Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the idea of buying the car and leasing the battery pack is genius. Then the consumer can compare the car price to its ICE equivalent and compare the battery lease (+ electricity) to what they spend per month on gas.
Or they can just compare total lease costs between an ICE and EV. If you want to lease you might as well lease the whole vehicle. Seems to be a cultural divide where Europeans generally favor the battery leasing concept and Americans generally don't.

Agreed. I predict that when people see the Model S on the road in numbers, and read about it in well-balanced articles it will start a sea-change of opinion. The large manufacturers will first rubbish Tesla and then rush to compete inadequately.

+1 That's what happened with radial tires and small cars. I don't see any reason to doubt it will happen with EVs too.

Audi spells out A3 e-tron pilot project in Colorado

audia3etronpilot.jpg

Though they're scaling back on EV models, they haven't left the building. Yet, anyways.

Having just seen two e-tron quattro R18 race cars beat the competition at the world's greatest endurance race - including against two otherwise identical lightweight diesels, which made for a good controlled experiment - I predict Audi will now firmly get behind e-tron road cars. They have always flowed down technology from their racers (quattro, TFSI, high performance diesels, magnetic dampers, etc).

Having just seen two e-tron quattro R18 race cars beat the competition at the world's greatest endurance race - including against two otherwise identical lightweight diesels, which made for a good controlled experiment - I predict Audi will now firmly get behind e-tron road cars. They have always flowed down technology from their racers (quattro, TFSI, high performance diesels, magnetic dampers, etc).

+1
I have no doubt Audi will do it right eventually, but it's just too bad it is taking them so long...

The R8 e-tron has set a world record for a production vehicle with an electric drive system on the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
Racing driver Markus Winkelhock piloted the high-performance, all-electric-drive sports car around the demanding 20.8-kilometer (12.92-mile) track in 8:09.099 minutes. With this Audi has achieved yet another milestone in its history, following overall wins at the 24-hour races at the Nürburgring and Le Mans.
“The R8 e-tron has given a magnificent demonstration of its potential on the toughest race track in the world,” said Michael Dick, AUDI AG Board Member for Technical Development. Dick, who completed a fast lap himself in the R8 e-tron, added: “The record-setting drive confirmed that we are on the right track. To us, electric mobility has never been about sacrifice, but rather is about emotion, sportiness and driving pleasure.”

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2012/06/audi-r8-e-tron-sets-new-ev-record-at.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, this is clever; Tesla could steal this idea to good effect:
On traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles, a quick tug on the left paddle shifts the transmission down one gear while the right is used for shifting the gearbox up. However, nearly all battery-electric vehicles (BEV) have but a single-speed transmission. Paddle shifters are completely unnecessary. The engineers at Audi, likely not wanting to leave gaping holes on the back of the trick sporty steering wheel, gave the two plastic flaps a new role – to control the intensiveness of regenerative braking.