Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose: M3P inventory vs. Highland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SR - fun
LR - stupid fun
LR boost - grin every drive
P - laughing perma smile

Handing on the outgoing is also reportedly way more sure footed than the highland. Especially on highway.

Suspension comfort, again you can go with MPP or as mentioned change up tires/psi.
I’d actually get the P hands down and reduce tires to 19” sport with 38 psi. Done.

Noise wise the P has dual pane up front anyway Vs 4 windows. Quieter at the back moreso.

Stalkless also doesn’t agree with everyone. Personal preference.

For 38k for a brand new P and it’s insane fun factor? It’s a steal.

I like just about everything on the Highland better than the outgoing model - including losing the stalks - but $38k for a 2023 P?

What a dilemma to find yourself in!

I had a similar opportunity for a P (though a couple grand more) and it really was a tough choice. I decided I'll chance it and wait for the 24 M3P. If I don't like what I see when it is finally released, I'll go with the LR.

Honestly tho - you can't lose either way. :)

Yeah! did you pull the trigger? If not, here is my 2-cents:

I would go with the Highland, for a couple reasons:
#1 Battery pack. The new battery lasts longer and you can charge to 100% daily without causing damage. You actually SHOULD charge it to 100% at least once a week. That is a huge draw. You have 100% range every day, rather than having to play with the numbers on a traditional pack>

#2 What everyone else has said. The interior is nicer, the ride is comparable to my MSP in comfort mode, and it is much quieter than pre-Highland M3.

#3 Stalks... Sorry, stalks are so 1999 man... I never liked them. The buttons are intuitive. It is just like riding a motor cycle, same layout. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that prefers the yoke all day to a round. All the arguments against the buttons are trivial at best, it all comes down to preference and adaptability.

Why the M3P is not a bad option:
#1 that price man... wow. one hell of a car for under $50k

#2 a more traditional feel. If that is your jam man, go for it. Whatever turns your crank. It all comes down to preference and what you are comfortable with. You like stalks? go for it, nothing wrong with that at all.

#3 For now, this is the last Performance. Maybe the Highland will get a Performance version... but if you want that sick speed, you gota go Tesla old-school.

So what did you go with! don't leave us hanging...

Reactions: Tezla1
Yeah! did you pull the trigger? If not, here is my 2-cents:

I would go with the Highland, for a couple reasons:
#1 Battery pack. The new battery lasts longer and you can charge to 100% daily without causing damage. You actually SHOULD charge it to 100% at least once a week. That is a huge draw. You have 100% range every day, rather than having to play with the numbers on a traditional pack>

#2 What everyone else has said. The interior is nicer, the ride is comparable to my MSP in comfort mode, and it is much quieter than pre-Highland M3.

#3 Stalks... Sorry, stalks are so 1999 man... I never liked them. The buttons are intuitive. It is just like riding a motor cycle, same layout. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that prefers the yoke all day to a round. All the arguments against the buttons are trivial at best, it all comes down to preference and adaptability.

Why the M3P is not a bad option:
#1 that price man... wow. one hell of a car for under $50k

#2 a more traditional feel. If that is your jam man, go for it. Whatever turns your crank. It all comes down to preference and what you are comfortable with. You like stalks? go for it, nothing wrong with that at all.

#3 For now, this is the last Performance. Maybe the Highland will get a Performance version... but if you want that sick speed, you gota go Tesla old-school.

So what did you go with! don't leave us hanging...

I decided to go with the Highland.

1. I don't "need" Performance speed, my current RWD 21 M3 is totally fine in terms of acceleration and being able to over-take most any other car on highway.

2. The comfort of the suspension is a huge thing for me (family is in car often with me), plus I drive in SoCal where roads are absolute trash.

3. The better quality interior and sound isolation is a huge plus as I often take my family on drives

The 2023 M3P is solid bargain for anyone who does not really care about above 3 points.

I decided to go with the Highland.

1. I don't "need" Performance speed, my current RWD 21 M3 is totally fine in terms of acceleration and being able to over-take most any other car on highway.

2. The comfort of the suspension is a huge thing for me (family is in car often with me), plus I drive in SoCal where roads are absolute trash.

3. The better quality interior and sound isolation is a huge plus as I often take my family on drives

The 2023 M3P is solid bargain for anyone who does not really care about above 3 points.
Epic! congrats, I am in a similar boat, my wife just ordered up her M3 Highland yesterday. GL with your delivery! May the "within-spec" luck be ever in your favor ;)

As the owner of a M3P I can attest to the joy of driving it but I drive in Chill mode most of the time. When you put it in sport though the power is intoxicating.
The sound system in adequate compared to the RWD M3 which is best described as anemic. Living on the east coast of Florida where we have excellent roads, the ride is more than good enough for me. The handling compares well with most of the BMWs I have owned. I would have gone for the M3 especially at that price but the Highland is clearly the right choice for you given the reasons you stated.
Good luck with it.

I was inclined to go buy the M3P from inventory for what would be less than $44,000 and sell mine with less than 4k miles on it but no matter what region I searched, there are no new M3P models available.
The used models approach $32000 for 2020 & 2021 cars with between 25 & 45k miles.

Where were you seeing this? Maybe it was a one off and it’s gone.

