Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Failed to Send in my Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue in GA. Purchased my car 11/5/22 and still no registration 😑
Reach out back to your SA from when you bought your car or a local store. Or if those are not options, try to reach chat support as I mentioned up thread. Basically go to "Contact Us" in the bottom of the page, login and pick options until you see one "Do you need more help?" and click. That should open up a chat window during business hours.

One example is Vehicle Charging, Home Charging.

Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

I bought a car from used inventory on 28 of December and they have still not figured out what to do the license plate.

Car was originally licensed in another EU country, tesla still cannot tell me if they will keep original plate or replace it. 2 weeks have passed and I have no clue when the model 3 will be delivered even if it was on inventory already.

Tesla does NOT do any titling and reg - they [and every other auto dealer and manufacturer] uses a third party service that does it in batches electronically.

So your beef is with this unknown third party company.

My suggestion to anyone having problems is to NOT contact Tesla. My suggestion is to file a complaint with your DMV when the title does not timely. Every DMV has a statutory or regulatory policy [usually 30 calendar days] within which the company needs to transfer title info to the DMV. Filing a DMV complaint get the regulatory process involved - which protects YOU from claims from DMV that somehow you are doing something wrong - and this gets the DMV to contact their Tesla person who then contacts the third party contractor who then gets it done. Nobody wants to see the hefty fine from DMV for not sending in reg info timely.

Tesla does NOT do any titling and reg - they [and every other auto dealer and manufacturer] uses a third party service that does it in batches electronically.

So your beef is with this unknown third party company.

My suggestion to anyone having problems is to NOT contact Tesla. My suggestion is to file a complaint with your DMV when the title does not timely. Every DMV has a statutory or regulatory policy [usually 30 calendar days] within which the company needs to transfer title info to the DMV. Filing a DMV complaint get the regulatory process involved - which protects YOU from claims from DMV that somehow you are doing something wrong - and this gets the DMV to contact their Tesla person who then contacts the third party contractor who then gets it done. Nobody wants to see the hefty fine from DMV for not sending in reg info timely.

I agree with this except that as the buyer, your relationship IS with TESLA and not some rando 3rd party. TESLA owes the redress. So you're right, easiest to simply get the compliance process going because they won't ignore that, but it absolutely IS Tesla's problem. Outsourcing isn't an excuse.

I agree with this except that as the buyer, your relationship IS with TESLA and not some rando 3rd party. TESLA owes the redress. So you're right, easiest to simply get the compliance process going because they won't ignore that, but it absolutely IS Tesla's problem. Outsourcing isn't an excuse.
Nope. Not an excuse. You file the complaint with your DMV about Tesla not properly titling the vehicle. Tesla will use the third party as the excuse but will lean on their rear - just telling y’all what the reality is. Not who you can byotch at. 😁

Reactions: valaeyron
I'm in Nashville, TN and took Delivery DEC 7th and had to get the temp tag renewed was issued on 12/6/2022…they said it can take up to 3-4 months with my County with EVs. And temp tags good for 2 months a shot. The DEC surge probably didn't help matters. in Nashville Tesla has an email address we email, i emailed them 4 days before it expired and they issued me a new temp tag, I'm really not worried so long as they keep reissuing temp tags it puts off the $100 additional EV tax i will have to pay next year or possibly the $300 that TN is talking about increasing it to, to offset the gas tax they lose out on.

It's still happening. Temp plates in CA for almost 3 months , but it's pretty common knowledge that DMV is backed up. I picked up a Tesla Certified M3 and took delivery about 2 hours from here. I spent a couple of hours at the delivery center, and had one minor issue resolved, and also ended up having a minor issue resolved in Fremont. I have no plates or pink slip, but temporary plates, and a bill of sale showing paid registration and the Tesla electronic transfer fee. Tesla wants me to drive 2 hours (4 round trip) to "verify my VIN number." This is where I have a problem. Do they think the account that communicates with my car, is talking to the wrong car ? Is there any reason why someone that made a mistake can't get in a car and come over my way and take care of this ? Mobile service just drove by, but a certain person needs to do this. When there are no repercussions, mistakes continue to be made. VIN matches bill of sale and online account. I live 15 minutes from a dealer, the factory, and service center. If I don't own the car, I'd be glad to call the deal off. Love the car, but there are better "options" now

Same issue in California, bought my car on 12/30/2022, temp plates expire at the end of this month and last I checked mid February, DMV and Tesla were both blaming each other. I'm trying to not stress about it and try to forget about it but it's on the back of my mind.

Same issue in California, bought my car on 12/30/2022, temp plates expire at the end of this month and last I checked mid February, DMV and Tesla were both blaming each other. I'm trying to not stress about it and try to forget about it but it's on the back of my mind.
Did Tesla confirm they already received your signed documents and submitted to DMV? That is most important. I've read cases where that was not done (whether because the owner didn't know to return the signed documents back to Tesla or because some Tesla employee lost them and never submitted them or it got lost in mail) and then the owner is waiting for nothing as the DMV never got the documents. If your temp plates expire, I believe Tesla can reissue them while the registration gets figured out.

Did Tesla confirm they already received your signed documents and submitted to DMV? That is most important. I've read cases where that was not done (whether because the owner didn't know to return the signed documents back to Tesla or because some Tesla employee lost them and never submitted them or it got lost in mail) and then the owner is waiting for nothing as the DMV never got the documents. If your temp plates expire, I believe Tesla can reissue them while the registration gets figured out.
Tesla said on the phone that they sent them in the day before delivery after I e-signed everything in the app the day before delivery. DMV said they received the paperwork but said it was incorrect and sent them back to Tesla to fill out again but Tesla said they hadn't received anything back. (This was a month after the DMV said they sent them back).