Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in Missouri get their Missouri tags yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Plate.jpg

Picked up the personalized ones today. Understated, but I am pleased with them.

Last edited:
Ok, that's 2 people in MO with deliveries later than me who have their tags...I'm calling tomorrow. Liz or K Hall, did you do something to facilitate getting your tags? How did you know they were ready? I have heard nothing other than the request for more information a couple weeks ago. Did they come in the mail? How did you order your custom tags before getting your regular ones? I'm just totally confused about how this is supposed to work.

Ok, that's 2 people in MO with deliveries later than me who have their tags...I'm calling tomorrow. Liz or K Hall, did you do something to facilitate getting your tags? How did you know they were ready? I have heard nothing other than the request for more information a couple weeks ago. Did they come in the mail? How did you order your custom tags before getting your regular ones? I'm just totally confused about how this is supposed to work.

Hello Ed:

I called Tesla (800 #) and requested an update. They sent me all of the information including a check for the sales taxes and I took them to the DMV to recieve my regular plates. This was last week.

I recieved a notice in the mail on Monday that my personalized plates were ready to pick up at the DMV. I went down this morning and traded in my regular plates for the TESLA plates.

On another subject I had a 14 - 50 outside outlet installed that will give you 32 mph charging rates when you come to KC. I still have not recieved an update on the HPWC. You are welcome to use it anytime.

Kevin

Hello Ed:

I called Tesla (800 #) and requested an update. They sent me all of the information including a check for the sales taxes and I took them to the DMV to recieve my regular plates. This was last week.

I recieved a notice in the mail on Monday that my personalized plates were ready to pick up at the DMV. I went down this morning and traded in my regular plates for the TESLA plates.

On another subject I had a 14 - 50 outside outlet installed that will give you 32 mph charging rates when you come to KC. I still have not recieved an update on the HPWC. You are welcome to use it anytime.

Kevin
Ok, thanks...when did you order your custom tags...can you do that before you get your regular ones?
Got a meeting in KC in a few months that I'm considering driving up the Tesla...will let you know.

*Edit:
Just called Tesla, whomever I spoke with said she needs to speak to the DMV people and will call me tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks...when did you order your custom tags...can you do that before you get your regular ones?

You can order the custom plates independent of your regular plates. We ordered ours on January 10th. We did not hear anything back from MODOT until we recieved our letter on Monday February 11th that our plates were ready to pick up at the KC DMV offices.

View attachment 16467

Picked up the personalized ones today. Understated, but I am pleased with them.

Cool!

- - - Updated - - -

Got a meeting in KC in a few months that I'm considering driving up the Tesla...will let you know.

*Edit:
Just called Tesla, whomever I spoke with said she needs to speak to the DMV people and will call me tomorrow.

Hopefully they get it all straightened out for you.

I did get a call back today. Apparently those of us who got the earliest cars in MO are having delays bc Tesla didn't provide the waiver form, or proof of paid personal property tax. Apparently several people got rejection letters. Perhaps I should count myself lucky that the DMV at least requested those items from me. The agent sounded optimistic that my plates should arrive soon. We'll see...

Evan, Via Tapatalk

I did get a call back today. Apparently those of us who got the earliest cars in MO are having delays bc Tesla didn't provide the waiver form, or proof of paid personal property tax. Apparently several people got rejection letters. Perhaps I should count myself lucky that the DMV at least requested those items from me. The agent sounded optimistic that my plates should arrive soon. We'll see...

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Have you filled out the form for the Fuel tax sticker yet? I'm not sure if you have to have it but when I did mine the lady at the DMV wouldn't give my plates without paying for the sticker.

Have you filled out the form for the Fuel tax sticker yet? I'm not sure if you have to have it but when I did mine the lady at the DMV wouldn't give my plates without paying for the sticker.

Yea, that's what they sent me a couple weeks ago, I sent a check along with my property tax receipt & proof of insurance.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Still no tags, but I did get an email today asking for my proof of insurance, proof of personal property tax paid, and to complete the form for my special fuel decal. While I'd have rather gotten my tags, it's reassuring to know that someone is working on it and that there is some sort of progress.

I'll use this as a thread bump, has anyone in MO gotten their tags? Did you have the same letter asking for more information? If so, how long after getting the letter did you get your tags?
The above post was made on 1/30/13. I got a call today from Tesla (Walter) following up again to see if I'd yet gotten my tags...I haven't. He called the MO DMV and we conference called together. Rose at the DMV said that the car was still being titled and had just gone to titling last Friday! More than 2 weeks after I returned the supplemental paperwork. She said it takes 10 days to 2 weeks to get the title and mail it out. I may well need another temporary permit since mine expires 90 days from Nov. 30th which is Feb. 28th.

