Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August/September VIN Notifications and Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! Yeah, it'll be a recent build and your advisor will be able to tell you exactly when it was born (including the time of day!). They should be able to tell you the ETA for arriving in Vegas.

I spoke with him but he was out of office today (surprised he answered) so he could not confirm anything since he did not have his computer handy. He did say that if I have the MVPA already, he fully anticipates my delivery to occur before the end of the quarter even though the estimated delivery suggests otherwise (barring no issues identified at the SC of course). He said that at least out here, 09/08 was the cutoff order date for end of quarter deliveries.

the only outstanding step I have at this time is to upload an insurance card and he fully expects I will hear from the delivery team in the coming days.

Does anyone know how a Red Model Y with a born date of 9/7 has a VIN of low 45XXX and others have builds in the 53XXX range? How the hell are we supposed to figure this stuff out? What’s everyone’s thought on a 9/7 build for having less issues with Fit & Finish, paint, panel gaps etc. I’d really like to grab this vehicle that’s assigned to me but need to sell my current ride and am fearful there are still too many QC issues. I was expecting a 7-11 week wait that turned into getting an assigned VIN 1 week after ordering.

I don't think anyone is supposed to "figure it out" .. I say leave the production and logistics voodoo to tesla and not worry about it. Then sell your current car after you know you have gotten a good tesla. No stress.

I don't think anyone is supposed to "figure it out" .. I say leave the production and logistics voodoo to tesla and not worry about it. Then sell your current car after you know you have gotten a good tesla. No stress.

If only I could. The sale of the car is the bulk of my down payment. I can’t buy the Tesla before I sell the current ride. But we do have another vehicle in the household that I can use with everyone working from home and not driving much.

Does anyone know how a Red Model Y with a born date of 9/7 has a VIN of low 45XXX and others have builds in the 53XXX range? How the hell are we supposed to figure this stuff out? What’s everyone’s thought on a 9/7 build for having less issues with Fit & Finish, paint, panel gaps etc. I’d really like to grab this vehicle that’s assigned to me but need to sell my current ride and am fearful there are still too many QC issues. I was expecting a 7-11 week wait that turned into getting an assigned VIN 1 week after ordering.
Use the spreadsheet. Most likely if you group the cars by color you will see the Red cars have been built in batches with VINS in the same range. They are not going to paint one red car then a white. They will paint hundreds of red cars in a row. I am doubtful of anyone on the east coast getting a high VIN at this point as they have stopped shipping east coast.

I went from 9/7 delivery to you will get it by the end of the month. They are so done with me and the frustration is very apparent. She assured me they are looking at our cases every day. I guess I’m in Sales myself and Account Mgmt and communication is critical even if there aren’t any new developments.

I am also in sales. I understand you have to balance the line between too much info and not enough, but it's frustrating when I feel like I am being misled or reasoning doesn't add up from different parties. It's so so so important to be honest and handle every situation with empathy. I don't get that feeling dealing with Tesla a lot of the time unfortunately. Some have been nice, but they all seem somewhat dishonest or dismissive.

Reactions: Janene and stlclint
I am also in sales. I understand you have to balance the line between too much info and not enough, but it's frustrating when I feel like I am being misled or reasoning doesn't add up from different parties. It's so so so important to be honest and handle every situation with empathy. I don't get that feeling dealing with Tesla a lot of the time unfortunately. Some have been nice, but they all seem somewhat dishonest or dismissive.

I agree with this 100%.

Update! Refused delivery. Tons of issues. Mostly with panel alignment and paint. Also issues with panels on the inside. Delivery rep was nice and agreed that vehicle is not in good shape.

How does it work if you inspect it and refuse delivery? I am nervous about agreeing to a delivery date in NJ because I was given a MVPA and VIN 45XXX 5 days after ordering what I thought was a 7-11 week build time. It’s a Red, LR, Non-Performance, 19” Gemini Wheels and black interior. Pretty basic build. Allegedly it’s birthday was 9/7/20 so 10 days ago. If I go and see there are too many issues how does the process work? I assume I don’t pay in advance for the part I’m not financing through Tesla and just don’t give them my bank check for the rest if I don’t accept the vehicle? Can you tell me what happens afterwards?

How does it work if you inspect it and refuse delivery? I am nervous about agreeing to a delivery date in NJ because I was given a MVPA and VIN 45XXX 5 days after ordering what I thought was a 7-11 week build time. It’s a Red, LR, Non-Performance, 19” Gemini Wheels and black interior. Pretty basic build. Allegedly it’s birthday was 9/7/20 so 10 days ago. If I go and see there are too many issues how does the process work? I assume I don’t pay in advance for the part I’m not financing through Tesla and just don’t give them my bank check for the rest if I don’t accept the vehicle? Can you tell me what happens afterwards?

