Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's completely wrong. The new model 3 is not signigantly lighter than the old, which was very much in the ballpark of a similar sized ICE vehicle.

The Y is even closer in weight to a comparable ICE vehicle (lighter when you add in fuel to the ICE).

As I said in my post, the reason all EV's get lumped in the heavy category is the legacy makers who cannot achieve the efficiencies that Tesla do. As soon as you start comparing Teslas to other EV's is where you get really significant differences in weight (talking 500-900 kg differences).
Simple research of comparable length/quality cars like ice mazda 6 and ev polestar 2 (vs 2023 model 3) are not seeming to support your claim.

Length/ quality?

Cargo capacity is logical and both vehicles I used for comparison (camry and rav4) have less capacity than the 3/Y and very similar weights especially if you factor in a tank of fuel.

Polestar is heavier, Mazda 6 seems to come within a couple hundred kg with fuel which is fairly insignificant compared to the difference in various EVs trying to match the range of Tesla models by packing in much larger battery packs because they can't match the efficiency which is the point of the discussion.

Last edited:
Length/ quality?

Cargo capacity is logical and both vehicles I used for comparison (camry and rav4) have less capacity than the 3/Y and very similar weights especially if you factor in a tank of fuel.

Polestar is heavier, Mazda 6 seems to come within a couple hundred kg with fuel which is fairly insignificant compared to the difference in various EVs trying to match the range of Tesla models by packing in much larger battery packs because they can't match the efficiency which is the point of the discussion.

The industry does lump cars into classes based on exterior size and cost/quality, not cargo capacity. Cost /quality is important as a toyota is not classed the same as an audi, for example. You often hear phrases like “highest cargo capacity in its class”
A camry is 80mm shorter than a model s and 700kg lighter. Model S continues to reduce in weight. Camry is also some 370kg lighter (2024 model) than model 3 and is significantly longer than model 3.
The myth that ev’s are heavier is alive and well, but it is reducing.

The industry does lump cars into classes based on exterior size and cost/quality, not cargo capacity. Cost /quality is important as a toyota is not classed the same as an audi, for example. You often hear phrases like “highest cargo capacity in its class”
A camry is 80mm shorter than a model s and 700kg lighter. Model S continues to reduce in weight. Camry is also some 370kg lighter (2024 model) than model 3 and is significantly longer than model 3.
lol, a perceived 'quality' is not a good metric to use. The industry lumps cars into classes based on size and body shape. Camry is a Mid Sized Sedan the same as a Model 3.

I've used the Camry because it is exactly what we have replaced with the new Model 3 for the bulk of our driving, the Camry has been relegated to taking the wife to work and back until it get's replaced by another Tesla in a year or two. The Model 3 does everything the Camry did and more, carries more luggage, the same number of passengers at a higher comfort level, so it's the perfect comparison.

Weight wise, our Camry is 1650kg without fuel, our Model 3 is 1765kg ready to go. By the time you put fuel in the Camry, the difference is negligible exactly as the post you are trying to argue with says. 'Significantly longer', our camry is 100mm longer than our Model 3...

This I can agree with, but while legacy keep resorting larger batteries rather than good efficiency, it won't die, despite the vast majority of EV's being all Tesla's, not being significantly heavier.

Again though we are talking several hundred kg differences to get the same range, not quibbling over 20 or 30 kg and a few mm's, with the real point of the conversation being efficiency. If I want to move my family and a similar cargo load, there's no other EV that can do it as efficiently as the Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Onshore
lol, a perceived 'quality' is not a good metric to use. The industry lumps cars into classes based on size and body shape. Camry is a Mid Sized Sedan the same as a Model 3.

I've used the Camry because it is exactly what we have replaced with the new Model 3 for the bulk of our driving, the Camry has been relegated to taking the wife to work and back until it get's replaced by another Tesla in a year or two. The Model 3 does everything the Camry did and more, carries more luggage, the same number of passengers at a higher comfort level, so it's the perfect comparison.

Weight wise, our Camry is 1650kg without fuel, our Model 3 is 1765kg ready to go. By the time you put fuel in the Camry, the difference is negligible exactly as the post you are trying to argue with says. 'Significantly longer', our camry is 100mm longer than our Model 3...

This I can agree with, but while legacy keep resorting larger batteries rather than good efficiency, I won't die, despite the vast majority of EV's being all Tesla's, not being significantly heavier.

Again though we are talking several hundred kg differences to get the same range, not quibbling over 20 or 30 kg and a few mm's, with the real point of the conversation being efficiency. If I want to move my family and a similar cargo load, there's no other EV that can do it as efficiently as the Tesla.
I referenced a 2024 model camry. Unless that is what you have i was not referring to yours. Comparing the same year makes reasonable sense.

I referenced a 2024 model camry. Unless that is what you have i was not referring to yours. Comparing the same year makes reasonable sense.
lol, again totally off topic and quibbling over insignificant numbers that do not in any way change the facts you were responding to. According to Google the difference in weight between our 2022 and the 2024 is ~50kg, length is exactly the same...

Interesting, 8.7 still seems to be going out strong, in the order of 1000+ installs per day. @dronus are you still waiting also?

It is a bit of a crap shoot by the looks of things, some people get lucky and some have to wait much longer. Hopefully it'll come for you guys soon!
Nothing here. Just went for a drive to get a fix and some serenity before having visitors with kids over. It’s certainly very Zen in there.
No updates tho. Maybe I should drive to the border or spoof my gps location

• Funny
Reactions: Jules22
Finally stretched the old new girl's legs by taking a typical Easter long weekend Canberra - Bateman's Bay - Canberra return trip. A few things stood out:

- Did the entire day, return trip included, with a few hours stop at the beach and cafe on 1 charge.
- Gained 8% battery going down the range to Bateman's.
- Lost 10% range just going back up it again (may have driven a little more confidently than 'Chill' mode would suggest).
- Left home on 100% SoC, arrived back after being out all day on 28%.
- A/C was on 22 degrees the entire time, sentry mode was on all day when parked.
- Very confidently took twists and turns, overtaking other vehicles up and down the range quite easily.
- The above stats are for the RWD model.

I charge at home, so the total trip cost me $6.56 (350~km round trip).

Last edited:
It's great, I am already over 1,300km. The only issue I have is that both the front seats seem to make quite a bit of creaking noises when accelerating, decelerating and taking sharper corners. Has anyone else had this?
Sorry no, not myself, I think I saw someone else say something similar for theirs though. I think they took it for the service guys to look at.