Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
homelink?
Don’t think it’s an option in Australia. Even if it is, it has to be installed by Tesla. It’s not a plug and play.

My workaround is binding a shortcut to my Apple Watch accessibility, within 200m of home, if I pinch my fingies it opens the door. It’s fine but not as good as me tapping the garage door button that pops up on my car display when I’m within 500m from home.

I can always unlock my phone and open the door or ask Siri(she also needs the phone unlocked or ‘locked in CarPlay mode’) but not as easy as I have it now.

I don’t want full CarPlay but I hope one day we will see an Apple HomeKit integration 😂 fingies crossed(not pinched, because it would open the garage door and let possums in)

With delivery being imminent(I hope) the biggest thing I’m going to miss is Apple CarPlay. I have my garage door hooked up and I don’t want to go back to using remotes :( or pay a stupid amount to MyQ on a subscription to open a door.

Came from a car with CarPlay. Dont really miss it apart from Waze (but I have my phone on a holder and run it there if I need to).

I installed one of these. Works somewhat similar (apart from the Tesla integration) and has geofencing so when I approach my driveway it opens the garage door. There are a couple of options available but this is a relatively cheap option

Wofea WiFi Switch Smart Garage Door Opener Controller Work With Alexa Echo Google Home SmartLife/Tuya APP Control No Hub Require

With delivery being imminent(I hope) the biggest thing I’m going to miss is Apple CarPlay. I have my garage door hooked up and I don’t want to go back to using remotes :( or pay a stupid amount to MyQ on a subscription to open a door.
I thought i would miss it, but alas i dont.
The inbuilt Navigation is excellent, it has apple music you can just scan your login details from your phone, and free spotify.
The phone integration is quite good, alth sometimes my phone wants to use its mic instead of the car for some reason...

But yeah, if you get the garage door thing sorted, there isnt much else youll miss..

Came from a car with CarPlay. Dont really miss it apart from Waze (but I have my phone on a holder and run it there if I need to).

I installed one of these. Works somewhat similar (apart from the Tesla integration) and has geofencing so when I approach my driveway it opens the garage door. There are a couple of options available but this is a relatively cheap option

Wofea WiFi Switch Smart Garage Door Opener Controller Work With Alexa Echo Google Home SmartLife/Tuya APP Control No Hub Require
Thanks. This is basically how my Apple HomeKit one works. But my issue is I either have my phone in my pocket or just passenger seat.

I can definitely set it to open automatically when I’m nearby but I’m a bit hesitant because of the reliability and things like me driving past my house opening the garage.

MyQ is great but mate, a yearly subscription to open my garage? No thanks. It’s like those stupid door bell cameras with substitutions 😂

Reactions: MacTessy
Thanks. This is basically how my Apple HomeKit one works. But my issue is I either have my phone in my pocket or just passenger seat.

I can definitely set it to open automatically when I’m nearby but I’m a bit hesitant because of the reliability and things like me driving past my house opening the garage.

MyQ is great but mate, a yearly subscription to open my garage? No thanks. It’s like those stupid door bell cameras with substitutions 😂
Yeah id probably just go back to the button. Not that hard to press haha

Reactions: Rosier
I thought i would miss it, but alas i dont.
The inbuilt Navigation is excellent, it has apple music you can just scan your login details from your phone, and free spotify.
The phone integration is quite good, alth sometimes my phone wants to use its mic instead of the car for some reason...

But yeah, if you get the garage door thing sorted, there isnt much else youll miss..
Yeah I won’t miss anything except Waze and the garage door. Waze not being there isn’t something that’s going to bother me as much. Hope I can get used to the Apple Watch shortcut. It just takes a few seconds to run.

Hopefully they’ll just think about Google home or HomeKit integration soon. Lucky for me my garage door controller supports HomeKit, Google and Alexa.

Perhaps Google home is more likely because Tethla already uses Google services.

Reactions: dronus
Yeah I won’t miss anything except Waze and the garage door. Waze not being there isn’t something that’s going to bother me as much. Hope I can get used to the Apple Watch shortcut. It just takes a few seconds to run.

Hopefully they’ll just think about Google home or HomeKit integration soon. Lucky for me my garage door controller supports HomeKit, Google and Alexa.

Perhaps Google home is more likely because Tethla already uses Google services.
Waze is good for speed cams etc, i guess you could run it from your phone on the charging mat or get a magsafe mount for your screen. I have one to fit, just havent got around to it. Im just testing it how it is before changing too much...
I can highly recommend the sunroof shades. I got the ones with the add on reflective sheet. Made a massive difference to temperature and comfort in the car this arvo.

Plus, people really, really like looking at the car....

Ahh see how you go i guess. The homelink kit is a bit of cash for convenience. Yeah the shortcuts thing might work, ITTT geolocation type deal.. but yeah if you drive past you dont want door going up..
Yeah. I mean I can set it to close when you’re away from home but it’s like FSD. I can’t fully trust it.

This is all I’m going to miss
IMG_5461.jpeg

Yeah. I mean I can set it to close when you’re away from home but it’s like FSD. I can’t fully trust it.

This is all I’m going to miss
View attachment 1014602
You can get some apple carplay dongles, but they are browser based so wont work while moving.

What about those heads up display touchscreen hud things that have carplay? would that work?