Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have the side windows heatshield sun shades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two versions: The gold series and the silver series. I have not tested the gold series.

They work reasonably well, and I keep the set in the car most of the time.

Advantages:
*They really help keep my car cooler when parked in the sun.
*They block people from looking into my car--less temptation to smash & grab my belongings (I live in a state where dark tinting is illegal).
*I have privacy when I sleep in my car, and the darkened interior helps me sleep.

Disadvantages:
*They take some time to put on the windows.
*When you open the doors the windows roll down a bit & that can mess up the look & fit.
*The ones for the rear windows are difficult to install from the front seats, and they can't possibly stay in place when you open the rear doors.
*They take up some space when not in use and you cannot roll them tightly because the suction cups get messed up. However, they fit in the frunk.

Conclusion: YMMV, but I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and that they are well worth the purchase.

--- 2nd edit ---

I forgot to mention how much space the shades take:
Windshield shade: The longest & widest shade takes up the most space, but can be rolled up fairly tightly for storage.
Rear view window shield: Shorter & narrower than the front, but still take up some space. Also it requires suction cups so it can't be rolled as tightly. The suction cups are not 100% needed, but useful.
Side windows: Shortest & narrowest of the bunch, but the suction cups are necessary, so they must be loosely rolled up for storage.

Last edited:
I've found that even the two piece windshield cover to be more trouble than it's worth. Cracking the windows a bit and opening the pano to 20% works just as well (15% was far better but they took that away--vent position is useless as there is no air flow). I've used Heatshields in other cars and the big problem with them is that there are no stiffening ribs so they don't fit tight against the windows without help. I used to keep a couple of cardboard boxes in the car to keep them against the windows.

The heatshields are amazing! Yes they're a bit cumbersome but they really do fit like a glove. If you like privacy (I use them when I take a nap in the car or have to change clothes) or just keeping the sun out of your eyes while sitting in the car charging, or just want the cabin to stay cooler in the summer then I highly recommend them.

I echo pretty much everything DavidB said as well.

People can see through the Tesla shades. They are only mesh, though they work well in the pano and rear to attenuate heat. And I can leave them in while driving, so very convenient. They fit really well. I really like them.

I got the heatshield front shield. It's a great product and very well made. I find it to be so cumbersome to use that I went back to the tried and true spring loaded shield for daily use. Not nearly as effective. But good enough for everyday use and very easy to fold up and stick under the pass seat. I use the heatshield when it is extremely hot (not much here) or, god forbid, I need to store the car outside in the heat for a long time. I could definitely see getting all the shields if I were to leave the car in an airport parking lot for an extended time or similar situation. For everyday use, I find them very hard to handle and store.

There are two versions: The gold series and the silver series. I have not tested the gold series.

They work reasonably well, and I keep the set in the car most of the time.

Advantages:
*They really help keep my car cooler when parked in the sun.
*They block people from looking into my car--less temptation to smash & grab my belongings (I live in a state where dark tinting is illegal).
*I have privacy when I sleep in my car, and the darkened interior helps me sleep.

Disadvantages:
*They take some time to put on the windows.
*When you open the doors the windows roll down a bit & that can mess up the look & fit.
*The ones for the rear windows are difficult to install from the front seats, and they can't possibly stay in place when you open the rear doors.
*They take up some space when not in use and you cannot roll them tightly because the suction cups get messed up. However, they fit in the frunk.

Conclusion: YMMV, but I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and that they are well worth the purchase.

--- 2nd edit ---

I forgot to mention how much space the shades take:
Windshield shade: The longest & widest shade takes up the most space, but can be rolled up fairly tightly for storage.
Rear view window shield: Shorter & narrower than the front, but still take up some space. Also it requires suction cups so it can't be rolled as tightly. The suction cups are not 100% needed, but useful.
Side windows: Shortest & narrowest of the bunch, but the suction cups are necessary, so they must be loosely rolled up for storage.
Update: After using my HeatShield shades for 3½ years, I'm still impressed. I use them almost every day, and they are all quite functional.

One suction cup has broken (fortunately, that cup was not needed), and several suction cups are losing their gripping power. However the suction cups are not really needed after the shades are in place--they do make installing the shades easier, however.