Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried to get an insurance quote for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I contacted my insurance, Amica last week. They had to research the car with underwriting. They called back today and told me that full coverage ($500K liability, full collison with 250 deductible) in the Washington D.C. area will be $1050/year. Liability is $395/year; $655/year is for the collison. They asked me the cost of the car and I told them it will cost about $110K.

I contacted my insurance, Amica last week. They had to research the car with underwriting. They called back today and told me that full coverage ($500K liability, full collison with 250 deductible) in the Washington D.C. area will be $1050/year. Liability is $395/year; $655/year is for the collison. They asked me the cost of the car and I told them it will cost about $110K.

It would also be good to ask them when you can "lock" that quote. My assumption is that they cannot lock the quote until crash testing results are made public and the EPA sticker is available (this is the way they get info on how much power the car puts down)

They did not ask how many miles I would drive it per year. Probably based the mileage on the other cars I insure. I told them I expect to get the car in August, and they said they would keep the quote in my file for when I get the car. I have been with Amica since 1985, and they have always treated me fairly.

BTW, that quote was before the 20% dividend they pay each year (Amica is a mutual company). So the true cost is just over $800/year.

Do you guys think that TM does some sort of "official communication" specifically to insurance companies regarding whatever information they need regarding Model S? You'd think that would be in everybody's best interest, but who knows...

I gave my Walnut Creek-based Liberty Mutual agent a heads-up late last year by sending him URLs and such regarding the Model S; he indicated that he should have no issues finding the car in their system later this year once it's in the fed database.

Liberty Mutual insures my Roadster - the only issue is that my agent wanted a ride :). He gave me a 2nd car discount and my rates went up approx $15/month. He just checked the database you're referencing, gg, and said 'no problem'.

Was just working with said Liberty Mutual agent on my homeowners policy and asked him to give me a theoretical quote for the Model S. Although he couldn't (obviously) see it in the system yet, he gave me a quote based on the purchase price out the door of roughly $81,000 (60 kWh pack + a few options + CA sales tax and registration) - the price is their main criteria anyways apparently; here it is:

2 cars (the other being an '08 Mini Clubman S), 2 drivers (my wife and I, with clean records)
multi-policy discount
liability: $500K per person, $500K per occurrence
uninsured motorist: $500K/$500K as well
property damage: $500K
comprehensive deductible: $250
collision deductible: $1,000
=========
total 12-month premium: $2,243

Not too shabby, I think.

State Farm has Tesla Model S in their system. In fact the agent listed off the choices in order with correspondingly higher prices. My Malibu runs$550 every six months. She listed off production, performance, signature or signature performance. My sig performance will cost $710 per six months. This was not an estimate.

Premature maybe, but for financial planning's sake I thought I would shop around for insurance quotes. Didn't get very far online, tried StateFarm and Geico, but Tesla is not even listed among the brands. Pinged my insurance agent, but thought I'd check with the rest of you (Roadster owners in particular) if anyone else managed to get anywhere with insurance?

Back in December, I was told by my insurance agent that I could not get a quote yet. I should try again.

EDIT: I was actually told that they cannot get true quotes until I have a VIN. But at the time they weren't even willing to give estimates.

State Farm has Tesla Model S in their system. In fact the agent listed off the choices in order with correspondingly higher prices. My Malibu runs$550 every six months. She listed off production, performance, signature or signature performance. My sig performance will cost $710 per six months. This was not an estimate.

Is that if you only had the Model S insured, or is that actually in addition to the Malibu?

Got my quote from Liberty Mutual (Abe Park 25-935-8460 ext 58197)
HALF the price than AAA and AllState.

Very pleased with Mr. Park. I recommend contacting him.

- - - Updated - - -

Got my quote from Liberty Mutual (Abe Park 925-935-8460 ext 58197)

Very pleased with Mr. Park. I recommend contacting him.

[fixed the phone number.]

Remember, which insurance carrier is cheapest depends almost entirely on *what state you are in*. The carrier which is cheapest in one state may be the most expensive in another. So most of these references are only meaningful if you sort by state. Actually, mods might consider breaking this into 50 threads. :wink:

Got my quote from Liberty Mutual (Abe Park 925-935-8460 ext 58197)

My policy came up for renewal and Abe just dropped the premium to $1,691 for 12 months for two drivers (my wife and I) and two cars (the Model S and a Mini Clubman S).

Abe rocks! (Never imagined I'd say that about an insurance agent) :)