Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AU Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn’t that minimal.
Thanks inventory stock S75Ds were around $138K before. These last two are $122k.

I bought my S75D for $145K with AP1.
Last week is was worth about $100K. This week closer to $90K :)
A new 75d ordered off the design studio with all options and premium selections (other than full autopilot) has dropped approx 3k.
That is what I was referring too when I said minimal price drop.

I read another article about their signed lease commitments, some $1.6bn. Landlords were saying they wont accpet breaking them early....so might as well keep them open.
This must play havoc in the minds of the short sellers though.
Landlords rarely let leasee's off the hook, but if they walk out, the landlord has to mitigate their losses and release the tenancy. Stock and staffing costs would also be substantial amounts saved, and often it is cost effective to close the dud outlets and just pay rent until the shop is re-let. Additionally, Tesla could probably sell their leases, in the better locations, at a substantial profit.

I'm in total awe of Tesla engineering but their marketing department appear to be using a chocolate wheel to determine strategy and the communications department must be using a piece of string with two empty tins on each end.
Unfortunately this whole episode reeked of “thought bubble” and poor corporate governance. In big listed companies, there should be a rigorous process to go through to propose major changes like this, covering all aspects of the business case, internal stakeholder analysis, preparation of formal proposals etc. If that was done, the issue of the cost of lease commitments would have come up, along with all the other relevant factors to consider. This looks like a “oh, we didn’t think about that” moment.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Landlords rarely let leasee's off the hook, but if they walk out, the landlord has to mitigate their losses and release the tenancy.
Or, the landlord could sue the tenant for their consequential losses. Simply paying the rent to the end of lease might not be enough. An empty storefront for any length of time is very bad for the “feel” of a shopping mall or retail strip - there is a danger of a domino effect if other lessees think the area is dying and they also exit when their leases are up. Also if Tesla is an “anchor” tenant in any location, their departure could be very financially damaging to the landlord as it reduces foot traffic.

Some landlords will have all sorts of terms and conditions in their leases to minimise these kinds of risks.

Or, the landlord could sue the tenant for their consequential losses. Simply paying the rent to the end of lease might not be enough. An empty storefront for any length of time is very bad for the “feel” of a shopping mall or retail strip - there is a danger of a domino effect if other lessees think the area is dying and they also exit when their leases are up. Also if Tesla is an “anchor” tenant in any location, their departure could be very financially damaging to the landlord as it reduces foot traffic.

Some landlords will have all sorts of terms and conditions in their leases to minimise these kinds of risks.

Yes, there are lease clauses that Landlord's try to use to stop tenants opening their stores late, or not at all, however if a landlord wants a tenant, they usually don't get their way on those type of clauses - especially with a larger private or public company. Maybe Gandel Group (Chadstone) or Westfield may try, but the penalties are defined and they would have no luck in trying to claim consequential loss. The larger centres usually have no problem in re-leasing vacant tenancies, and for those centres the lease is a tradeable asset for the tenant.
I am pretty sure that Tesla would have done their homework and would only vacate where there was a financial advantage. In fact, they had already started that process before making the announcement.
The pushback from customers was probably (I'm guessing) an unintended consequence and caused a rethink of the extent of closures, and conversely the extent of the recent price cutting.
Rather than such decisions being thought bubbles, it would appear they are well considered in a fluid environment and being made for the best interest of customers whilst achieving Tesla's stated mission of accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy.

Yes, there are lease clauses that Landlord's try to use to stop tenants opening their stores late, or not at all, however if a landlord wants a tenant, they usually don't get their way on those type of clauses - especially with a larger private or public company. Maybe Gandel Group (Chadstone) or Westfield may try, but the penalties are defined and they would have no luck in trying to claim consequential loss. The larger centres usually have no problem in re-leasing vacant tenancies, and for those centres the lease is a tradeable asset for the tenant.
I am pretty sure that Tesla would have done their homework and would only vacate where there was a financial advantage. In fact, they had already started that process before making the announcement.
The pushback from customers was probably (I'm guessing) an unintended consequence and caused a rethink of the extent of closures, and conversely the extent of the recent price cutting.
Rather than such decisions being thought bubbles, it would appear they are well considered in a fluid environment and being made for the best interest of customers whilst achieving Tesla's stated mission of accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy.
You have to be joking if you think these decisions have been well-considered.
There are so many obviously flaws with Tesla's first announcement, it could not have been well considered by more than 2 or 3 competent heads.
Think of the impact this will have had on their sales force.
They have shocked and disappointed their entire sales force, many of whom are (were) absolute zealots, loyal to the company and its mission. Then a week later announced that, actually, after giving it more thought, they will keep everyone employed and keep the stores open.
This would be poor management with a team of 10 people, let alone thousands.