Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any More Test Drive Reports From The Tour?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For kicks, I am going to call tomorrow to check the possibility of changing one of our configs to 6-seater, but since we confirmed 1/04 I'm guessing we would have to cancel & forfeit our $5k. I'm guessing if it really bothers me I could spend less than $5k and find a shop that can remove the middle seat later. Maybe it would make a good Forza racing seat :)
To change from 7 seats to 6 seats is only $500. At least one person who has a 90D order was able to change to 6 seats from 7 with no charge. If you explain why you need to change (ie after seeing the car the 7 seat did not meet your needs) I would think you have a great chance of them changing it for no cost, unless your car is already being made.

My wife and I attended the Meet model X event in Scottsdale this afternoon. We did not do a test drive and only had a glimpse at the interior so hope it's OK to share my impressions of what I saw. First is that the vehicle is "huge". It's much taller than the "S" and definitely looks much larger. As others have mentioned the vehicle looks so much better in person than what the photos show. The nose especially is quite different than the photos show. I think this is because the shadows make the area below the "T" symbol make it look quite deeply recessed giving it a "lips" look as some have suggested. It is not. It is recessed only about an inch or so and the nose really is a thing of beauty. To carry it further, the model X is a thing of beauty. We were lucky enough to see one of the test drive vehicles in our favorite color, titanium, which looks awesome. The falcon wing doors were a sight to behold and they are really wide. When they are fully extended they are quite high up, higher than the delivery photos the I've seen which shows them basically horizontal. It does look like the car is ready to take flight. My wife was quite surprised how large a diameter the pillars are on the second row seats. Like many, I am disappointed that the second row does not fold flat. That said, there is a lot of room for cargo, as much a we will probably ever need. From what we can tell the 6 seat configuration looks more practical than the 7 seater. I was told by a Tesla employee that all the test drive vehicles are of the ludicrous persuasion. He also mentioned that the "meet model X" has been very successful in getting reservation holders to configure.

Did a test drive today at a "Meet the X" event. (We did drives of both the X and S, though we're only interested in the X. Time was limited in the X, so we used time in the S to check out the overlapping capabilities.

Overall, I'd say my experience was similar to the others in the thread above, so I can't think of much unique to say. That said, if people have questions I'm happy to pop back to the thread and try to answer them.

@mikevbf: As of 2/28, it looks like Boston is still visible. Here is the Meet Model X Tour Dates link:

Meet Model X | Tesla Motors

Click the RSVP link to see the details. While Tesla mentions "only...reservation holders" for a test drive, if the event is nearby, why not stop by and check out the vehicles on display.

Thanks Mark for giving me the courage to crash the event. It turned out to be worth the 4 1/2 hr round trip of driving from VT to see the Model X. Despite not having a reservation, a super nice salesman named Kyle spent over an hour with us answering all our questions and making sure we got a chance to look at a 6 seat MX some press people were finishing up with. A big thanks to Kyle.

My observations were pretty similar to Middkid's great report on page 2
1) I was also in the 7 seat camp because we use all 7 seats probably once every couple of weeks for carpooling. Unlike Middkid, I did not "hate" the 3rd row in the 7 seat version so much as I really liked the feel of the MX with 6 seats. One of my questions was which seat would I prefer to be in on trip over 20 minutes: the middle seat of the 2nd row with someone on either side or the backseat in a 6 seat configuration. At 6 feet, I much preferred the back seat in a 6 seat MX because its much nicer to have some space to the sides and stretch my feet down the center. If someone were sitting next to me in the 3rd row, I might prefer the center seat in the 2nd row, but it is a close call. For 5 people, the 6 seat version is a much more comfortable car. It is probably more comfortable for 6 people as well, but again that is a closer call. For 4 people one advantage the 7 seat version has is the ability of the 2nd row passengers to stabilize themselves on the center seats on curvy roads. i really do wish they had arm rests in the middle row with the 6 seat version. But there is something luxuries feeling about all the space for 2nd row passengers without the middle center seat. Where the 6 seat version wins head and shoulders with 4 passengers over the 7 seat version is when you add a dog because now you can put the dog between the two middle seats opening up the trunk area with the 3rd row folded down for luggage which is a big deal on car you do not want to put a luggage box on. Between just liking it better and the dog thing for trips, we will change our order to the 6 seat version.
2) The second most important take away is the 2nd row seats just did not seems completely ready for prime time. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they did not. I was not able to get the middle 2nd row seat all the way forward and tilted, for example. I hope a future software/hardware update will make this easy for the 7 seat MX. Because it takes me over 2 hrs to get to the service center, I will try and delay my delivery until this is sorted out.
3) There was some wind noise, but I found it completely acceptable.
4) I am not an audiophile, but to my ear the sound system was only ok. However, this is based on listening to the radio not high quality uncompressed audio files which is where a good audio system can really shine.

I am really glad I was able to check the MX out in person and hope this was helpful for people who had not yet had a chance. Thanks again to our super nice and patient sales person Kyle for making it possible.

