Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anticipating Dual Charger with Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so the nameplate for the hpwc says which 100A or 50A or both? I'd get the hpwc just for the fact I'll have to upgrade utilities when I'm able too one day but as I said I was told it wouldn't pass inspection. So any suggestions on how to accomplish this is appreciated as well as my 2nd problem when I get the Model x of charging it since I'll only have one outlet because of my utilities issue.

The nameplate for the HPWC has 100A for 80A charging. However, the instruction manual for the HPWC lists the multiple breaker sizes (everything from 15A circuit to 100A). Most inspectors have been ok with using that information, but a few have not.

The nameplate for the HPWC has 100A for 80A charging. However, the instruction manual for the HPWC lists the multiple breaker sizes (everything from 15A circuit to 100A). Most inspectors have been ok with using that information, but a few have not.

Why not install a HPWC set to 50A breaker size using #3 copper wire. You're allowed to oversize the wire, and that way, it is a simple upgrade later to higher currents (for example, if you upgrade the house service, or decide that other loads won't be in use at the same time and you're willing to go over what the code says). You'll need to use a split-bolt splice inside the breaker panel, as #3 wire won't fit into a 50A breaker. You could do the same with a 14-50; heck, install #3 wire on a 30A breaker and put
in a NEMA 14-30 receptical (you'll need to splice the #3 wire down on both ends). When the inspector leaves, swap it for a 14-50 and 50A breaker.

Then be careful to manage the current drawn in the cars not to overload the main house breaker.

Ken

Why not install a HPWC set to 50A breaker size using #3 copper wire. You're allowed to oversize the wire, and that way, it is a simple upgrade later to higher currents (for example, if you upgrade the house service, or decide that other loads won't be in use at the same time and you're willing to go over what the code says). You'll need to use a split-bolt splice inside the breaker panel, as #3 wire won't fit into a 50A breaker. You could do the same with a 14-50; heck, install #3 wire on a 30A breaker and put
in a NEMA 14-30 receptical (you'll need to splice the #3 wire down on both ends). When the inspector leaves, swap it for a 14-50 and 50A breaker.

Then be careful to manage the current drawn in the cars not to overload the main house breaker.

The argument from some inspectors is that the nameplate requires a 100A circuit (including breaker) to be installed to the HPWC because that's what the nameplate says. I agree with you that future-proofing is a good thing to do if you can - but in some cases, inspectors are forcing a 100A addition to the load calcs.

Which I'm sure is my issue...

Show them the manual from the HPWC (it's online), where it says that multiple breaker ratings will work.

I've been talking with some folks in Tesla about being very specific about multiple current settings on the nameplate itself, like those hot tubs I mentioned earlier... e.g.,

Charging Current (continuous) / Minimum Circuit Ampacity / Maximum Overcurrent Setting
12A / 15A / 15A
16A / 20A / 20A
24A / 30A / 30A

That would be an official multi-current designation that would cure those inspectors of their concerns.

Show them the manual from the HPWC (it's online), where it says that multiple breaker ratings will work.

I've been talking with some folks in Tesla about being very specific about multiple current settings on the nameplate itself, like those hot tubs I mentioned earlier... e.g.,

Charging Current (continuous) / Minimum Circuit Ampacity / Maximum Overcurrent Setting
12A / 15A / 15A
16A / 20A / 20A
24A / 30A / 30A

That would be an official multi-current designation that would cure those inspectors of their concerns.
What's the url for the manual? Thanks

Found it online... I'll have to speak with electrician....
Speak with the Inspector him/herself instead of the electrician, would be my advice. Then you'll know if it will be approved as a 50A load. Theirs is the opinion that counts.

My HPWC is installed on a 70A circuit. Same reason as you would install yours on a 50A breaker. Have the #3 wire as well, may upgrade the house supply later.
(Mine is an "Old Style HPWC," they had a 70A configuration, which gives me 42 mph charging - Model S with dual chargers)

Last edited: