Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 16V compatible portable power stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to do a 4,000 mile / two week cross country tour. Will be packing my laptop, insulated hotplate for heating up food, and a 30qt portable fridge/refrigerator (IceCo, BougeEV, etc). I also have a BESTEK 150 power inverter. BESTEK informed me that my inverter is not compatible with Tesla's 16V outlet. I figured I would just pickup a Jackery, EcoFlow, etc. power station for both battery backup when my MY is off and to ensure 100% compatibility. Jackery wrote back to me to say their products aren't 16V compatible. I'm fearing I will be hearing the same from EcoFlow. Granted I can just recharge the power stations during my overnight stops but sure would be nice to keep the battery charged up while on the road.

Hoping to hear back on suggestions on some real world instances of where your setups would help address my power requirements and constraints.

Thanks in advance.

i have charged my jackery with my tesla no issues, the tesla adjusts the voltage to match what the plug is asking
The Tesla supplies 15-16V - there is no handshake or "ask" from the device that is plugged in. Because your devices work just means that they are tolerant enough to work on 16V - not that the Tesla changes what it outputs.

Upvote 0
i have charged my jackery with my tesla no issues, the tesla adjusts the voltage to match what the plug is asking same with my Iceco cooler no issues at all, the jackery will charger perfect off the 12v in the trunk and then you can use the jackery to power everything else as well. i use a 1500 jackery for the last year without issue
Thank you. Another question, are you able to charge your Jackery via the 16V outlet while running devices (ICECO) off of it?

Upvote 0
The Tesla supplies 15-16V - there is no handshake or "ask" from the device that is plugged in. Because your devices work just means that they are tolerant enough to work on 16V - not that the Tesla changes what it outputs.
the device is doing the adjusting just like when you plug a tesla in to charge, the car tells the charger what it wants not the otherway around, same thing with the 12v, the jackery tells the car what it wants same thing with all the coolers out there that so many tesla owners are using with no issues

Upvote 0
I have a Jackery 2000 pro. That being said this is a rather large power bank. 12vdc charging is painfully slow due to the limitation of a 12v outlet. In my case it takes 24hrs to charge via 12v. The fastest way is 120vac where it charges in 1 hour and 45minutes. Wicked fast in comparison. Ran my fridge 3 1/2 days before needing a recharge.

Reactions: jacqueusi
Upvote 0
I have a Jackery 2000 pro. That being said this is a rather large power bank. 12vdc charging is painfully slow due to the limitation of a 12v outlet. In my case it takes 24hrs to charge via 12v. The fastest way is 120vac where it charges in 1 hour and 45minutes. Wicked fast in comparison. Ran my fridge 3 1/2 days before needing a recharge.
yeah sound about right mine from dead to 100 is about 13 hours via the 12v in the car

Reactions: jacqueusi
Upvote 0
the device is doing the adjusting just like when you plug a tesla in to charge, the car tells the charger what it wants not the otherway around, same thing with the 12v, the jackery tells the car what it wants same thing with all the coolers out there that so many tesla owners are using with no issues
Again, this is incorrect. When you plug a Tesla in to charge, it actually communicates with the charger. Cigarette lighter devices do not do this, nor does a 12-16V bus have any "smarts" for detecting "desired" voltages or anything like that.

The Jackery works because it can work with 16V, plain and simple. Plenty of things have acceptable voltage ranges they can work within, it doesn't always have to be fixed at 12V.

Upvote 0
Again, this is incorrect. When you plug a Tesla in to charge, it actually communicates with the charger. Cigarette lighter devices do not do this, nor does a 12-16V bus have any "smarts" for detecting "desired" voltages or anything like that.

The Jackery works because it can work with 16V, plain and simple. Plenty of things have acceptable voltage ranges they can work within, it doesn't always have to be fixed at 12V.
Incorrect. It communicates with the charger but the vehicle tells the charger what amps and volts it can take in. The charger is just supplying power. Just like the 12v is supplying power. Just like how the Tesla mobile charger just supplies power and the onboard charger does all the work. The devices that work with teslas 16v are because the devices themselves are using microchips that allow different voltages to still pass its tests and charge from. The vehicle is just the dummy saying hey I’m hear I can offer 16v let me know what you want.

