Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any risks ordering inventory cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ordered a inventory M3 RWD with 15 miles on it, still says NEW. price tag $37,1xx
Is it normal for new cars to have 15miles?
Yes, and your Bill of Sale will probably have 50 or 60 miles listed on it, but that's just something that they do.

One year I was landing at the Boston airport for a few months and got a new rental car each time. They were new Volvos and they ranged from about 4 miles to 20 miles, although none had really been driven before.

For inventory cars, just check for demo vs new. Both are fine, but just make sure you're getting what you want at the price you feel is warranted.

I'm not sure how much it matters, but it turns out my inventory car was almost 6 months old. It was produced in Fremont in Jan and I bought it at the end of June. I guess if an inventory car was 1+ year old, a bigger discount might be warranted.

My new inventory car had 3 miles on the odometer. Probably just driving related to loading, unloading, and within Tesla parking lots.

For inventory cars, just check for demo vs new. Both are fine, but just make sure you're getting what you want at the price you feel is warranted.

I'm not sure how much it matters, but it turns out my inventory car was almost 6 months old. It was produced in Fremont in Jan and I bought it at the end of June. I guess if an inventory car was 1+ year old, a bigger discount might be warranted.

My new inventory car had 3 miles on the odometer. Probably just driving related to loading, unloading, and within Tesla parking lots.
Did your 6 month old car have low miles on it as well? and do I find the production date on the door jam?

Did your 6 month old car have low miles on it as well? and do I find the production date on the door jam?
Yeah, it only had 3 miles on the odometer, so I guess it had just been sitting in the parking lot all that time.

Can't remember how I figured out the production date. It might show in Tesla's ordering system. If it doesn't, you can always do a VIN lookup. It's one of the numbers in the VIN, so just by deciphering the VIN, you can figure out the production date.

Reactions: king.cong.1119
Manufactured date is on the door. Don't expect that it is close to delivery date, as Tesla waits for a bunch of cars that are assigned to a specific delivery location to be accumulated before shipment. They don't roll out the door and onto the transport. My has like a 2 month gap.

Yeah, it only had 3 miles on the odometer, so I guess it had just been sitting in the parking lot all that time.

Can't remember how I figured out the production date. It might show in Tesla's ordering system. If it doesn't, you can always do a VIN lookup. It's one of the numbers in the VIN, so just by deciphering the VIN, you can figure out the production date.
mine only says 2023 which could be a whole year till now haha

mine only says 2023 which could be a whole year till now haha

You're right. The decoder I just checked only had the year.

Well, Tesla must have told me, because I definitely didn't know the production date is in the door haha
I don’t have a pic of the one from my ‘23 and it’s currently at the body shop, but there should be a label in the door jam, frunk, or truck that has the month/year. This is from my ‘20.

IMG_6279.jpeg

2024 models start hitting dealerships in October. They have clear inventory (like all dealers) regardless if the US get the updated 2024. Mine had no issues but I did get a wheel scratch after the alignment was done after 25 miles.

IMG_2449.jpeg

Here it is. Everything is good during the delivery inspection, only concern was the driver side body panel gaps are visibly larger than passenger side.
IMG_2484.jpeg
IMG_2485.jpeg

Made note of them and the sales told me that I need to request a service on the app after delivery. So I completed the delivery process. But when making service request, it told me the estimate for the mobile service is $84. Is that something normal? Cuz it’s definitely not going to be under me for these repairs. Also why is it a mobile service? Thought it’s going to need to be in shop?

Reactions: dakhlkt22
View attachment 973078

Here it is. Everything is good during the delivery inspection, only concern was the driver side body panel gaps are visibly larger than passenger side. View attachment 973079View attachment 973080

Made note of them and the sales told me that I need to request a service on the app after delivery. So I completed the delivery process. But when making service request, it told me the estimate for the mobile service is $84. Is that something normal? Cuz it’s definitely not going to be under me for these repairs. Also why is it a mobile service? Thought it’s going to need to be in shop?
I’d bet they review the service request after you submit and switch it to a service center appointment.

I’d also bet there’s a good chance they tell you all of that is “in spec” and don’t do a thing. ;)

View attachment 973078

Here it is. Everything is good during the delivery inspection, only concern was the driver side body panel gaps are visibly larger than passenger side. View attachment 973079View attachment 973080

Unless the gaps are causing a rubbing issue, IMO, let it go. They may make the issue worse.

Not from a panel gap, but an adjustment was needed on the driver’s side window. Ended up adjusting it myself.

Here it is. Everything is good during the delivery inspection, only concern was the driver side body panel gaps are visibly larger than passenger side.

It's normal for warranty work. It will generally get adjusted to $0.

That would be a charge of the mobile visit ends up not being warranty related
It’s like when the doctor asked for our CC even though they don’t change us

I would get and email with the centers manager making sure the inspection will be no charge before booking

Reactions: king.cong.1119
I hesitated on an inventory M3P for a week that was at about 47.9. Went to pull the trigger the next morning and it was 50.8 😢. Now there’s none within my 200 miles. Is it still feasible to have a SA look for one elsewhere? The customer service people claimed the only cars available to me would be on the inventory page regardless of who I reach out to.

I hesitated on an inventory M3P for a week that was at about 47.9. Went to pull the trigger the next morning and it was 50.8 😢. Now there’s none within my 200 miles. Is it still feasible to have a SA look for one elsewhere? The customer service people claimed the only cars available to me would be on the inventory page regardless of who I reach out to.
not the end of world, I'd wait more, since I have found that there is always a deal coming in a week or two. Not an expert of M3P but my M3 RWD, i have found the lowest ever is about 36.2k and that will always be a grey color (no additional charge). best of luck!