Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Failed to Send in my Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this is embarrassing. Turns out my wife didn't read through her info packet after getting the car and neglected to send in the signed DMV forms. This is her car (solely in her name), so I'll do my best to blame her. It's our third Tesla, but it was the first to be dropped off without us being present during "delivery". The first car they dropped off while we were home and we signed everything then. The second car we picked up at the delivery center and signed there.

I suppose it's my fault for not double-checking what she was supposed to do. I owe both Tesla and the DMV an apology for disparaging their good names (despite the fact that the DMV couldn't have possible been less helpful).

We dropped off the paperwork at the factory showroom this evening and the seemingly-knowledgeable woman there said they'd expedite the plates through the DMV and to expect them in a week or so. BTW - On our way out of the factory, we went south on the little frontage road past the staging/transport lot and it was absolutely full of cars being loaded onto trucks. This was around 7pm
We got the plates this week. They were FedEx'd to us by Tesla. I would have thought they'd come from the DMV. Anyhow, a little over two weeks since we dropped off the paperwork.

Reactions: valaeyron
Yep, I used to live in NJ. All I was saying is you should pay your share according to where you live and that’s it. Every state chooses what they levy (and how heavily) and that is their prerogative. Wherever you live there, don’t free load by registering elsewhere.

At the end of the day, cost is cost and if you don’t like what they’re paying for (or how much they pay), use appropriate means to make your voice heard. Don’t choose the lame way out by simply cheating your neighbors.
I was not disagreeing at all-I too believe you should pay the tax you owe. I was only pointing out NJ does not collect that kind of tax. I first heard of that type of belongings tax when my sister moved to Connecticut 45 years ago. I think they did not have an income tax there but did tax your possessions, which was a new concept to me.

Reactions: valaeyron
Got my M3LR delivered on 3/16 and no sign of the License Plates yet. I am in CA.
Not a Tesla, but Still no license plates, 10 days left on temporary plates CA. Is this normal or going this slow for anyone else? has my CA plate timeline.

Unfortunately, the last digit of the zip code is off by 1. Someone made a typo. Doesn't matter to me, but I'm unfortunately going to have to call my leasing company to see how to proceed to fix it (if necessary) since I'm not the owner.

Reactions: 1stTIME-EV
Got my M3LR delivered on 3/16 and no sign of the License Plates yet. I am in CA.
You'll likely get it on Apr 15 or 16. I'm in Cali too, and if you think it's a long wait just to get your new plate, I'm on my 7th month of waiting for a custom legacy plate (the 1970's black plate with yellow numbers/letters) I ordered! That's California for you.

We took delivery of my wifes model Y on 03/09, and plates came in the mail 3 days ago (april 7th). Sounds like you are around a week ish behind me from taking delivery, so law of averages say you should be getting your plates in a week or so.

I received my tesla in late September and have yet to receive my license plate. I assumed it was the DMV being slow until I got a letter saying my registration is incomplete. I called the DMV only for them to tell me Tesla has not sent the registration to the DMV yet, and now I have to somehow contact Tesla - the phone number never works - and tell them to send in my registration. What kind of car company forgets to send in my registration? It's very disappointing, and now I risk getting pulled over for driving with an expired temporary plate.

Has anyone else had this issue before? I live in California btw.
This same exact situation happened to me…. Received delivery of my MYP in September ‘21 and still no tags…. But, I moved from CA to AZ before I took delivery, and I did update Tesla of my new address in AZ. For CA and AZ, Tesla states they will handle the complete registration but they never registered my MYP in either state (see screenshots attached). I setup mail forwarding setup with the USPS to my new address in AZ and never received any DMV/MVD packet.

I have an attorney who is currently handling the situation since April 5th, but it’s still a waiting game….

Attachments

• E7D34A11-A2E7-45DB-8313-9BF372639859.jpeg
    E7D34A11-A2E7-45DB-8313-9BF372639859.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 119
  • C4553402-F171-4651-9C2B-8E884664DE6B.jpeg
    C4553402-F171-4651-9C2B-8E884664DE6B.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 65
I received my tesla in late September and have yet to receive my license plate. I assumed it was the DMV being slow until I got a letter saying my registration is incomplete. I called the DMV only for them to tell me Tesla has not sent the registration to the DMV yet, and now I have to somehow contact Tesla - the phone number never works - and tell them to send in my registration. What kind of car company forgets to send in my registration? It's very disappointing, and now I risk getting pulled over for driving with an expired temporary plate.

