Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 on submitted orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this email from my DS about my end of Nov delivery (copied from part of the email).

"Your vehicle is being built with all of the new hardware. The software will have the vehicle set to the original autopilot from when you ordered the vehicle.

If you would like to turn on the enhanced autopilot or even full self-driving autopilot, you will be able to do so now or after delivery (slightly different pricing.) That is one of my favorite things about Tesla. What you ordered can get better over time instead of staying exactly the same!

Your Model X with original autopilot is AWESOME as it is, but I did want to touch base and see if you had any questions on enhanced autopilot."

You might want to check with your DS again. I am in the same situation. I ordered MX with AP1 selected; $3000. I talked with my DS on otpions after announcement. Late November - December delivery, BTW. The vehicle is being built with AP2 hardware. It has no compatibility to the AP1 hardware. Options: 1) Do no elect the EAP reducing my final cost by $3000 that I reserved with AP1 functionality; 2) Elect for the EAP and pay an additional $2000; 3) Elect EAP and Autonomy and pay an addional $5000. I choose option 3. It doesn't seem feasible that they would build a vehicle with both AP1 and AP2 hardware since the architecture is completely different; Skyeye? vs. NVIDIA.

This is not true per my DS, I just posted his email into this thread. I am currently getting AP1 software on AP2 hardware. I can upgrade to EAP now or after delivery.

Reactions: rush6410
What does the Nvidia demos have to do with anything? Tesla isn't using any of their software, it is 100% developed internally by Tesla.

Curious, where have you seen this? I would be surprised if they started over and didn't take advantage of the DriveWorks SDK in some fashion. I would think they would just concentrate on feeding the deep learning with their own data. So yes, it does becomes Tesla's unique data set that is telling the car what to do, but I wouldn't think they would bother with creating their own SDK to the hardware.

This is not true per my DS, I just posted his email into this thread. I am currently getting AP1 software on AP2 hardware. I can upgrade to EAP now or after delivery.
Thank you for the message. I didn't hear that from my DS. But, then again, I didn't push for the default option. So it sounds like they will keep some functions turned off from the EAP to match AP1 capabilities. For now it sounds like this option is only available for the folks who were in the queue with AP1 selected when AP2 was announced. Seems like a limited set of customers will have this configuration sense EAP is what is offered on new orders.

Reactions: figers
I have an X in the queue for late Nov - Dec delivery, and got the email only today. It states: "If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge." Since I opted for Autopilot, I assume it will come with AP1 functionality if I don't upgrade. Like others, I doubt Tesla is going to run a crippled version for the few people who got caught in between, especially since most of us are opting for the upgrade. I bet the amount of people who did not upgrade to EAP will be very small.

While I think the new hardware is exciting and the upgrade is worth it, I do see some issues here. Namely, I expect my car to come with the features I was promised and I paid for. This means AP 1.0 on firmware 8.0 working on the day I pick up my vehicle. It seems to me if Tesla delivers the car with no functioning AP, it would make sense to grandfather those in between orders to make up for the missing feature on delivery, rather than charge more and deliver less at first.

I have an X in the queue for late Nov - Dec delivery, and got the email only today. It states: "If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge." Since I opted for Autopilot, I assume it will come with AP1 functionality if I don't upgrade. Like others, I doubt Tesla is going to run a crippled version for the few people who got caught in between, especially since most of us are opting for the upgrade. I bet the amount of people who did not upgrade to EAP will be very small.

While I think the new hardware is exciting and the upgrade is worth it, I do see some issues here. Namely, I expect my car to come with the features I was promised and I paid for. This means AP 1.0 on firmware 8.0 working on the day I pick up my vehicle. It seems to me if Tesla delivers the car with no functioning AP, it would make sense to grandfather those in between orders to make up for the missing feature on delivery, rather than charge more and deliver less at first.
I am in the same delivery window as you. The website messaging specifically states that the the EAP software is expected to complete validation in Dec. That makes me think that we may not have AP1 functionality as a gap until the OTA update occurs in Dec.