Last edited:
We hit the PDX tour last week. Background: Have one of the first Model S P85 and have loved it through all of the early car issues. We also have 3 kids, who have done well in the jump seats occasionally. So we figured we would want the X as they are just about to outgrow the jump seats.

But a few things:
1. Our oldest will have his learners and then be driving within a few years. Our younger two are close to both being able to stay home when mom needs to take a kid somewhere. Our friends carpool a lot more now to practices etc. because we are all busy but almost never more than 1-2 other kids. Talking to those with kids older than 9-10, it's not clear that the 7 seat Monday-Thursday needs are that great as kids age.

2. The Model X disappointed on a few things. First, the 6 vs 7 seat decision as noted here is tough. This is not like our old LR3, where even Grandparents could ride in the 3rd row reasonably comfortably up to a ski resort 2 hours away. The rear seat is only good for a short trip in town with adults in it UNLESS you do the 6 seater which allows for more room back there. But then, you are always using the 3rd row if you have a family of 5. That limits the cargo capacity all the time therefore. More, the middle row/middle seat really barely moves forward. Add to this the fact that on my ride in the red/tan the passenger middle seat of the 6 config was very sqeaky and moved side to side, it sits on a single central seatpost. It also did not work to go forward or back with the button. I think the X was over thought and over engineered, and a risk mechanically I don't have to take with the S. The falcon doors make sense but are not that much better for egress/ingress. Tesla should have saved weight, time and cost for traditional doors and independently fold flat seats like the LR3/4 if there was little to be gained by actuated sliding seats x2 other than a few inches for a cramped 3rd row.

3. A nice Model S 70D can be had for about 30k less with nearly the same range as an X 90D. It can have a great pano roof, and can have roof rails...unlike the X. The Model S rear with middle seats down is arguably a more usable cargo space though not as tall. The ground clearance with air-suspension is fine for the snow with the Model S. And if you wanted for 10k more you can get 288 mile range. Or use the 30k and get a Model 3 too.

4. At the end of the day, we got our Model S for Mom who drives the most (by far). Dad drives a Mercedes Sprinter with 8 seats because the MPG is better or the same than any other large 7 seater, yet has way more room for skis, paddle boards, kayaks, camping gear, bikes, plus a bed, solar panel, ceiling fans...It's my opinion the perfect family combo is a Sprinter for Dad and weekends and the Model S for Mom and weekdays. We can always swap. I just can't find a good reason to get the X over the S with this combo. The X cannot replace vehicles with frequent 6 or 7 passenger needs I think. It's only advantage is one more adult capable seat.

Last edited:

4. At the end of the day, we got our Model S for Mom who drives the most (by far). Dad drives a Mercedes Sprinter with 8 seats because the MPG is better or the same than any other large 7 seater, yet has way more room for skis, paddle boards, kayaks, camping gear, bikes, plus a bed, solar panel, ceiling fans...It's my opinion the perfect family combo is a Sprinter for Dad and weekends and the Model S for Mom and weekdays. We can always swap. I just can't find a good reason to get the X over the S with this combo. The X cannot replace vehicles with frequent 6 or 7 passenger needs I think. It's only advantage is one more adult capable seat.

So to sum it up would you go with the Model X if they did not have the FWD and had folding, bench style 2nd row like the S, or would the Sprinter still be your choice?

The X simply should have been the same/taller cargo space as S but with adult size 3rd row.

I'd take the X over the S regardless of my second car if they made it exactly the same as an S but with a 3rd row forward facing adult size. Instead they made it smaller in cargo by a foot and it isn't even all flat. Without Falcon, could also have had a pano roof/roof rails too. Hence, I think they over thought how access to rear with a car seat installed matters to people. You just put 2 car seats in a side and middle, use the empty seat for access to rear.

LR3. Best out there for flexibility of the rear 5 seats I think. All LATCH too.
http://image.trucktrend.com/f/8268068/163_0412_05z%2B2005_Land_Rover_LR3%2BInterior_View_Rear_Cabin_Seats_Down.jpg

Last edited:
Good summary. What do you think it would take to make the Model X a Sequoia killer (except realistic towing ability)?

Is it the second row of seats that is giving you a headache? I am in the folding seat camp but I also suspect the headrests being so tall (yes they are probably safer) it makes the car claustrophobic.

How did you find the legroom for each row compare to the Sequoia? In my Acura MDX the third row is for tiny people only so about the same as the Model X. Mid seat is more flexible and comfortable on the X but not being able to fold it or have someone really sit in the center of the second row is an issue.

Yes

The Toyota Sequoia is a small bus. Realistically, before Tesla can compete in such a market, they will need to come up with a bigger platform. Tesla is trying to pack a lot into a large sedan platform, and there's just not enough room to compete with the large SUV monstrosities that exist today. Perhaps after the Model 3, they will come up with a large SUV and maybe even a truck as well. Improving battery density and cost will help on that front, as they will need more stored energy.