Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another rejected model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lot of fanbois in this thread. OP, that car looks like trash.

The windshield seal alone would be a dealbreaker for me. Good on you for rejecting that turd.

you should probably just buy a car that has been manufactured for 20 years with a few small tweaks.

instead of a car that has never been made before.

nobody is forcing you to be an early adopter.

you must be that kid whose parents got them a cake but you refused to eat it because somebody else took a bite first.

Lot of fanbois in this thread. OP, that car looks like trash.

The windshield seal alone would be a dealbreaker for me. Good on you for rejecting that turd.
you should probably just buy a car that has been manufactured for 20 years with a few small tweaks.

instead of a car that has never been made before.

nobody is forcing you to be an early adopter.

you must be that kid whose parents got them a cake but you refused to eat it because somebody else took a bite first.
It's just his usual knee-jerk response - get's to say "turd" and kick sand on some shoes, slinks away to his X-box....

I'm a bit surprised everyone is so accepting of the this level of build quality. Please don't tell me that this is what I should expect from Tesla or that this is the best they can do because clearly, they built my model 3 to a much higher standard than they did this car.
The last picture in the series of picture is the one I was most concerned about. You'll that there is a lighter shade of paint there which actually looks to be where they didn't equally apply the paint thus allowing you to see the e-coat. The fix on the would be a repaint of the panel and blending of the surrounding panels which is nearly a quarter of the car. So yeah, I'm not willing to accept this car when it has to be this extensively resprayed.
I agree 100% with you, I would of rejected this car myself, You’re paying good money so the build should be right on.

Fred

Arent all Model Y windshields like that?

Worry about leaking from windshield of model y
I think you're right, they all are. I had to go look at mine and it's the same way - would seem any leak would drain out under the car but not in the cabin as that's not where the windshield seals. Never noticed it or any issue on my M3 either which I believe was the same.

As for the paint issue it really wasn't clear what the OP pic was indicating, at least to me, as it's hard to tell from the lighting in that pic and there was no explanation. For sure if I wasn't happy with the paint job I'd reject but if it was just the minor alignment issues I'd address with the SC - again, just my opinion.

A lot of people posting "take it and have it fixed at the SC".... great idea in theory. But when every panel gap, mis-aligned tail light and crooked piece of glass is always "within spec" how do you get it fixed without getting in a major time wasting pissing contest with Tesla?

If you're not happy with it, point it out right there at the delivery location and get it in writing that they will fix it not give you the "within spec" BS that they're handing everyone. If they're unwilling or unable to promise a fix in writing.. take your hard earned $60K and walk.

Reactions: imola.zhp
First let me say that this forum has been invaluable in preparing for my delivery by arming me with a checklist to evaluate my car.
Today was my delivery day and my wife and I were super excited to bring home our second tesla. We currently have a model 3 we picked up in 2018. We love the M3 and while we did have one paint issue on delivery, the rest of the car was flawless.
Today when we went to pick up our Y, we found so many issues, most of which were minor but a few were significant enough for me to reject the car.
Please see the pictures attached. The Vin was 23xxx and built June 28th. It was blue with a white interior and no other options.
I took delivery in Fremont at the factory and there were about 6 other model y for delivery. When I looked at the other cars, they also had some egregious build with some vins in the 33xxx range.
Would you please post your check list. I am scheduled to take delievery in a couple of days and it my help me. Thanks!

I'm a bit surprised everyone is so accepting of the this level of build quality. Please don't tell me that this is what I should expect from Tesla or that this is the best they can do because clearly, they built my model 3 to a much higher standard than they did this car.
The last picture in the series of picture is the one I was most concerned about. You'll that there is a lighter shade of paint there which actually looks to be where they didn't equally apply the paint thus allowing you to see the e-coat. The fix on the would be a repaint of the panel and blending of the surrounding panels which is nearly a quarter of the car. So yeah, I'm not willing to accept this car when it has to be this extensively resprayed.

Yup, been seeing a lot of e-coat these days...

A lot of people posting "take it and have it fixed at the SC".... great idea in theory. But when every panel gap, mis-aligned tail light and crooked piece of glass is always "within spec" how do you get it fixed without getting in a major time wasting pissing contest with Tesla?

If you're not happy with it, point it out right there at the delivery location and get it in writing that they will fix it not give you the "within spec" BS that they're handing everyone. If they're unwilling or unable to promise a fix in writing.. take your hard earned $60K and walk.
I completely agree. If you're not happy with the vehicle don't accept it - period. It's your money.

That said, if you're going to post pic's of your issues here it would be helpful if you added comments as to what the pic is showing exactly and why it's unacceptable - otherwise we're just guessing.

And at this point I'm certain if anyone is waiting for a car that has better aligned taillights, rear seat, or doesn't have the windshield "issue" (not sure any are any different), you might as well wait 'til next year and hope because I doubt any will be better based on all the posts I've read here. And someone else posted a pic of a front car door he saw at a showroom and indicated he walked away lest it sever an artery or something (OK taking liberties here). I checked mine and yup, same way as I bet everyone's else's are.

So of course don't accept poor quality but if you want to get a MY this year I recommend tempering your expectations a bit or be disappointed. And no this doesn't make me a "Fanboi" (did I get that right? - getting too old for this crap), it makes me a realist. Enjoy - or not.