Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App can’t wake car from sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So over the past 1-2 weeks I’ve noticed that my app is unable to connect to my 2020 MS when the car is asleep. I just get the little spinning wheel. If I use my key fob to wake up the car the app works fine. Just want to connect to control temperature or maybe charge. Seems like people have had this issue before but can’t seem to see if there is any fix? Never had this issue before. Any thoughts?

Not sure that‘s correct. A WiFi signal works too.
The car needs to wake up to turn on WiFi. A SMS Ping through the cell system initiates the wake up, I believe.

"Your phone and vehicle must both be actively connected to cellular service to allow the mobile app to communicate with your vehicle. Tesla recommends that you always have a functional physical key readily available if parking in an area with limited or absent cellular service, such as an indoor parking garage."

Last edited:
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0
The car needs to wake up to turn on WiFi. A SMS Ping through the cell system initiates the wake up, I believe.

"Your phone and vehicle must both be actively connected to cellular service to allow the mobile app to communicate with your vehicle. Tesla recommends that you always have a functional physical key readily available if parking in an area with limited or absent cellular service, such as an indoor parking garage."

Exactly the example I was thinking about. For a year I was parking in a new concrete underground parking structure without cell service, DAS (cellular) not yet installed. The parking structure did have a wireless network and EV chargers on all four underground levels.

It was in Burbank, you can’t throw a rock without hitting a Tesla. I was IT, I heard about dropped calls entering the parking structure but never a EV issue.

I know from personal experience, I couldn’t access my car remotely from my phone until my car joined the wireless network. But unlocking, getting in and driving away was never an issue.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, does your app access other features of the car? Also, some Tesla apps have a setting that prevents them pinging the car while it's sleeping. Are you using the Tesla App itself and/or have you tried another access app like Teslascope, Tessie, TezLab, or Teslafi?
No, in my case the car simply isn’t seen. I get the spinning circle and “car last seen 29 minutes ago” (or whatever) but not able to access anything as it doesn’t seem to connect. If I manually wake the car with a fob it works perfectly.

Upvote 0