Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP failure modes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should always be able to stop or turn manually while using Autopilot. Are you claiming the car wouldn't let you stop or turn?
That would be the only defect you could get Tesla to cover. Though I suspect that they would look at the logs and see that you did not provide any steering input.
Autosteer beta has always had problems with gores (splits in road), I'm sure if Tesla knew how to fix it they would have by now.

Reactions: rxlawdude
You should always be able to stop or turn manually while using Autopilot. Are you claiming the car wouldn't let you stop or turn?
My 2 FSD Tesla cars have done this numerous times, so it's nothing new. The only thing new is it happens less so owners might not learn how to instantly detect the torque early and override the Autosteer early.

Owners might think that just placing their hands on the steering wheel is good enough but I don't think so. I need to feel the automatic torque from the system and I need to instantly use enough force to prevent the continuation of sudden veering and take it out of Autosteer in microseconds.

Jalopnik is on the case: One Road Fork In Yosemite Seems To Have Caused Multiple Tesla Autopilot Wrecks
Confirmed with towing company that there have been a couple other crashes at that spot. Why anyone would think it's a good idea to use Autopilot in Yosemite valley with all the pedestrians, wild animals, cyclists, stopped cars, cars parked partially in traffic lanes, etc. I have no idea. It's too bad the guy will probably never post video of the crash, it would probably be pretty funny.
You can see why Autosteer would get confused though, I bet this is a very rare configuration of lines.
1628552672711.png

See attached photo. I’ve had this happen about two times in the location in the screen shot. Hands are on the wheel, I’ve always been able to yank the car back into the correct trajectory. Scary nonetheless. Both times the car has been on NoA, and this was definitely NOT the exit I was going to be getting off at.

Attachments

• D944FC57-ADF0-43EA-BAEF-9D3EE341A7D7.png
    D944FC57-ADF0-43EA-BAEF-9D3EE341A7D7.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: Terminator857