I have been waiting since January (now June 28th) and I get same non-response. (I have sent more than 35 emails now). My license tags have expired too and I also risk the citations.

I am reaching out to another owner that has contacted an attorney in California and consider a 'class action' complaint.

Hal
Raleigh NC

Attachments

• Tesla Complaint Summary.pdf
    782.1 KB · Views: 53

I have exact issue except I have been waiting for 5 months. I am trying to connect with a attorney in California that was retained by another Telsa customer.

Hal
Raleigh NC

Attachments

• Tesla Complaint Summary.pdf
    782.1 KB · Views: 147
I would have been in the same boat, well there's still no guarantee I won't, but I picked up the car last week and was looking for the temporary registration to submit for CVRP rebate. Come to find out, they forgot to have us sign the registration documents - telling us everything was signed and completed when picking up the car. Because of my question on where to get this temporary registration, they found they forgot to ask us to sign and we had to drive 40 min each way just to take care of it. Pretty annoying but glad it was caught.

I have been waiting since January (now June 28th) and I get same non-response. (I have sent more than 35 emails now). My license tags have expired too and I also risk the citations.

I am reaching out to another owner that has contacted an attorney in California and consider a 'class action' complaint.

Hal
Raleigh NC
They don't check emails. Have you not tried the chat support (do it during business hours and try different options until you get one that gets you connected to a rep) or contacting your SA or just going directly to a store?
Customer Support

So I took delivery of my M3 May 24th from Maryland and they told me that they would handle the registration process since I live and the car will be registered in PA. On 7/21 I get an email from Tesla Funding saying my Lease is null and void because some numbers were wrong and they actually owe me a credit and to sign some papers and send them back to them. So I ask her is this why I still don't have registration paperwork from Penndot. She said shes not sure but she CC'd my SA on the email and said he should look into it. Here we are 7/25 and my temp tag is expired (they gave me my old plate from my trade in vehicle back) and still nothing from my SA. I am not sure what I should do at this point

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I took delivery of my M3LR in December and didn’t get plates until March, tried waiting to close to the temp tag expiration, calling them (bad idea), and trying to chat with support. They all just said sure it’s going to happen soon. Didn’t get fixed until I went in person to my delivery center, took a few minutes while someone went in, came back out, and said they had an issue submitting the paperwork and then had me sign another copy. Best bet will be to go in person if you are able to

So I took delivery of my M3 May 24th from Maryland and they told me that they would handle the registration process since I live and the car will be registered in PA. On 7/21 I get an email from Tesla Funding saying my Lease is null and void because some numbers were wrong and they actually owe me a credit and to sign some papers and send them back to them. So I ask her is this why I still don't have registration paperwork from Penndot. She said shes not sure but she CC'd my SA on the email and said he should look into it. Here we are 7/25 and my temp tag is expired (they gave me my old plate from my trade in vehicle back) and still nothing from my SA. I am not sure what I should do at this point
UPDATE: Its been about a week and I still have not heard anything back from my SA regarding the email Tesla Funding copied them on and the subsequent messages back and forth between myself and Tesla Funding. I am considering holding on to the "wet" documents that Tesla funding is requesting back from me until I hear anything from my SA.

Good luck, I moved to a new state and have been trying to get them to transfer the title to the new state since April. About every four weeks they call me to tell me I moved to a self-registration state (which I’m aware of as the car is already registered here). I’m going in circles trying to get them to understand I just need them to release the title.
B27C272D-98EA-4C63-BE58-049960D174CD.jpeg

UPDATE: Its been about a week and I still have not heard anything back from my SA regarding the email Tesla Funding copied them on and the subsequent messages back and forth between myself and Tesla Funding. I am considering holding on to the "wet" documents that Tesla funding is requesting back from me until I hear anything from my SA.
FINAL UPDATE: Just 1 day after telling Tesla Finance that I would not be sending in the requested documents that they need I was sent an email from Tesla Finance stating that my documents were processed and sent me a link to retrieve my registration.

Same issue here... got my Tesla Model Y 35 days ago and no packet in order to get my registration. Spoke to a Tesla representative after 20 emails and 5 voice mails and they said: "Oh, that is weird. That has never happened before, I don't know how you were able to get the car without getting the paperwork for it. I'll look into it". What options are there?? Legal options? returning the car? or just getting a huge fine or getting arrested because of Tesla Financial?

Same issue in GA. Purchased my car 11/5/22 and still no registration 😑