Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the 21' wheels worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a car guy, and I never usually think about ordering special wheels. But the titanium 70d I am picking up looks great with the gray turbine wheels! I am shocked that the wheels are $4,500 but even more expensive if I don't pick them up when I get the car tomorrow, so I need to decide quickly. Am I crazy for spending $4,500 extra on wheels/tires? I would get to keep the new 19' slipstream wheels, which I have no idea what I would do with. What do you think?

I have a set of both for my 90D 21" look nice but I can tell Ill be replacing rubber way more often. I have the 19s on now because of Cleveland weather with all seasons and its not the same cool look but not sure spending twice as much twice as often will look so cool. If I had to do over again Id order with just the 19" and be happy..

the myth around here is that 19's are indestructible yet the 21's are made of glass. THIS IS NOT TRUE. i've driven Model S since 2012 and it's been nothing but 21's. never had one blowout or problem. and yes, we have potholes in Virginia.

now... the rubber (Michelin Pilot Sport 2) might wear out faster, but that's a different conversation altogether. the 21's absolutely look better and perform better. better handling, better steering precision.

up to you and your wallet about the $ part.

I bought a CPO car earlier this year. It had 21s so I had no choice unless I wanted to buy new ones. They look great and actually held up in the NY snow but for next fall and winter I'll probably buy a set of 19s with winter tires. If you really think about it you are not spending extra money. You are actually just accelerating a payment you would have to make anyway. Then in return you don't have to pay for a replacement tires for quite some time.

In in So cal and i prefer the 21's. the style of the cars just looks better and the 19's is too much rubber. There is a lot of complaints over how long the 21's in tires last but so far I have 20k miles on mine without any major issues and plenty of tread left to go well into another 20 k or more. But I do regular tire rotations every 6k miles.

I got the 21's because I simply could not resist. But I can't seem to get more than 10K out of rears. I have RWD, which I wanted, which compounds the issue because all the torque from accel and regen are only on the rears. If I were to do it over again, I honestly don't know what I would do. I REALLY love the look. I think it adds just that much more. And when set next to 19's, it just looks so much better. Practical? Nope. Expensive to buy and maintain? Yup. Do I regret it? Ultimately, no. Because I was was buying the absolute ultimate car that I most likely will never be able to buy again. So I went for it.

Fortunately, I really don't ever have to deal with potholes. Thank you Lord!

21s have been incredible for me. They look so much better and my continentals lasted 20k miles, that was with alignment issues and then I got a flat, could definitely gotten another 3-5k miles from them. Just put on michilen pilot super sport, can't wait to see how they last me.

I went with the 19s with no regrets. My car looks and handles great. I think it mostly comes down to your aesthetic preference, though the above comments about wear and blowouts with the 21s are consistent with previous discussions here.

of course this is just personal preference. you need to balance the "looks" of the car vs the "expense" of replacing them. if you dont care about the way it looks, go with 19s. sounds like you obviously do care, so you need to be aware that 21's are more susceptible to potholes damaging the 21s. 21 inch tires are harder to get. i got 20's for mine as a compromise.

Went with 19" aftermarket rims ($210 Canadian each, less than half the price of T-Spotsline rims) for durability.
Ref:
Smart ED and CPO Tesla S85 in Toronto

Grey looks nice on black:
replika_r187_frontside-jpg.175379