Very important: Bring a cashiers check for the down payment on day of delivery. I would never give them money. If you refuse, they keep you money and roll it into the next vehicle. If you decide to walk away, it takes 30 to 60 days to give you the money back. Bringing a check avoids that, even if they don't prefer it. Once you refuse, you go back into the queue for a new vehicle.

Red long range awd white interior
Ordered 9/5
MVPA 9/7
VIN 42XXX

Delayed delivery due to battery day announcements and likelihood this was a rejected vehicle (only 2 days from order to delivery)

I’m in a similar boat. I ordered on 9/10. It was a 7-11 build estimate. I got a VIN 45XXX assigned on 9/15. My SA says it was built on 9/7 which is pretty recent. I am unsure if this could be someone else’s reject too. I want the car really bad but don’t want any huge fit and finish, paint, misalignments, scratches etc to deal with. I am going on a road trip for 3 weeks in October and would love to have it before then do I can test it out. If I decide against this one I will most likely have to push it off until 11/01. That would suck but I too am curious what Battery Day has to offer. Did you reject it sight u seen? Did you ask for it’s build date? I am thinking about tentatively accepting and going to see it. I can always reject it if I’m not happy. I hope I’d have the willpower to say NO if it wasn’t pretty close to perfect.

Depends on how picky you are. Mine is a 36xxx (born date 8/23 but I can't verify that) and I'm fine with it. I only had the delivery guy note 3 things. I can see very small differences in the trim say between the front/rear doors (the height mismatch issue). They don't bother me. But then I never even noticed the same but less noticeable thing on the 2019 Camry. The only thing I really want fixed is the left rear door handle sticks before completely closing. Not enough so you can put your fingers in and open it. Just a couple millimeters. And sometime goes all the way in if I close it moderately hard.

To my thinking, if I had not been on this forum, there is nothing I would have noticed except for that door handle and only then when I actually used that door.

I picked up my MY today at Cherry Hill. Personal check wasn't an issue. No questions were asked.
VIN: 41xxx
BKzu0Go.jpg

A personal check might work for under a certain amount of $.

Very important: Bring a cashiers check for the down payment on day of delivery. I would never give them money. If you refuse, they keep you money and roll it into the next vehicle. If you decide to walk away, it takes 30 to 60 days to give you the money back. Bringing a check avoids that, even if they don't prefer it. Once you refuse, you go back into the queue for a new vehicle.

They happily took a personal check here in NJ. Cashed it too. Saw it clear the bank a couple days ago.

Depends on how picky you are. Mine is a 36xxx (born date 8/23 but I can't verify that) and I'm fine with it. I only had the delivery guy note 3 things. I can see very small differences in the trim say between the front/rear doors (the height mismatch issue). They don't bother me. But then I never even noticed the same but less noticeable thing on the 2019 Camry. The only thing I really want fixed is the left rear door handle sticks before completely closing. Not enough so you can put your fingers in and open it. Just a couple millimeters. And sometime goes all the way in if I close it moderately hard.

To my thinking, if I had not been on this forum, there is nothing I would have noticed except for that door handle and only then when I actually used that door.

I feel like that too. The forum is awesome. It it can make one nuts pointing out things I may never have noticed but now won’t be able to NOT out either them. LOL.

I’m in a similar boat. I ordered on 9/10. It was a 7-11 build estimate. I got a VIN 45XXX assigned on 9/15. My SA says it was built on 9/7 which is pretty recent. I am unsure if this could be someone else’s reject too. I want the car really bad but don’t want any huge fit and finish, paint, misalignments, scratches etc to deal with. I am going on a road trip for 3 weeks in October and would love to have it before then do I can test it out. If I decide against this one I will most likely have to push it off until 11/01. That would suck but I too am curious what Battery Day has to offer. Did you reject it sight u seen? Did you ask for it’s build date? I am thinking about tentatively accepting and going to see it. I can always reject it if I’m not happy. I hope I’d have the willpower to say NO if it wasn’t pretty close to perfect.
I rejected site unseen.

I rejected site unseen.
Sorry I didn't mean to trigger anyone. Sure, a personal check OR cashiers check should be accepted by Tesla. My point is that a check is a better process than filling out the form online where they instantly take your money. My SC was pretty pushy because with COVID-19, they want to interact with me as little as possible. "Well, if you want to go to the bank and get a check, I guess you could....". Yes 100% did because I'm not giving my money away for Tesla to hold it hostage until they pump out a vehicle that is acceptable. If they try that contactless reasoning, you are still able (and should) bring a check. Personal or Cashiers.

These aren't ALWAYS rejects. My local SC told me I will have 3 days to pick up my MY. If I don't come in it goes to someone else. There could be a million reasons why I planned to pick up a new car but then suddenly can't. This could be one of those cases.