Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are UK Owners less fussy? Or are we getting a better built product in the first place?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Primarily I just dip into the UK and Ireland section of this forum, but I was reading through some of the other TMC forums over the weekend and I was struck by the number of threads regarding build quality/paint issues/quality control problems started by USA forum members. Admittedly most of these were older topics (suggesting teething issues), but many of them were fairly recent. I've not seen anywhere near as many stories of issues within the UK section of the forum.

Is it that the USA built Teslas are not as good as the Shanghai built cars?
Is it that the law of averages dictates the country with the higher sales numbers will experience more issues with the product?
Or is it that UK owners have a higher tolerance and are willing to accept the odd issue here and there?

There were a few threads regarding mismatched paint (mainly on white cars) on American built cars (some of the photos showed some terrible matches!) though it was the first time I'd read of such issues - I don't think I've heard of this issue coming out of Shanghai - or maybe I've not read enough of the threads here!
The Freemont built cars I avoid, I wouldn't consider an X or S until they are built elsewhere! My China 3 has not great build issues, quite a few design issues but not really build.

Reactions: goRt
Unless we are talking QC over the software. In which case....

I am disappointed by 99% of software QC ... not sure Tesla is alone on that

I wish it had an instrument binnacle

Surprised (and interested to hear) that you haven't overcome that during longer term ownership hasn't

The Freemont built cars I avoid, I wouldn't consider an X or S until they are built elsewhere!

I've had 2x Model-S, both fine. I did have them wrapped (I would for any £100K car), so "soft paint stone chips" isn't something that I would have noticed

MIA cars are a lot more hit and miss. I have a 2020 MIA one that is good, but it did need some tweaking to get there. To give an example - complaints about chrome trim alignment were a regular occurrence pre-MIC, now I don’t think it even comes up except in isolated cases.

It would be fair to say that MIC build quality is more consistent rather than “better” (Fremont can build a car properly but it seems to require all of the stars to be in alignment). The fact that they are much more consistent does lend itself to being naturally seen as better, if that makes sense.

Beyond that I would echo the general point that the refinement and materials is not commensurate with the price, or the competition. Unlike, say, Apple the aspirational premium we pay is not “felt”. A £30k MG4 I have use of doesn’t feel noticeably worse in terms of interior materials etc and in some ways is better.

If you come in expecting high end Mercedes, BMW or Audi refinement you will be disappointed, but at the same time those marques have interiors that are much more likely to date quicker, I think, as technology and attitudes change.

Reactions: CWT3LR and Doudeau
When I picked up my Fremont car in 2019 I was forewarned about the build quality issues and took a checklist but was pleasantly surprised by what I found visually and subsequently the lack of wind noise others had found back then.

20 months later I picked up my MIC car and found no issues either.

I had an overlap of a few days with both on my drive (to give me the opportunity to reject the new car, if necessary, without being left without a car) and that meant that, in hindsight, I could see some minor trim alignment issues (maybe any slight issues are exaggerated by the chrome 🤷‍♂️) on the original car and the paint looked better applied on the MIC.

For my sample size of 1+1, I ticked your 1st and 3rd suggestions 😀.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR and Durzel
I guess we really aren't simply comparing MIA and MIC cars here in the UK. It's really comparing cars made in different years.

To be a fair assessment, we would need to compare cars of the same build date across the different factories. I haven't personally seen a recent MIA build to know what they are likely nowadays, as we don't have them in the UK.

Likewise, a 2023 MIC car may well be a better build quality than a 2022 MIC car.

Reactions: Durzel
When those of us in 2019 & early 2020 received our Model 3s these had been manufactured by one or other of the two production lines in Fremont. The original included some tented areas whereas the other is more up to date & in purpose built facilities.

As I mentioned, my car was basically perfect so I can surmise it was built in the latter whereas my next door neighbour received a Fremont M3P which had a lot of very visible quality issues when we checked it over together.

That one probably came from the original line & the fact that there may be fewer complaints in the US these days could also be because that production area is no longer needed or used?

It definitely sounds like the US still have problems that China has solved - perhaps that's why they're bringing the head of manufacturing over from China to help lead the whole company.

2.5 months in I have found zero internal or external blemishes or places where the car isn't a perfect implementation of the product Tesla designed. I gave it a thorough looking over at pickup due to the occasional bad reports on here and I have no bad alignment issues, no rattles or squeaks and no paint problems.

That is not the same thing as saying that the car itself is of the same quality as other marques - eg, it's stupid but I don't find the feel of the doors shutting to be quite as 'right' as they are on other brands. It's like the Tesla doors are maybe just a bit lighter or the latch is just very slightly looser - I can't even identify what's off.. they work fine, it's just not quite as 'quality'. I also don't find the Tesla interior to feel quite as premium as my previous VW at 50% the price point.

Mind you, my advice would be don't go looking too hard for faults. If you're like me then once you know there's an issue you won't be able to unsee it. As long as the car works as you want it, I wouldn't go looking for things to be upset about.

I think its a combination of

- China do seem better built
- Tesla have made a few design changes over time to help, although the US cars will also be better as a result. I've seen the odd review that said late US built cars here were ok
- a split of new cars now with both the MY and M3, before it was just M3, and the MY does seem to have learnt lessons from the M3
- expectations have been adjusted. Before you had "the paint is dreadful", you might now get a comment like "other than the odd paint issue, the build was good"

While design and build quality are different things, I thing the design of parts with regard to how things are assembled (fastenings, felt to stop squeaks etc) all contribute to a reduction in delivery issues. Tesla constantly make changes in this area.

