Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone has the LFP SR+ in Canada yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been reading everything I can find re LFP performance in cold weather… I want to be ready to decide on whether to press that “buy now” button if we get a dump of LFP models in Canadian existing inventory… but I’m not sure what I’d do if it happened today. My existing reservation M3 SR+ has an EDD of Oct/Nov. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I’ve been reading everything I can find re LFP performance in cold weather… I want to be ready to decide on whether to press that “buy now” button if we get a dump of LFP models in Canadian existing inventory… but I’m not sure what I’d do if it happened today. My existing reservation M3 SR+ has an EDD of Oct/Nov. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
You need to be realistic about what your daily routine is. If you're driving 100 km a day but can charge every day, you're fine, even with degraded battery in the winter. You will get over range anxiety eventually. I strongly suspect the range difference between the two batteries aren't enough to make a difference with regards to range.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
You need to be realistic about what your daily routine is. If you're driving 100 km a day but can charge every day, you're fine, even with degraded battery in the winter. You will get over range anxiety eventually. I strongly suspect the range difference between the two batteries aren't enough to make a difference with regards to range.
My specific scenario is I have a daily commute of approx 150km. I will have a level 2 charger at home, so can leave home at whatever state of charge is best, but after the drive to work (75km), the car will sit in the cold for 8-10 hours before another 75km drive back home. Charging at work is currently not guaranteed and no fast chargers between work and home. Might be a bit tight on the coldest days of the winter and I’m not sure what type of battery consumption hit I’d take if I set the car to keep the battery warm all day (not sure if this is even possible or practical lol)… There are usually a handful of -20C to -30C days each winter here with more typical Jan / Feb temps between 0C and -15C. With all that said, still not sure if LFP will be practical. I’d love it if it was because everything else about it sounds better.

My specific scenario is I have a daily commute of approx 150km. I will have a level 2 charger at home, so can leave home at whatever state of charge is best, but after the drive to work (75km), the car will sit in the cold for 8-10 hours before another 75km drive back home. Charging at work is currently not guaranteed and no fast chargers between work and home. Might be a bit tight on the coldest days of the winter and I’m not sure what type of battery consumption hit I’d take if I set the car to keep the battery warm all day (not sure if this is even possible or practical lol)… There are usually a handful of -20C to -30C days each winter here with more typical Jan / Feb temps between 0C and -15C. With all that said, still not sure if LFP will be practical. I’d love it if it was because everything else about it sounds better.
As far as I understand it, sitting in the cold is not so bad, as long as you have items that normally suck battery turned off (e.g. sentry mode). Also, if you warm the car up about 30 minutes before driving, then the battery gets warm enough that a) will be able to regen properly; b) you will get the full battery level from the warmer battery (ie won't get the grey'ed out part of the battery when it's cold).

For the SR+ which is 1 motor only, it means then that during the "warm up" your motor will run to warm things up at about 3kW, which means you use about 1.5kW of energy. Let's say other things also use about 500W, so 2kW. so that will be about 4% of battery.

At the moment, (per one of Bjorn's newest videos) LFP SR+ is rated with 53kWh of energy, plus another 3kWh of buffer. So let us just start every day with 53kWh, and because LFP, you are charging every day to 100%.

With that, let us say that we lose about 20% efficiency because of winter, so instead of about 400km of range, you get 320km. You minus your 75km one way, so you have about 245km left. You warm up the car 30 minutes beforehand, with 4% loss, so about 16km, so you will be down to about 229km.

As you can tell, even if you become super inefficient on the way home, have to do a large detour, count for more losses through the day in the cold etc, you still have a lot of range left, as long as you remember to charge your battery overnight at home.

So, IMHO, get whatever battery you can faster. Won't make too much of a difference.

As far as I understand it, sitting in the cold is not so bad, as long as you have items that normally suck battery turned off (e.g. sentry mode). Also, if you warm the car up about 30 minutes before driving, then the battery gets warm enough that a) will be able to regen properly; b) you will get the full battery level from the warmer battery (ie won't get the grey'ed out part of the battery when it's cold).

For the SR+ which is 1 motor only, it means then that during the "warm up" your motor will run to warm things up at about 3kW, which means you use about 1.5kW of energy. Let's say other things also use about 500W, so 2kW. so that will be about 4% of battery.

At the moment, (per one of Bjorn's newest videos) LFP SR+ is rated with 53kWh of energy, plus another 3kWh of buffer. So let us just start every day with 53kWh, and because LFP, you are charging every day to 100%.

With that, let us say that we lose about 20% efficiency because of winter, so instead of about 400km of range, you get 320km. You minus your 75km one way, so you have about 245km left. You warm up the car 30 minutes beforehand, with 4% loss, so about 16km, so you will be down to about 229km.

