Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have the new heavier rotors that fix squeal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha, we sold thousands of Trinitron workstation displays back in late 80s and I can hardly answer the phone without flinching rembering all those surprised questions about what was wrong with their new display.....
If it makes you feel any better...

The reason you were getting all those questions was because those displays were pretty much the best (as a normal consumer) you could buy (IMO). I loved mine, even with this little detail.

Now that I think about it, I don't recall this phenomenon being described. The general issue of "should you tell your customers little details that might matter for a purchasing decision but -- when told -- these customers might now obsess over this detail because it was pointed out to them" -- the "Trinitron Effect". It's a specific flavor of "party pooper" I suppose.

I think the Trinitron Effect might apply to other things like vampire drain, A batteries, child seat compatibility, etc. regarding Model S.

Just got them updated on the front as well. Wasn't having major problems with squeaks but was present and car was there for something else. Done under warranty. Great service as usual.

Assume there is no downside to heavier rotors? Would think this is an upgrade but don't know anything about brakes.

It's increased unsprung weight so theoretically: Slower acceleration, worse handling and ride. In reality the difference in mass is so minor you won't notice it.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of performance in exchange for brakes that don't squeal. I hate the brakes on my Audi. Any more than a half hour sitting outside in cold-ish weather (sub -10C) and they could shatter glass.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of performance in exchange for brakes that don't squeal. I hate the brake on my Audi. Any more than a half hour sitting outside in cold-ish weather (sub -10C) and they could shatter glass.

These new ones make no sound whatsoever so am pretty happy. Can't tell any difference in breaking power either.

Just got back from the SC to add the tank armor and they said they went ahead and replaced the brake rotors too because of a low 'moan' they noticed on a test drive. I hadn't even mentioned it (noticed the squeal in the last few moments before a stop, but wasn't that noticeable so i hadn't mentioned it), but now they're silent. Over the top service again...

I have the new rotors because I asked for them as I had the squeal pretty badly. They were reluctant at first though because they said the TSB only applies to cars with 21s. This puzzles me. Why do only the cars with 21s get heavier rotors? Well in any case I don't have the squeal anymore. But they did turn rust color again yesterday immediately after I washed the car. Oh well.

I have the new rotors because I asked for them as I had the squeal pretty badly. They were reluctant at first though because they said the TSB only applies to cars with 21s. This puzzles me. Why do only the cars with 21s get heavier rotors? Well in any case I don't have the squeal anymore. But they did turn rust color again yesterday immediately after I washed the car. Oh well.

Ditto. My service center said the TSB only applies to 21" wheels, but they switched mine out and the squeaking is 100% gone. Now if they could only take care of that rattle on the passenger side that only happens around my house and never when the car is with service. UG!