Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's even at quite a higher speed than normal...maybe it's actually good it's going back to China as it might be faster...
So 3 weeks just wasted then, no attempt at another inspection or anything. Not a single word from Tesla. Last I texted them was like days ago and they were adamant it’s still arrive in the old EDD ie max 21 Jan. I’m about ready to pull the plug on Tesla altogether.

So 3 weeks just wasted then, no attempt at another inspection or anything. Not a single word from Tesla. Last I texted them was like days ago and they were adamant it’s still arrive in the old EDD ie max 21 Jan. I’m about ready to pull the plug on Tesla altogether.
Having been on the receiving end of DAFF approvals/standards/expectations before, they may have only made the call today to turn the ship around to Shanghai. Telsa probably was only going off the information they had available at the time.

Doesn't change the fact it still upsets a shipload of customers and your frustrations are certainly understandable. It would have been better if Tesla wasn't as specific with timelines until they had confirmation DAFF had granted the ship entry (even though that is what everyone wants - timelines).

Hopefully, they chuck all the MYs on the next available RoRo heading back to Australia after a good once-over.

Reactions: Goneincognito
Having been on the receiving end of DAFF approvals/standards/expectations before, they may have only made the call today to turn the ship around to Shanghai. Telsa probably was only going off the information they had available at the time.

Doesn't change the fact it still upsets a shipload of customers and your frustrations are certainly understandable. It would have been better if Tesla wasn't as specific with timelines until they had confirmation DAFF had granted the ship entry (even though that is what everyone wants - timelines).

Hopefully, they chuck all the MYs on the next available RoRo heading back to Australia after a good once-over.
And hopefully to get a battery top up. Still disappointed in communication from Tesla. It would also be pretty poor of DAFF to take 3 weeks to make that decision

We’ll see tomorrow I guess, hopefully the info is wrong
Nah, its out of here.

1703236571807.png

And hopefully to get a battery top up. Still disappointed in communication from Tesla. It would also be pretty poor of DAFF to take 3 weeks to make that decision
Oh for sure, it turns into a PR/almost crisis management fiasco at this point for Tesla.. they can certainly learn from it and hopefully soften the blow/know what to do if it were to happen again in the future. Or perhaps enforce the companies they use to do more stringent checks before departure for countries that have strict entry requirements.

You would be surprised at DAFF and their inconsistencies. I've seen first-hand some officers waving cargo through and others picking through them with a fine toothcomb. We once used an air freight container to send items to/from Japan. When it arrived back from Japan, a DAFF officer found a eucalyptus leaf in the bottom and quarantined the entire freight. We apologised and tried to explain it was probably from the gum-trees out the back where we store the empty freight containers and that maybe it did a round trip. He didn't like our story, and still quarantined it and put it through the ringer (thorough clean and destruction of said eucalyptus leaf).

It really depends on who you get on the day sometimes. You can't argue with them, they have the law on their side and at the end of the day, it may seem trivial for just a few bugs but they are there to protect Australia's biodiversity and our mostly exotic pest-free agricultural interests.

As @syntaxfx pointed out, it could also be a call made by the captain, the shipping company or (hopefully not) the customer - Tesla, as they might also not know when DAFF might be happy to let them enter. It's really speculation until something concrete comes out.

I hope the next email you guys get from Tesla is a more thorough explanation of what happened, what they'll do to prevent it in future, and where to from here (with some nice things thrown in with your deliveries when they happen as it sounds a few people have already gotten).