Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From ~2008, the FUD themes I remember included:

1. no one will buy them, ever
2. they are slow
3. they are not safe
4. you will be stranded on the side of the road
5. they are ugly
6. they don't work in the cold
7. they can't go up hills
8. they run out of charge without any warning
9. you have to replace the batteries every 2-3 years

While some of those are still around, it's nothing like it used to be. The themes have changed a lot, and now we get things more like:

1. nobody else (other than current owners) will buy them until they have x miles of range and can recharge in y minutes
2. they are toys for the rich, not really driven
3. they are not really green
4. Tesla will go under trying to release (whatever the next product is)
5. My tax dollars shouldn't pay for this (I want my tax dollars to keep funding petroleum instead)

6. ICE company XX will roll out a 200 mile Tesla killer in no time and bankrupt Tesla.

7. Why would anyone sit for hours at.a charging station while you can fillup an ICE car in 5 mins?

8. Teslas will explode and catch fire.

remember the Broder article from february a few years back from the NYT. 8 Teslas met at the Rockville, Md Tesla service center the following saturday and 4 recreated the "memorial run" with one vehicle tweeting its "cozy tempurature" and 1 young couple went along just for a lark to have fun, all with no problems

Tweet in my feed this morning linking thestreet.com article from last month "Is Tesla's Elon Musk Just a Billionaire Welfare King?" Didn't click on the bait, but it did cause me to wonder if you could somehow design a FUD filter. Like don't show negative hashtag (i.e., -#subsidies, -#rangeanxiety, -#spacexfail).

Half joking but it's tedious how the same crap cycles.

Bwahahahahaha! I am getting a joyous laugh out of this article.

But several factors remain that work against the company, not the least of which is a major competitive disadvantage against efforts being made by major automakers

Hrmmm 2015 and *still* waiting on that "competition" of which you speak... And don't get me wrong, I am one of those that *wants* competition, I just have yet to see it. (I am holding off passing judgement on the Bolt and New Leaf until the full spec's are released, maybe then we will have Model 3 competition, but still nothing solid on Model S/X competition)

Can Tesla sell 30,000 Model S sedans per year?

...But the idea that Tesla could sell tens of thousands of Model S sedans in the U.S. is folly.

Wait, we were actually considering "tens of thousands" in the U.S. in 2012 per year *before* the car actually started selling? I didn't remember this except coming from the super diehard fans of the company... I thought 30k was for all products and was their global number... not just Model S and just U.S. sales. At least not in 2012. Either way, love that this guy thought their getting tens of thousands in the U.S. in a year was "folly" someone should ask this guy what happened with his analysis and how he feels about making those comments three years ago.

That all being said, looking at that article, at least most of those were fair complaints since we didn't really know at that time how the MS would do other than that everyone who drove one loved it! And all the other companies were constantly saying their EV was coming in a short while which panned out to be either a crappy compliance car, shelved for later, or just never making it to market (Audi e-tron with 200 miles of range, I'm looking at you...)

I wish we could get bear arguments of that caliber, because at least it would be a good discussion on the concerns and we could work through and have something to help keep balance to the bulls and keep us from getting away from ourselves and our lofty goal of a 700B Market cap... instead we get all these terrible articles that provide no balance. *sigh* Please! John Peterson! Come back! You were the best bear out there! (which is a *really really* low bar to set for someone to make a decent bear article...)

Following a BI article... I was lead to this Mercedes-Benz Is Tops In Shopper Satisfaction, But Tesla? Not So Much [UPDATED]

For the 2015 PSI, Pied Piper sent some 6,370 mystery shoppers to dealerships across the U.S. between July 2014 and June 2015. Those shoppers -- "prospects" in marketing lingo -- then rated the dealerships they visited on more than 50 criteria, including whether they offered customers a test drive, whether they asked how customers planned to use their vehicles, and whether they provided printed materials for shoppers to take home.

So things like receiving printed materials to take home = satisfaction? Frankly, I'd be more concerned the day Tesla does hand out brochures to every visitor.

I would want to walk out of there with a URL scanned into my phone (from a QR code) so I can go home and do my research. Or maybe a thumb drive with pictures and pdf's on it. Come to think of it, when I did visit a Tesla showroom, I walked out with a copy of the Car of the Year article.

But Tesla showrooms are more about information and education, than about "selling".

