Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Signature Model X owners NOT receive their car yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW! you and Chanman deserve some kind of compensation. Your VIN is probably going to indicate a 2015 manufacturing date knocking who knows how much off the value right off the bat. You should have the right to say just give me the next car meeting my configuration and let TM deal with the specific vehicle that obviously has serious issues IMO
I believe they are all getting 2016 VINs.

WOW! you and Chanman deserve some kind of compensation. Your VIN is probably going to indicate a 2015 manufacturing date knocking who knows how much off the value right off the bat. You should have the right to say just give me the next car meeting my configuration and let TM deal with the specific vehicle that obviously has serious issues IMO

I've got a December 2015 manufacturing date, but it's a 2016. Tesla deviated from their standard. At the moment all X's are 2016's.

It's been 5 months since initial deliveries.

Frankly, if Tesla is having issues with some early VINs that require 2, 3, or more months to work out, they should have just built entirely new cars for reservation holders and used the older ones as showroom demos. A new build would probably have been faster than Tesla putting problem cars in the back lot and :cursing:ing around with them for weeks while Sig Series customers watch general production vehicles get delivered.

You'd think that given the experience with the Model S, this wouldn't have happened again. Early adopters may be willing to put up with this stuff, but a lot of Model 3 buyers will probably jump ship rather than suffer the inconvenience, especially if they need to have a car for work and life.

It's been 5 months since initial deliveries.

Frankly, if Tesla is having issues with some early VINs that require 2, 3, or more months to work out, they should have just built entirely new cars for reservation holders and used the older ones as showroom demos. A new build would probably have been faster than Tesla putting problem cars in the back lot and :cursing:ing around with them for weeks while Sig Series customers watch general production vehicles get delivered.

You'd think that given the experience with the Model S, this wouldn't have happened again. Early adopters may be willing to put up with this stuff, but a lot of Model 3 buyers will probably jump ship rather than suffer the inconvenience, especially if they need to have a car for work and life.

Signatures and Founders editions were supposed to be rare and perhaps collectible. Should they double the number produced there would be some very angry collectors.

Signatures and Founders editions were supposed to be rare and perhaps collectible. Should they double the number produced there would be some very angry collectors.

I'm going to guess that most of the people who put down $ on a Founders or Signature series Model X are either (1) insiders, in the case of most Founders or (2) Early adopters who want a tech product to actually use, rather than a "baseball card" to keep in a collector's garage. Other than some signature badges on the side and possibly Signature Red exterior color (if option was selected), there's not much to distinguish a Signature series car from a Production series car.

I'd rather Tesla keep the majority happy: those people who actually want to use their cars to drive to work, vacation, or wherever else they might want to go.

I'm going to guess that most of the people who put down $ on a Founders or Signature series Model X are either (1) insiders, in the case of most Founders or (2) Early adopters who want a tech product to actually use, rather than a "baseball card" to keep in a collector's garage. Other than some signature badges on the side and possibly Signature Red exterior color (if option was selected), there's not much to distinguish a Signature series car from a Production series car.

I'd rather Tesla keep the majority happy: those people who actually want to use their cars to drive to work, vacation, or wherever else they might want to go.

The Founders have a unique VIN. Not sure about the Signatures.

I went to Seattle today to test drive an X and I have to say the car is great, but, and that's why I'm writing this, the 2nd and 3rd row seats just feel lacking (as compared to the S) IMHO.

The amazing features of the X are amazing. Chauffeur front doors and falcons namely. However, they aren't enough for me to switch from the S.

After driving the X, I feel that TM has built an amazing car, but it fills a role that is separate from the S for me.

My S has enough range, enough seats (2 jump seats), enough cargo space and enough power. Also, the quality of my early VIN is still top notch. Folks who ride in it think it is brand new after 3 years and 50K miles.

The role that the X is filing is primarily a show piece of automotive tech. The falcon's personify this but it is also with bioweapon. While I applaud TM for this and think it will bring even more EV buyers than the X have drawn, it is just not for me at this point in my life.

I'm still going to reserve a Model 3 however as I think it will fulfill my self-driving needs ;)

I went to Seattle today to test drive an X and I have to say the car is great, but, and that's why I'm writing this, the 2nd and 3rd row seats just feel lacking (as compared to the S) IMHO.

The amazing features of the X are amazing. Chauffeur front doors and falcons namely. However, they aren't enough for me to switch from the S.