Curious, where have you seen this? I would be surprised if they started over and didn't take advantage of the DriveWorks SDK in some fashion. I would think they would just concentrate on feeding the deep learning with their own data. So yes, it does becomes Tesla's unique data set that is telling the car what to do, but I wouldn't think they would bother with creating their own SDK to the hardware.

Of course they started over, their original AP was based on MobileEye technology and once they determined it wasn't for them they started making their own.(Who knows exactly how long they have been working on it.)

I heard it from Elon in the announcement of AP2 starting at 1:45: "This is all Tesla Vision, the software. ... We're not using any 3rd party software or anything for the vision processing. This is a Tesla developed Neural Net. And it is somewhat hardware independent; we have actually run this on NVidia, AMD, or Intel. We did pick the NVidia Titan GPU as the main chip for the Neural Net; it was a pretty tight call between AMD and NVidia but ultimately we thought NVidia had the better hardware."

If they were using the DriveWorks SDK I doubt they would have been able to run it on AMD and Intel hardware.

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: Dr Doom and EinSV

Received the same email today and have the same delivery timeframe. What is different is that my DS said he manually made the change a few weeks ago at my request. He says the system says the changes are there but why then the email? Waiting to hear back on what to do although I'm tempted to just respond to the email.

Received the same email today and have the same delivery timeframe. What is different is that my DS said he manually made the change a few weeks ago at my request. He says the system says the changes are there but why then the email? Waiting to hear back on what to do although I'm tempted to just respond to the email.
As polymathic mentioned, clicking upgrade on the email will show EAP as $0 if your DS already upgraded it (and full AP as $3k). Otherwise it will be $2k.

As polymathic mentioned, clicking upgrade on the email will show EAP as $0 if your DS already upgraded it (and full AP as $3k). Otherwise it will be $2k.
I've done just that but I want to talk to him first (he is off today). As I stated earlier he says he put everything in the system previously and sees the changes from his end. My Design Specs aren't showing the changes tho'. My approved loan adjustments are depending upon the system to reflect the monetary increase before they Tesla Lending will approve the added amounts. Hopefully he and I can talk tomorrow. If I don't hear anything tomorrow I'll just respond to the email.

My DS made my selection manually a few weeks back as well. I received the email today as well. I went ahead and confirmed the upgrade as directed in the email. I figured it couldn't hurt. In addition, I only had my DS's word with no paperwork to confirm.

My DS made my selection manually a few weeks back as well. I received the email today as well. I went ahead and confirmed the upgrade as directed in the email. I figured it couldn't hurt. In addition, I only had my DS's word with no paperwork to confirm.
Thanks, Rush. I agree with regards to the documentation but I do have emails that support what has transpired. With that being said I am still in queue so I still have some time left. my wife says to "push the buttons" so you can guess what the outcome will be. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: rush6410
We did pick the NVidia Titan GPU as the main chip for the Neural Net;

Well, I'd be careful parsing public statements as exact technology. For example Elon says Titan when actually it uses a "Tesla" GPU. (And yes, confusing that NVidia named it that.)

Anyway, my main point was to get a feel for how AP 2.0 will work, you can check out the NVIDIA demos using the hardware that will be in the new cars. Yes it is just the hardware, and who knows how much SDK Tesla will use or not use, and yes, the data set they are developing from their own deep learning of their own data will be portable to different hardware, and yes, they probably have their own bits of code too... but in general, this is what it is going to do:

With the biggest points being:

360 tracking (finally)
Better recognition of things
Better positioning in space

And based on these demos, I think it will be useful sooner than later... the tech is there. All that it needs is the learning. Which now takes weeks/months, not years.

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: Troy
I'm probably in the minority that I am choosing not to upgrade to the EAP on my on-order X. I got the email message yesterday offering the upgrade. I just don't think I will use it, and the car will be leased. My message didn't indicate how much more the surcharge would be after delivery, just that there would be one.