I've seen at the Norwegian show rooms the salespeople sit down with prospective clients and create an account on the website. They show pricing and discuss options with the customer with their active user. So many people then go home discuss things over with the wife or friends. They already then have a user and a ready set of options they can tinker with at home. I've been told many then finishes the sale online at home a few days or weeks later. This seems to me a much better tactic than the high pressure method as they get you through any questions the customer has and you make it VERY easy for the customer to fiddle with their order and you create ownership to THEIR order before they might even have decided.
And as it's only a fun game until you press OK it doesn't feel like pressure, but if you want to turn the game into a reality it's a matter of 2 clicks.

Cobos

The biggest "plus" of shopping at a Tesla store is that you're going to a nice mall with other stores of interest, rather than driving down the Auto Mile of your local city. You can't feign casual interest when you've taken the step of going to a car dealership; you're already starting with a strategic disadvantage.

Following a BI article... I was lead to this Mercedes-Benz Is Tops In Shopper Satisfaction, But Tesla? Not So Much [UPDATED]

So things like receiving printed materials to take home = satisfaction? Frankly, I'd be more concerned the day Tesla does hand out brochures to every visitor.

Pied Piper counts auto manufacturers, national dealership associations, and individual dealerships as its customers. Pretty sure they don't get a dime from Tesla.

All this study seems to do is measure how much like a typical dealer these dealerships are. At no point do they attempt to address customer satisfaction, despite what they called their "study".

The biggest "plus" of shopping at a Tesla store is that you're going to a nice mall with other stores of interest, rather than driving down the Auto Mile of your local city. You can't feign casual interest when you've taken the step of going to a car dealership; you're already starting with a strategic disadvantage.

This is quite a brilliant observation. That's how to remove pressure and instead appeal to positive motivations for approaching the Tesla car.

Curiously here in Santa Barbara Tesla is building out its Showroom right in the middle of Auto Mall on Hitchcock Street at the site of the old Buick dealership. Check out photos of the construction: Santa Barbara, California Service Center - Page 2

Curiously here in Santa Barbara Tesla is building out its Showroom right in the middle of Auto Mall on Hitchcock Street at the site of the old Buick dealership. Check out photos of the construction: Santa Barbara, California Service Center - Page 2
I read through that thread. It isn't entirely clear to me if the new Santa Barbara site is a Service Center AND Showroom or just a Service Center. I am guessing it is both based on the size of the lobby area. Here in CaliforniaI, Tesla has combination facilities near me in Burlingame and in Palo Alto, but in the SF Bay Area there are also places where they are completely separate, like in San Jose and San Rafael. Tesla does it both ways. I suppose it all depends on where they can find space available.

I read through that thread. It isn't entirely clear to me if the new Santa Barbara site is a Service Center AND Showroom or just a Service Center. I am guessing it is both based on the size of the lobby area. Here in CaliforniaI, Tesla has combination facilities near me in Burlingame and in Palo Alto, but in the SF Bay Area there are also places where they are completely separate, like in San Jose and San Rafael. Tesla does it both ways. I suppose it all depends on where they can find space available.

It is a service center and showroom. The property is quite large. Many service bays and a large showroom. It is across the street in clear view of the BMW dealer and next door to the Lexus dealer. I hope Tesla has a few cars, even CPO cars, sitting out front so the BMW shoppers can get an eye full from across the street. Santa Barbara is very affluent and very "green", I think they will sell a lot more Tesla's in this community, which already has a strong Tesla following.

Electric Car Prospects Stall, Awaiting Promised Battery Improvements - Forbes

Classic FUD. The author - who reminds me of the "counterpoint commenter" from the movie "Airplane!" : "They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into, I say let them crash!"

the author finds a disgruntled MIT professor who wants to do research into battery technologies other than Lithium-Ion (Sadoval) to say nasty things about the prospects of the technology. He then ties together LUx research's canard of $172/kWh price estimate by 2025 (made when they projected current price-kWh at $400, prior to the Tesla Powerpack price of $250/kWh) with downgrades from UBS as proof that Wall Street is "losing faith" with Tesla. The author covers European auto technology and not-surprisingly, touts Hybrid technology as both the trend and the answer!

This article is so poor and so biased, and yet will be taken as gospel by the Forbes reading subset.

Neil....really.

Tesla got $295M in subsidies for technology it didnt offer - Watchdog.org

The ZEV credit thing we heard about a couple months ago rehashed by a Right Wing propaganda rag. It basically attempts to say that the ZEV credit money comes right out of taxpayers pockets and is a scam perpetrated by Tesla. So Tesla is stealing from taxpayers and the Left is allowing it because they are green.