Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bought Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS tires yet? 70k warranty!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But still the P7's shouldn't have this problem with an 85D, with all 4 pulling right?

I have a brand new set of P7's on my 85D, and I can not get the traction control to activate. They are so nice and quiet, I'm thrilled so far!

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone losing grip w/the P7's on a 85D/90D on launch? I skimmed the thread but couldnt pick up any 85D owners. From this thread it's fairly obvious the P7's can't handle a P85/P85D.

edit- Wow, I think I went through every post/sig and couldn't find even one 85D owner. Everyone is either S85 or P85/P85D. Go figure.

See my post above this one.

For the record, I swapped the wheels from my S85 (19" cyclones with primacy) to my new 85D and put the P7's on it. Selling the new 21's on the S85.

I have a brand new set of P7's on my 85D, and I can not get the traction control to activate. They are so nice and quiet, I'm thrilled so far!

For the record, I swapped the wheels from my S85 (19" cyclones with primacy) to my new 85D and put the P7's on it. Selling the new 21's on the S85.
This is what I thought about the 85D, thanks for the info! I love the cyclones, I'm looking around for a used set. It seems P7's are great for S85/85D's from other threads and post above.

Just had my winters put on. My original Michelin Primacy MXM4s are finally shot but I got 49,552 miles out of them on my S85 (early 2014). I kept on the 5-6K rotation schedule and checking pressures weekly which helped but I still seem to have done better than most with them.

The Pirelli Cinturato P7s look interesting and seem to be better reviewed all around. Would I be crazy to go with those next time? The Michelins did well until about the 45K mark then started breaking down fast.

Also, since I do have winters, should I be looking at something other than all seasons for the off months? I don't want to be totally screwed if I guess wrong on the change over (New England is all over the place in weather) but since I have good winter tires (Nokians) should I be looking for more pure summer ones (4/1-11/1 range in New England).

I have them, about 9k on them.

on the P85, and seriously spirited driving, i'm very unimpressed with handling and traction. I should have purchased a Z rated tire.

but, they're SUPER quiet, and wearing / holding up well.

Agree. They were my 2nd set. They are very quiet and long-lasting but bit deficient on the handling side. But everything's a compromise on tires.

Reactions: Drucifer
I have them, about 9k on them.

on the P85, and seriously spirited driving, i'm very unimpressed with handling and traction. I should have purchased a Z rated tire.

but, they're SUPER quiet, and wearing / holding up well.

This is why they are my winter tires on 19s. The work well for that task. They also keep me from having an $1700 annual replacement bill on my 21s.

Just had my winters put on. My original Michelin Primacy MXM4s are finally shot but I got 49,552 miles out of them on my S85 (early 2014). I kept on the 5-6K rotation schedule and checking pressures weekly which helped but I still seem to have done better than most with them.

The Pirelli Cinturato P7s look interesting and seem to be better reviewed all around. Would I be crazy to go with those next time? The Michelins did well until about the 45K mark then started breaking down fast.

I have an early 2014 85 as well. Just like you, I started with the MXM4. Had a flat, tried the cheaper Goodyear and they were not good. Didn't last long and worse traction IMHO. Then I tried the Pirelli P7. They lasted 45k miles on my rear tires but I do not like them. Their grip isn't has good and I had other issues with them. Energy usage was fine, though. Just two weeks ago I had to replace them and I went with the Michelin MXM4 again. Just finished a 4,000 mile road trip and they are awesome. I'm going to stay with them next time as well.

A member of our local Tesla club just returned his Pirelli Cinturatos. He has a regular 85 (not D, not performance) and he hated the feel. He said they felt like "driving on marbles". He went back to Michelin within a week.

I'm not this guy that Amped is referring to, but add me to the list of people who absolutely HATED these Pirelli Cinturatos P7's . they dont hold traction. I also went back to Michelin. I did the swap a few weeks ago. fyi here's a picture of how my Pirelli Cinturatos P7's ended up: warped,cupped,feathered, burned down to absolute crap. they wobbled and made a rotational thud thud thud thud thud thud thud sounded like it had a gas engine revving up.

pirelli.JPG

Attachments

• pirelli.JPG
    pirelli.JPG
    346.6 KB · Views: 36
I've had mine for over a year / 12k miles and they have been great. I have them mounted in 19 inch Rial aftermarket rims and change to my 21s and Contis in the summer though.

2 points. 1st - they felt like crap for the first 1000 miles or so. I have to wonder if there is some removal of the outer molecular layers of the rubber needed or some sidewall flexing needed to break them in. After about a month they were much better.

2nd - they can't and will never be able to hold traction on a full launch with a P85 RWD.

I'm not this guy that Amped is referring to, but add me to the list of people who absolutely HATED these Pirelli Cinturatos P7's . they dont hold traction. I also went back to Michelin. I did the swap a few weeks ago. fyi here's a picture of how my Pirelli Cinturatos P7's ended up: warped,cupped,feathered, burned down to absolute crap. they wobbled and made a rotational thud thud thud thud thud thud thud sounded like it had a gas engine revving up.

View attachment 202611

Those photos suggest serious alignment issues.

Reactions: ciparis and David99
Those photos suggest serious alignment issues.

I have these on my S85 and have similar problems with cupping and rotational thuds after only a few thousand miles and my car was aligned by Tesla service right before I had them installed last fall. I switched to my summer 21s in the spring and all the thuds resolved - I just put the 19in with P7 back on and the thudding is back - Tesla also realigned by car again when they did the trade but its made no difference. I just think these tires are a bad choice.

I have these on my S85 and have similar problems with cupping and rotational thuds after only a few thousand miles and my car was aligned by Tesla service right before I had them installed last fall. I switched to my summer 21s in the spring and all the thuds resolved - I just put the 19in with P7 back on and the thudding is back - Tesla also realigned by car again when they did the trade but its made no difference. I just think these tires are a bad choice.

yeah same thing. I had those tires mounted the SAME DAY Tesla did an alignment and I rotated once and already had feathering/cupping starting at 7k miles.