Sure wish they'd have just let me title this myself, 90 days for the process with Tesla "helping" is crazy.

Evan,
After my difficulty with getting tags for Lithie, I wrote an extended email to George, Matt, and my OEA Sean detailing out the information Megan at my local licensing office gave me concerning how best to go about getting a car titled and licensed in Missouri. Hopefully, they will heed this advice and the process will be smoother for future owners.

For those future owners, if not asked, I would suggest you request that Tesla send all your paperwork to your local Licensing Office (you'll probably have to supply that address). According to Mega,n the local offices can process the title/licensing faster than the office in Jeff City and the local office can call you directly to get additional information.

My 90 days on my California Temp tag expired yesterday. I'm driving on a technically expired registration. I still haven't gotten my tags from Missouri, though I'm told they're supposed to arrive today or tomorrow...we'll see. When I contacted Tesla on the 27th they promised to get back to me the next morning. But they didn't call until about 5:20pm Central time and then proceeded to tell me that due to various laws in California and Missouri that they could not issue another temporary tag and advised that I call the MO DMV...well it was too late for that and I'm in school all day today. So I guess I'll just cross my fingers that 1)I don't get stopped and 2)that my tags arrive today.

A bit annoyed since I was told that if my tags didn't arrive that they would reissue a new temp permit. I think the issue is that they just were not aware of the mandatory alternative fuel tag and that caused all the delays for me and hopefully others won't have the same issues. But still, they need to make sure my car is legal to drive since none of this was in my control.

My 90 days on my California Temp tag expired yesterday. I'm driving on a technically expired registration. I still haven't gotten my tags from Missouri, though I'm told they're supposed to arrive today or tomorrow...we'll see. When I contacted Tesla on the 27th they promised to get back to me the next morning. But they didn't call until about 5:20pm Central time and then proceeded to tell me that due to various laws in California and Missouri that they could not issue another temporary tag and advised that I call the MO DMV...well it was too late for that and I'm in school all day today. So I guess I'll just cross my fingers that 1)I don't get stopped and 2)that my tags arrive today.

A bit annoyed since I was told that if my tags didn't arrive that they would reissue a new temp permit. I think the issue is that they just were not aware of the mandatory alternative fuel tag and that caused all the delays for me and hopefully others won't have the same issues. But still, they need to make sure my car is legal to drive since none of this was in my control.

I actually informed Tesla about the Special Fuel Decal and fees two months ago. It seemed that they were completely unaware of the requirement before I told them about it. I directed them to the web page and appropriate form.

For anyone still following my saga...
After an online inquiry Monday, a worthless response Tuesday morning, a somewhat helpful call (after being on hold for 25 minutes) where I learned that my title had been "keyed" and would likely be "processed" that night I did get positive confirmation this morning that my car has been titled and that the plates should be mailed today. Probably won't see them for another 10 days since we're out of town on Spring Break next week, but at least I know that if I'm stopped that I'm driving legally (sort of).

Hoping my personalized plates come through soon too. Can't believe this process has taken over 3 months, just utterly inexplicable in this day and age.

This saga may never end....
So while away on Spring Break last week my plates and title finally arrived! Yay!
2013-03-16 15.25.17.jpg

Unfortunately, they spelled my first name as "Even" instead of "Evan" as it should be. Not sure what it's gonna take to fix that, but I'm sure, knowing this DMV, it won't be easy or quick. I also haven't heard anything about my personalized plates yet...but at least I'm kind of legal (plates on the back, not on the front and title with a misspelled name, but who's counting?).

Yea my title is not quite right as well. It has my MS as a 2013. I'll worry about that later.

Evan I drove by Springfield today on our Spring break road trip. We averaged 304 wh/mi and made it with no sweat. Charging tonight in an RV park in Branson at 33 mph. I now know that St. Louis will be an easy trip as well. Kept it at 60 mph.

Yea my title is not quite right as well. It has my MS as a 2013. I'll worry about that later.

Evan I drove by Springfield today on our Spring break road trip. We averaged 304 wh/mi and made it with no sweat. Charging tonight in an RV park in Branson at 33 mph. I now know that St. Louis will be an easy trip as well. Kept it at 60 mph.

You should've called, you could use my HPWC @ 80 amps...good to know re:St.louis.

Evan, Via Tapatalk