Happy to sell you my gently used 2020 M3P with relatively low miles. :)

When I looked around to sell it recently, I was surprised how little consideration is given to the FSD option given that it's now $12k just for that option alone.

Personally, I'm planning to sell older gen M3P now and then just drive something else for a little while until the Highland performance variant becomes available. I like the quieter cabin and the suspension improvements. Ambivalent about the fancy lighting and updates to the interior.

Best,

Happy to sell you my gently used 2020 M3P with relatively low miles. :)

When I looked around to sell it recently, I was surprised how little consideration is given to the FSD option given that it's now $12k just for that option alone.

Personally, I'm planning to sell older gen M3P now and then just drive something else for a little while until the Highland performance variant becomes available. I like the quieter cabin and the suspension improvements. Ambivalent about the fancy lighting and updates to the interior.

Best,
FSD has the worst ROI of any option when it comes to resale. Carvana offered me an additional $200 for a vehicle with FSD over the same vehicle without it. Even on private sale you would be lucky to get an extra $2K for it.

Highland + :
Smooth and silent ride
Slightly modernized nose/tail
Colorized lighting
Vented seats
Highland - :
No turn signal stalk
Less direct road feel (even compared to non-Performance previous gen M3)
M3P + :
Power
Direct handling
Range
M3P - :
Rough ride

Not sure if the in-stock M3P has ultrasonic sensors or not as those went away early last year on most models so likely missing those would be the same negative on both vehicles.

I have 2023 Model S Plaid without ultrasonic sensors. At least I got a round steering wheel, but turn signals, while fine for completely simple stuff, are horrible if you do any multiple lane change, roundabout, etc driving at all, and AI Vision park assist is so broken I almost always get someone else to watch my nose or get out when the car tells me to stop only to see 30+ inches of space there (though backup parking is fine just with my eyeballs and the camera). Might be better on shorter/lower nose 3, and I believe they are finally acknowledging need for an additional bumper camera on S/X and maybe Highland? I use a pool noodle in my garage to park my silly Tesla. I thought I'd hate the PRNDL screen swipe but in practice that doesn't really bother me except on rare occasion. Tesla builds amazing cars, but worst in world (by a country mile) park assist, rain sensing wipers, and turn signals hurt the experience.

Highland + :
Smooth and silent ride
Colorized lighting
Vented seats
Highland - :
No turn signal stalk
M3P + :
Power
Direct handling
Range
M3P - :
Rough ride

Not sure if the in-stock M3P has ultrasonic sensors or not as those went away early last year on most models so likely missing those would be the same negative on both vehicles.

I have 2023 Model S Plaid without ultrasonic sensors. At least I got a round steering wheel, but turn signals, while fine for completely simple stuff, are horrible if you do any multiple lane change, roundabout, etc driving at all, and AI Vision park assist is so broken I almost always get someone else to watch my nose or get out when the car tells me to stop only to see 30+ inches of space there (though backup parking is fine just with my eyeballs and the camera). Might be better on shorter/lower nose 3, and I believe they are finally acknowledging need for an additional bumper camera on S/X and maybe Highland? I use a pool noodle in my garage to park my silly Tesla. I thought I'd hate the PRNDL screen swipe but in practice that doesn't really bother me except on rare occasion. Tesla builds amazing cars, but worst in world (by a country mile) park assist, rain sensing wipers, and turn signals hurt the experience.
Yeah it's all a function of too much potentiation of 'futurism' memes. If that's where things are going in the future, we have to get there sooner. Of course whether or not the technology is really ready or not is a secondary concern. I'm worried that the application of this kind of thinking to the colonization of Mars will result in a whole lot worse problems than simply poor parking proximity sensing. If you get my drift.

Reactions: Ti317
Highland + :
Smooth and silent ride
Colorized lighting
Vented seats
Highland - :
No turn signal stalk
M3P + :
Power
Direct handling
Range
M3P - :
Rough ride
If you soften up the ride you lose road feel. I just test drove a ModelS and found it too cushy of a ride. The “Rough ride” of the M3P is what I call sporty.
Then again I live in Florida and we have great roads.
You can get incredible handling or a smooth ride you don’t get both. What you get is a compromise between the two. It’s your choice where that compromise ends up.

If you soften up the ride you lose road feel. I just test drove a ModelS and found it too cushy of a ride. The “Rough ride” of the M3P is what I call sporty.
Then again I live in Florida and we have great roads.
You can get incredible handling or a smooth ride you don’t get both. What you get is a compromise between the two. It’s your choice where that compromise ends up.
Although there are some exceptions like the Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Adjustable coilover kit which actually improves both ride and handling. Depending on where you set it you can get significantly better ride and better handling or way better handling and a very firm ride. I have my wife's car set pretty Softly on this kit and my car has the sport kit set at 10/8. Too firm for her but the handling is crazy good.

Although there are some exceptions like the Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Adjustable coilover kit which actually improves both ride and handling. Depending on where you set it you can get significantly better ride and better handling or way better handling and a very firm ride. I have my wife's car set pretty Softly on this kit and my car has the sport kit set at 10/8. Too firm for her but the handling is crazy good.
Ride quality is extremely subjective but handling can actually be measured to some extent. The Gs a car can maintain in a turn and by the average lap time difference from one setup to the other, for example.
There is still the compromise between ride and handling in play with your cars, you just may have found a better balance than most of us.
What models do you and your wife each have?