product they use and if it's any good.. esp vs well known one such as gqtechniq

Your lis
I am starting to think accessories. Below is my list. Comments/assistance appreciated. Specifically:

Floor Mats x 3
Frunk Mat
Car Cover
Dash Phone Holder
Glass Roof sunshade
Tow Package
Bike Rack
Cargo Cover
Trunk Storage Boxes
Fridge

MY RWD, Blue, Induction, Ordered 22/1/23, Built 24/4/23, EDD Jul 6-27,

Floor Mats x 3
Frunk Mat
Car Cover
Dash Phone Holder
Glass Roof sunshade
Tow Package
Bike Rack
Cargo Cover
Trunk Storage Boxes
Fridge

Floor Mats x 3
Frunk Mat
Car Cover
Dash Phone Holder
Glass Roof sunshade
Tow Package
Bike Rack
Cargo Cover
Trunk Storage Boxes
Fridge

Your list is pretty nice. I had to get my mats from two different places as no one apart from one Amazon seller was selling all 9 pieces together. Ended up with Kiwi Master front and rear mats and X-car for the frunk, boot well, cargo mat and the three pieces across the back seat.

• Informative
Reactions: Epping2023