As you can tell, even if you become super inefficient on the way home, have to do a large detour, count for more losses through the day in the cold etc, you still have a lot of range left, as long as you remember to charge your battery overnight at home.

So, IMHO, get whatever battery you can faster. Won't make too much of a difference.
I mostly agree with your analysis but I was expecting more like a 40% hit to battery efficiency on a cold day. That makes it quite a bit tighter getting home but probably still doable.

I would plan for 40% reduction in efficiency in winter when very cold at highway speeds, it's better to plan the worst case. I've seen even closer to 50% reduction when very cold but I'm not careful, I have a dual motor and don't have a heat pump. Newer models with heat pump fare better.
On those colder days let your charge go higher. Charging before leaving will warm the battery. LFP batteries are even safer to charge to 100% without causing degradation so that would even help.
Let the car sleep for those 8 hours, so no sentry etc. Yes, the battery will cool down, but so what. No, there isn't an option to keep the battery warm. The closest would be to plug on 120V... It wouldn't be enough to charge but it would spend that energy to slightly warm the battery. A level 2 charger would be better, as long as it doesn't finish charging too early.
You have the choice of preheating before leaving which will warm things up but consume a few kWh, or you just get in and go. If the battery's cold you won't get regen and you will have reduced acceleration. It's not dramatic, things will come back as you drive. You'll get a feel for it and decide what you want to do. I've done it a few times in Quebec winters at -20C. No regen and barely 100kW (130hp) of power... it's weird but it works fine.

you need to do 150km on a battery that can do what, more than 400? Let's say 400, and take 40% out of it. Heck, even take 50%, which leaves 200km. You still have 50km left. It will do it.

Reactions: YHZ-Owner
I would plan for 40% reduction in efficiency in winter when very cold at highway speeds, it's better to plan the worst case. I've seen even closer to 50% reduction when very cold but I'm not careful, I have a dual motor and don't have a heat pump. Newer models with heat pump fare better.
On those colder days let your charge go higher. Charging before leaving will warm the battery. LFP batteries are even safer to charge to 100% without causing degradation so that would even help.
Let the car sleep for those 8 hours, so no sentry etc. Yes, the battery will cool down, but so what. No, there isn't an option to keep the battery warm. The closest would be to plug on 120V... It wouldn't be enough to charge but it would spend that energy to slightly warm the battery. A level 2 charger would be better, as long as it doesn't finish charging too early.
You have the choice of preheating before leaving which will warm things up but consume a few kWh, or you just get in and go. If the battery's cold you won't get regen and you will have reduced acceleration. It's not dramatic, things will come back as you drive. You'll get a feel for it and decide what you want to do. I've done it a few times in Quebec winters at -20C. No regen and barely 100kW (130hp) of power... it's weird but it works fine.

you need to do 150km on a battery that can do what, more than 400? Let's say 400, and take 40% out of it. Heck, even take 50%, which leaves 200km. You still have 50km left. It will do it.
Thanks for the info. Yes - I’m pretty confident I’ll be fine with the current battery - just not sure what else to expect with the LFP. In the end, I probably won’t have a choice in which one I get. :)

Other threads are saying the E digit in the VIN is what designated LFP battery vs the older L digit for the non LFP. I took delivery of my SR+ red/Black 3 weeks ago beginning Sept. out of Oakville ON, and I have the E digit rather than L.
Does this mean I have it??

Attachments

• E6217610-2EE4-425D-8085-CA4E267318AE.jpeg
    E6217610-2EE4-425D-8085-CA4E267318AE.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Funny
Other threads are saying the E digit in the VIN is what designated LFP battery vs the older L digit for the non LFP. I took delivery of my SR+ red/Black 3 weeks ago beginning Sept. out of Oakville ON, and I have the E digit rather than L.
You can check the "charging" screen on the car and touch "set limit". There should be line markings and text above the battery icon. If there is no special "trip" marking between 90 and 100% (it just shows "100%" at the right) then you have an LFP battery (which that can be charged to 100% daily). If you have "Trip" shown at the right then you have an NCA battery which recommends max 90% daily and only 100% for trips.

Sorry but I don't think so. I picked up my SR+ a little over a month ago, it is definitely NCA, and it also has the E in the 7th spot.

What @Xelloss99 said above is the most correct - that will tell you definitely

Sorry but I don't think so. I picked up my SR+ a little over a month ago, it is definitely NCA, and it also has the E in the 7th spot.

What @Xelloss99 said above is the most correct - that will tell you definitely
Yep that’s what I noticed. And I do have limit showing…damn :( screw Canada once again lol.
we’re like an afterthought. Even our theatre screen…you tube and Netflix. US get what 20 apps to choose from? 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Funny