After driving the X, I feel that TM has built an amazing car, but it fills a role that is separate from the S for me.

My S has enough range, enough seats (2 jump seats), enough cargo space and enough power. Also, the quality of my early VIN is still top notch. Folks who ride in it think it is brand new after 3 years and 50K miles.

The role that the X is filing is primarily a show piece of automotive tech. The falcon's personify this but it is also with bioweapon. While I applaud TM for this and think it will bring even more EV buyers than the X have drawn, it is just not for me at this point in my life.

I'm still going to reserve a Model 3 however as I think it will fulfill my self-driving needs ;)
Great feedback, I hope Tesla is listening. I so wanted to own one too.

I was invited and configured my Signature X on 9/29. Since then I was told that signature cars are targeted to be delivered by year end 2015. Then it became 2015 end or early 2016. Then Late Jan and Feb. It is now late beyond my latest expectations. And there is nothing I can do except wait for them with no estimates of delivery.

Some of the enthusiasm for the car has certainly died for me. Unexplained delays have caused us frustration and we are not able to plan events. Not to mention friends and family reacting in ridicule or surprise.. when I say that I do not know when the car will be delivered. Reserved in 2013.

What can Tesla do? Is the car lesser in value and they should compensate in $$s or coupons? Maybe make promise of future upgrades (not software) for Signature holders free or deeply discounted?

What do other Signature holders that have not received their car would want (other than the car itself)?

Last edited:
What can Tesla do?

I don't have a good solution to deal with the unfairness dealt out to MX signatures. However, I do believe this should be the last time Tesla offers a Signature line on a vehicle. Elon already said it won't be offered with Model 3, but even the new Roadster shouldn't have Signature as an offering, in my opinion. Too much Sig pain in the past, and now that Tesla is public and well capitalized, I feel the upside to them is limited.

What can Tesla do? Is the car lesser in value and they should compensate in $$s or coupons? Maybe make promise of future upgrades (not software) for Signature holders free or deeply discounted?

What do other Signature holders that have not received their car would want (other than the car itself)?

I'm not a SIG but the way those of you still waiting on a car are being treated is outrageous. Collectively SIG's put up almost $48 million in deposits and some have even fully paid for cars not received. Frankly I think the patience showed by some is counterproductive because I've yet to hear any real urgency from EM. Listen to the last two earnings calls, EM is so casual and offhand about delays you would think delays were only caused by minor "chrome bits" and "seals". NO ONE should have gotten a perfect X before all of you Sigs. Frankly if this is how you people with the most skin in the game are treated I'm getting very concerned about how we non-P production folks will be dealt with. Particularly if focus shifts to the M3 this year. Will we be orphaned?

Last edited:

Good write up and sharing of your views about what fits your needs at this point. I am in the same boat. I will be driving the X in about 10 days and I believe that I will be following your lead about whether to configure/confirm our reserved PX or just wait and enjoy our Ss. Perhaps our next TM will be a s 2.0 or a model3.

Decisions/decisions....... I admit it is a first world problem.

I think you echo the feelings of many MS owners. Our cars appeal to a huge segment of the population. Very few people are turned off by the MS, as it can appeal to the "high style" side all the way to the "only practicality" side. MX doesn't have that range.

There was a period of adjustment for us, and in the end we compromised on some things. If you're not a falcon-wing door and fancy features kind of person (as I'm not), you can still take joy from the drivetrain, cabin volume, which I think is valuable for road trip airiness feel, and the ability to seat more adults. An officially supported towing package is a plus as well. My wife will very much enjoy the higher seating position. I'm going to accept the MX for what it is, and try not to saddle myself with previous aspirations for what it was going to be. However, I will always have a very clear understanding for those of you who changed their minds on the product.

It also makes no sense to reward a company for terrible communication, clearly unattainable timeframes, and outright misrepresentations. Buying a competitor's more luxurious full-sized SUV with all conceivable amenities included for 50-60% of the price of a CUV masquerading as a SUV without folding 2nd row seats, a head-up display, and around-view parking cameras would definitely be a worthwhile purchase, since all you'd be missing is electric drive and gimmicky 2nd row doors. Some people coming off as extremely rude and out-of-touch fanboys, I won't name names. These same people act as if Tesla can do no wrong and hasn't made a lot of mistakes with the Model X. Get a clue.

What is your point exactly?