Upvote 0
Check the DC input specs. If the car charger uses the same DC input as solar panels, it'll be fine. My older Ecoflow River Max accepts 10V-25V DC input. And then the 12V output is regulated to 12V, regardless of DC input voltage, if you're doing pass-through.

Side note - During power outages I run my garage refrigerator (full height top/bottom unit) off my Ecoflow, with the Ecoflow charging off my Model 3's 12V output. That's my solution for not having a real AC inverter onboard the car.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
Incorrect. It communicates with the charger but the vehicle tells the charger what amps and volts it can take in. The charger is just supplying power. Just like the 12v is supplying power. Just like how the Tesla mobile charger just supplies power and the onboard charger does all the work. The devices that work with teslas 16v are because the devices themselves are using microchips that allow different voltages to still pass its tests and charge from. The vehicle is just the dummy saying hey I’m hear I can offer 16v let me know what you want.
1690308653923.png

Upvote 0
The devices that work with teslas 16v are because the devices themselves are using microchips that allow different voltages to still pass its tests and charge from. The vehicle is just the dummy saying hey I’m hear I can offer 16v let me know what you want.
First sentence - I can't disagree.

Second sentence - the vehicle never uses logic to offer, request, or accept any sort of voltage data from the device that is plugged in. The car will always output the same voltage, no matter what.

Upvote 0
First sentence - I can't disagree.

Second sentence - the vehicle never uses logic to offer, request, or accept any sort of voltage data from the device that is plugged in. The car will always output the same voltage, no matter what.
Are you reading what I type lol. The cars 16v puts out that. The device requesting the power does the managing in this case the fridge. I am fully correct in what I explained. You read it wrong. The device requesting the power always does the power management. Just like a Tesla requesting super charger power. Or a jackery requesting the 16v power.

Upvote 0
Are you reading what I type lol. The cars 16v puts out that. The device requesting the power does the managing in this case the fridge. I am fully correct in what I explained. You read it wrong. The device requesting the power always does the power management. Just like a Tesla requesting super charger power. Or a jackery requesting the 16v power.
There is no communication between devices plugged into the 16V outlet - it’s just 16V; the device must accept 16V to work properly.

Upvote 0
There is no communication between devices plugged into the 16V outlet - it’s just 16V; the device must accept 16V to work properly.
Once again not reading it properly. The device receiving the power does the adjust. The power delivery does not in this case with the 16V. Been using my Iceco fridge for this week on a trip. I can see in my app it only drawing 12v from the 16v to use only what needs to operate. Proper well made devices with proper microchips do this. You truly do not understand how devices in General get power. Even every day appliances. The computer chips on board tell it what a mount of power it needs. Just like a fridge. Uses and draws more power when the compressor is in vs when it’s just sitting there. Yes the feed is 16v constant but that doesn’t mean the device has to operate at 16v

• Disagree
Upvote 0
Once again not reading it properly. The device receiving the power does the adjust. The power delivery does not in this case with the 16V. Been using my Iceco fridge for this week on a trip. I can see in my app it only drawing 12v from the 16v to use only what needs to operate. Proper well made devices with proper microchips do this. You truly do not understand how devices in General get power. Even every day appliances. The computer chips on board tell it what a mount of power it needs. Just like a fridge. Uses and draws more power when the compressor is in vs when it’s just sitting there. Yes the feed is 16v constant but that doesn’t mean the device has to operate at 16v
I do understand how devices get power - in the case of the 16V outlet, the device needs to be designed to accept (or at least tolerate) 16V or it won't work; the device probably has something that converts the input voltage to voltages needed for internal components, but that circuit MUST tolerate 16V or it won't work. So yes, there are many devices designed for 12V that will work with 16V, but not all.

The comparison you offered with Superchargers is inaccurate, as there is communication between the car and the charger to agree on voltage, current, etc. That isn't the case here.

Upvote 0