I have no panel gap issues or anything like that on my MY but it does seem to creak from all over the place when you go over the uneven surfaces of our roads. It doesnt come from any particular location just from everywhere mainly in the rear. Its not terrible and since i always have music on its barely noticable but it is annoying. I did notice on a trip to the continent that on smooth non-UK roads the problem goes away entirely :)

I now have a 2022 made in China Model Y LR. It is significantly better quality than the first Tesla I bought in 2019 - a made in USA Model 3 LR.

No issues with panels, paint, rattles, quality of any type. So far it's been very solid and, dare I say it, much more of a "premium" experience than the Model 3 that it replaced. Having come from several Audis before I ventured into Tesla ownership, I loved the build quality of Audi. The Model 3 disappointed in that respect but I have no concerns with the MIC Model Y.

Reactions: Doudeau
Surprised (and interested to hear) that you haven't overcome that during longer term ownership
As in not getting one of those 3rd party binnacles? Until there's a way of removing the speed from the central screen I don't see the point, knowing the same information is being shown twice means I'll be more annoyed about that than the actual lack of a binnacle.

If someone could get a screen to output the same info you get in the new S and X while also making the central screen operate like those on the S and X then I would be all over that in a flash.

Is it that the USA built Teslas are not as good as the Shanghai built cars?

That's the general view. Fremont has the most patchy reputation ... I believe it was bought from General Motors (built in 1962) and then Tesla adapted it for their own use. They also have the Texas factory now which has been designed and built with the knowledge of their own specific requirements so it would be reasonable to expect that it would be on a par with Shanghai. In earlier days at Fremont there was a much greater variation of quality so some are much better than others. When people had issues they were mostly about the fit and finish of panels or paint ... these are the areas that were noticed to generally improve when Shanghai came online. As an owner of a Fremont car I can say that the quality was certainly not universally poor ... my own car has an excellent paint finish (MSM) and is not prone to chipping or peeling. Panels are OK and no excessive wind noise. The interior is faultless and the car still feels tight on the road and doesn't rattle over bumps! So it would be too simplistic to say all USA cars are poorer than all Shanghai cars.

Reactions: Durzel
The Freemont built cars I avoid, I wouldn't consider an X or S until they are built elsewhere! My China 3 has not great build issues, quite a few design issues but not really build.
I've had a 2014 MS and now a 2020 MS Raven. Both have been fine - just a 12V battery after 4 years and the eMCC upgrade for the 2014. Never had them in for service either. Can't say the same for the iPace, previous S-type/Audi A6/Range Rover.

I have had 3 Model 3s and 2 Model Ys. The first of the 5 was built in Freemont.
Build was Ok but the four from China have been put together as well as any Merc or BMW.
Obviously the materials used are substandard compared with the BMW or Mercs but that is a Tesla specification issue.
My 2 Chinese Model Ys have been particularly well constructed. It is actually IMHO a better car than the Model 3
If only Tesla would supply leather , and real wood and decent tyres they would be up there.
They also really need to be using 3rd party software as all the gizmos are below par. Lights Wipers Cruise Control etc
I hope we continue to be supplied from Shanghai as I don't think the Berlin build will be better!

it's stupid but I don't find the feel of the doors shutting to be quite as 'right' as they are on other brands. It's like the Tesla doors are maybe just a bit lighter or the latch is just very slightly looser - I can't even identify what's off.. they work fine, it's just not quite as 'quality'.

I’m being lazy by not searching the forum to evidence this but back in late 2019 and early 2020 there were lots of discussions regarding this disappointment.

I ordered the additional rubber trim pack from a 3rd party and fitted on all the doors, trunk and trunk. My understanding was that this was supposed to (1) make the doors shut in a more premium way; (2) reduce sound coming into the cabin; (3) reduce water ingress thru the bottom of the doors.

As I recall, it was in the basic list of accessories we all needed to buy to finish off the bits they didn’t but should have added in Fremont.

YouTubers reviewed them back in the day but I can’t say I noticed much difference so didn’t bother with the hassle with my MIC car.

The soft close doors option on my BMW definitely made that door close experience more satisfying 😀.

Reactions: Mullermn
That is not the same thing as saying that the car itself is of the same quality as other marques - eg, it's stupid but I don't find the feel of the doors shutting to be quite as 'right' as they are on other brands. It's like the Tesla doors are maybe just a bit lighter or the latch is just very slightly looser - I can't even identify what's off.. they work fine, it's just not quite as 'quality'. I also don't find the Tesla interior to feel quite as premium as my previous VW at 50% the price point.

Yes, the doors are lighter than most, partly due to aluminium panels and frameless design but I suspect mostly because of the reduced amount of sound dampening in the cars generally ... which is also one of the reasons why Teslas tend to weigh less than similar EVs. The doors certainly don't make a satisfying "thump" on closing (!) ... always more of a challenge to achieve with frameless windows. Nevertheless the crash ratings would suggest that strength isn't an issue. Some other manufacturers have traditionally made much more effort in "tuning" the sounds of door closing and deadening suspension sounds because we all associate that with quality. Of course it's a trade off with performance and efficiency ... and efficiency is crucial in the EV world.