Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got SunPass working yet? (Florida)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SunPass slim portable works fine if you mount it in the right spot

SunPass slim portable works fine in my model S.

I had a custom Passport 9500ci installed by Technicar in WPB (they integrated the display into the rearview mirror - see pic below). I asked them about the GPS antenna for the unit having problems with the windshield on the model S. I was told it is similar to many Mercedes windshields and there wouldn't be any problem if you know where to put it. They showed me exactly where to mount my SunPass slim portable transponder. See pic below. Haven't had any problems.

photo.PNG

The new SunPass slim transponder is also working fine: 15 out of 16 successful scans, and the 16th was tolled properly due to the plate scan. I manually hold the slim transponder above the rearview mirror, horizontally-oriented (parallel to the mirror), and then press it forward against the mirror base. Because the Model S is exempt from the tolls on 95 Express, I don't want to permanently mount it up there... but that particular spot seems to work well.

@ Sunkat - whoa, I live pretty close to Technicar, and have seen some prettyamazing mods -- especially what they've done with concealed Radar Detectors... Check out this implementation concealed directly into a specially constructed rear view mirror (see the middle of the article), very impressive:http://jalopnik.com/5168541/renntech-mercedes-c63-amg-specr-first-drive
Looks a lot like what you've done here, how do you like it? Might have to do the same, looks really concealed...

The new SunPass slim transponder is also working fine: 15 out of 16 successful scans, and the 16th was tolled properly due to the plate scan. I manually hold the slim transponder above the rearview mirror, horizontally-oriented (parallel to the mirror), and then press it forward against the mirror base. Because the Model S is exempt from the tolls on 95 Express, I don't want to permanently mount it up there... but that particular spot seems to work well.
Rodolfo I spoke to SUNPASS today and there is a fix for permanently mounting the sunpass. I am getting one for the bumper today. Here is the story. First they said that if your car is registered with HOV and I95 Ride, then you can call them at the end of a month with the charges and they will credit you the cost. But wait, after that, the gal said she checked with her supervisor, and they system is now set up that if you are properly registered, it wont even charge you. I haven't experienced it yet, but for that reason I am going to have mine mounted in the nose.

Rodolfo I spoke to SUNPASS today and there is a fix for permanently mounting the sunpass. I am getting one for the bumper today. Here is the story. First they said that if your car is registered with HOV and I95 Ride, then you can call them at the end of a month with the charges and they will credit you the cost. But wait, after that, the gal said she checked with her supervisor, and they system is now set up that if you are properly registered, it wont even charge you. I haven't experienced it yet, but for that reason I am going to have mine mounted in the nose.

Now that is great news. Are you mounting the slim inside the nose, or going with the external license plate thing?

This is easy to test. I doubt it is true. Next time I go through when it's $0.25, I'll try it and report, but I don't use it often. Maybe someone else wants to try first.

It is the best way to do things, no stickers or other voodoo required. Have everybody get tagged with SunPass, and charge or not based on a simple database query of whether the car is registered as 95-Express exempt or not. However, it is often too much to hope that our dear old guvmint will do things the best or most efficient way, so I haven't counted on it. :)

Webesee. :-D

Now that is great news. Are you mounting the slim inside the nose, or going with the external license plate thing?
I stopped by Tesla SC without an appt. and they were nice enough to do it in 5 min no charge. they say the P models are easier than the S and it mounts INSIDE the nosecone. So far it works just fine. I will check my bill each month and if there are significant charges (if any) I will just call and report it. I do travel I95 sometimes when it is over $5, last month would have saved me about $27 so it would be worth the call, or I will have my assistant call for me. However if what they told me in the end was true, there shouldn't be any charges.
Good luck

Not sure many people know this but you DO NOT NEED TO MOUNT A TRANSPONDER to use Sunpass. They've successfully moved to toll by plate on every Sunpass lane EXCEPT at Sunpass Plus locations. Sunpass Plus locations let you use your transponder to pay for parking at the following airports: MIA, Palm Beach, FLL, Tampa and Orlando.

Best part about not needing a transponder? Getting glamour shots of your Model S every now and then on the Sunpass website, like this one from last week ;)

plate.jpg

Plus, when you mount your transponder in an inaccessible location on your Model S, you get charged for I-95 Express usage and have to call to get it credited. If you don't have the transponder mounted, no need to call.

Not sure many people know this but you DO NOT NEED TO MOUNT A TRANSPONDER to use Sunpass. They've successfully moved to toll by plate on every Sunpass lane EXCEPT at Sunpass Plus locations. Sunpass Plus locations let you use your transponder to pay for parking at the following airports: MIA, Palm Beach, FLL, Tampa and Orlando.

Best part about not needing a transponder? Getting glamour shots of your Model S every now and then on the Sunpass website, like this one from last week ;)

View attachment 21973

Plus, when you mount your transponder in an inaccessible location on your Model S, you get charged for I-95 Express usage and have to call to get it credited. If you don't have the transponder mounted, no need to call.

But then don't you keep getting letters that you have to respond to with your Sunpass account? Otherwise they will just keep a tab on your license plate and when to go to renew, you will have a really big bill. Just because they picture your tag, doesn't mean they will bill your account unless you have a transponder attached to that plate, and from what they say all of these transponders are portable thus you should need to validate and have them put each charge on your account. Not something I would want to do.

I have never received any letters for toll violations. The transponder is attached to the plate but sits in my glove box every time I drive through a Sunpass lane.

All I'm trying to get across is that we shouldn't freak out and jump through all these hoops to mount the transponder since it's not necessary.

Nick--no tools needed. Instead of working from the top corner of the nosecone, place your fingers under the lower lip of the nose cone to one side and gently press up. This will release small plastic toothed tabs along the bottom edge. Once the bottom edge is free, then gently pull to extract the upper edge from the metal clips.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, we may have stumbled on a neat workaround for any Sunpass transponder issues.

I was driving to a Marlins game going East on 836. When I took the exit for the Ballpark and went through the Sunpass lane all the way to the right with my transponder in my glove box I heard an audible beep of the transponder being hit by the Sunpass collection device. Anyone else have similar results?

Hi I just went to Key West from Ocala on the Florida turnpike and I forgot my transponder, but it worked just fine from my gun safe at home:biggrin: every one hit my CC

Been saying this for years. YOU DO NOT NEED TO MOUNT A TRANSPONDER since Sunpass also takes a picture of your license plate. You only need the transponder if you'd like to pay for airport parking using Sunpass. In that case, you take it out of your glove box and hold it up.

Been saying this for years. YOU DO NOT NEED TO MOUNT A TRANSPONDER since Sunpass also takes a picture of your license plate. You only need the transponder if you'd like to pay for airport parking using Sunpass. In that case, you take it out of your glove box and hold it up.

But is the toll the same for license reading vs sunpass transponder reading? I for one am not sure, but I know there are two different toll charts.