Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what's leading to this? Price? Range? I know an established brand can't take the risks a new brand (like Tesla) can, but surely there's SOME market?

Well VW might just stick to VW branded EVs (same platform) as they don't want to worry about Audi reputation with a low level EV. If they proceed with the R8 eTron they might not need a A2/3 EV for CARB or other requirements.

Same old story with Audi. They keep showing these sexy EV prototypes and talking about "five years from now." But nothing happens, likely because they can't figure out how to deal with charging infrastructure — basically waiting for someone else to do it. It's the classic chicken or egg problem. I think Tesla has totally got it right with their Superchargers. They have a huge head start. If I was on the board of VW/Audi, I'd be pushing to cut a deal with Tesla for supercharger access.

People who say that Tesla is doomed "when the big boys get in", simply don't know what they're talking about. This stuff is not easy. You just can't throw money at it and develop an amazing magical drive train.
Good point. I never understood how and why Nissan spent billions on r&d and came up with... the leaf. It seems obvious you would need to rethink the entire car, and you'd probably end up with the skateboard design. Tesla patents can't be that perfect, and even if they are, big automakers can probably afford the lawsuit or licence.

Anyway I suppose big automakers will be buying some Model S's this year, copying their superior technology. In any case, it'll be good for consumers :)

The head of VAG recently said they are going to go into PHEVs in a big way. Well I'll take that with a pinch of salt until I can go into a dealer and buy one.

They've previously shown PHEV Golfs, A1s, A3s and A5s. Where are they?

I totally agree. Wissmann of the German Car manufacturer's Federation VDA is lobbying for subsidies again, but I don't see any serious sign of a market ready product other than the Smart EV.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.welt.de%2Fprint%2Fdie_welt%2Fwirtschaft%2Farticle112395846%2FElektroautos-kommen-ohne-Zweifel.html&act=url

Last edited:
Agree. It's just good business sense to scout the competition, especially in a new technology frontier where nobody seems to be all in other than Tesla.
Well aside from going all in, they'd be giving a rather large "screw you" to their existing, mostly conservative, powertrain engineers. I've worked in automotive, and based on what I saw innovation-wise, it's just not gonna happen with big automakers. Maybe with the right CEO (a techie, not a lawyer or economist). A simple buyout is more likely, but that's not going to happen so long Elon's around. I'm really very anxious to look a year or 2 into the future :)

- - - Updated - - -

can't edit... Anxious? Curious I meant.. Sorry not native english

Today Audi announced they will discontinue their plans to offer electric cars in the near future.

Not only was the further development of the R8 e-tron abandoned, also the electric A2 which was announced for 2015, will not make it to the market.

Seems to me Tesla's head start is growing, as other car makers are discouraged from doing their own development work. This could make the manufacturers who are licensing the technology from Tesla get a head start. This may be the only viable path in the near future. Tesla is way ahead!

Premiumhersteller : Audi stellt Elektroauto-Neuentwicklung ein - Nachrichten Motor - DIE WELT

But the A3 e-tron really stands out for its efficiency; Audi claims that the A3 e-tron is capable of 188.3mpg and emits just 35g/km of CO2, which is far better than the next most efficient model – the 74.3mpg 1.6 TDI.

Drivers can select between three different driving modes: the engine alone, the electric motor alone or a combination of the two. In electric-only mode, the e-tron can be driven at speeds of up to 81mph and has a maximum range of 31 miles.

...not bad, if it were out this summer... Late 2014?

Should have been a Model S.

More like "Should have been a Roadster." The Model S seats up to seven with huge storage and massive interior space, is as big as an SUV, rides like a plush luxury sedan, and was styled for aerodynamics but not with the sportiness that Franz would have liked.

Those characteristics aren't very Tony Stark-like. Maybe Ian's Hunmobile?

But the Roadster 3.0 - now *that* is what I expect will be the car for any superhero looking to save the planet.