Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another one bites the dust (Suspected PEM and PEM Fan Failure)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from 2 weeks of traveling. I kept the Roadster in my friend's garage plugged into a 30 amp charging station while away.

I noticed over the past couple days that the charging would frequently start and stop.

I picked up the car this evening after work and got the error messages below.

PEM is not cooling at all. I'm bummed. Had to pay for the tow, which was not cheap. I don't imagine this repair will be either. I'm guessing a new PEM is in order and new PEM cooling fans. I went out of warranty last year and they would not let me renew.

Will wait for the news tomorrow. I might actually contact Gruber to see what they can offer since they're local to me.

:(

IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2507.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG
IMG_2510.jpg
IMG_2517.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: markwj and dhrivnak
Thanks for the feedback @bolosky and @MileHighMotoring. I really hope that's the case.

Oddly, the Service Center never called me today and by the time I finished working, they were closed. I did, however, monitor car status via OVMS a few times. PEM temp has lowered from 143F last night to a most recent reading of 98F. I did notice the PEM at 120F earlier while the motor and battery were much lower.

Hopefully that PEM is not fried. I anticipate a status update sometime tomorrow.

Well, I received a text message just now:

"Your Tesla repairs are still in progress, all parts have arrived and we are hoping to have everything completed by tomorrow afternoon.
After looking into everything we found that there was a faulty input circuit board, witch we went ahead and replaced for you."

That doesn't sound horrible! No word on cost or anything, but this sounds like really good news. I couldn't help but think the worst at first.

I hope to breathe a big sigh of relief when I get it back upon completion of the repair. Hopefully, I can post a final update tomorrow.

:)

Well, I received a text message just now:

"Your Tesla repairs are still in progress, all parts have arrived and we are hoping to have everything completed by tomorrow afternoon.
After looking into everything we found that there was a faulty input circuit board, witch we went ahead and replaced for you."

That doesn't sound horrible! No word on cost or anything, but this sounds like really good news. I couldn't help but think the worst at first.

I hope to breathe a big sigh of relief when I get it back upon completion of the repair. Hopefully, I can post a final update tomorrow.

:)

If they are doing work without getting approval on cost, they must be doing it as Goodwill. That would be very cool of them, maybe since you kept it under warranty as long as you could? Hoping that is the case!

Definitely curious if that is an internal repair to the PEM. As @gregd noted, that would be a complete 180 to what I experienced during my recent PEM issue that led to replacement. Again, hoping for the best for you, let us know what happens.

Last edited:
@shrink any update? We are dying to find out which board was replaced, and was it handled under goodwill or did they charge you an arm and a leg? ;)

Sorry about that. My week has been busy!

Scottsdale SC took really great care of my Roadster. Here is what my Service Invoice reads:

Corrections: Replace Charge Input Circuit (CIC) Board To Fix Inoperative PEM Fan

After diagnosis, found a faulty charge input circuit board. causing corrosion at the power electronic module fan connector. Removed PEM from rear trunk and replaced charge input circuit board. Also replaced PEM fan connector and reassembled. Performed function test after all repairs have been completed. Found issue to be resolved.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

PCBA,CIC I/O WITH EMI CORES (6005208) 1

Pay Type: Goodwill

Here's a screenshot for further reference. This honestly scared the crap out of me, but I'm relieved now. The community here is so knowledgeable and I'm so thankful the SC opened up that PEM and performed the repair.

Hope my experience continues to add to the database and can be helpful to another owner in the future!

IMG_0266.JPG

Wow. That's excellent news. I'm thrilled to see that the SC took car of your car. Isn't 501 out of warranty as well? That's otherworldly service by SC standards!

Perhaps it'd be cheaper to ship our Roadsters to Arizona next time the PEM has issues. ;)

Did you perform a Jedi mind trick on the service rep. to get goodwill? What are the circumstances that caused them to diagnose, remove, and disassemble the PEM and replace an internal circuit board, then reassemble everything, test your car, and then not charge you a dime? Am I missing something?

Awesome! Congrats on the getting your car back up and running.

Another general question to our community......does Tesla publish TSBs for their cars? Is it possible that there is a TSB on this issue? If so, are they available on some of the 3rd party service related websites?

They have them, or at least they used to years ago, but I don't know of any way to get them other than to have a friendly service person tell you about them. For instance, there was one many years ago about fixing the AM radio antenna in the Roadster so it went from totally useless to useless unless you're really close to the transmitter. They only did it if you complained about radio reception, though.

They have them, or at least they used to years ago, but I don't know of any way to get them other than to have a friendly service person tell you about them. For instance, there was one many years ago about fixing the AM radio antenna in the Roadster so it went from totally useless to useless unless you're really close to the transmitter. They only did it if you complained about radio reception, though.
By chance do you know the fix for that? That may be worth me ripping into the dash. I heard the one about the key FOB antenna and that change made a noticeable difference for me.

By chance do you know the fix for that? That may be worth me ripping into the dash. I heard the one about the key FOB antenna and that change made a noticeable difference for me.
It was documented somewhere on this forum a few years ago. If I recall, the net of it was a strip antenna affixed to the passenger edge of the windshield, up against the trim. It did involve ripping the dash apart, however, in order to get access to the wires, though I would think you might be able to fish things through if you tried hard enough. But, don't expect amazing results. The car is one big RF noise generator, and AM radio is particularly susceptible.

Reactions: dhrivnak
It was documented somewhere on this forum a few years ago. If I recall, the net of it was a strip antenna affixed to the passenger edge of the windshield, up against the trim. It did involve ripping the dash apart, however, in order to get access to the wires, though I would think you might be able to fish things through if you tried hard enough. But, don't expect amazing results. The car is one big RF noise generator, and AM radio is particularly susceptible.

Yes, they run the antenna up the corner of the windshield inside the trim. I know, because the trim came off of mine (probably because they pulled it off to do this install and so weakened the adhesive) and I had to replace it, including threading the antenna up in it.

The easiest thing to do might to be to ask Tesla to do it next time it's in for service. The TSB is probably still around (though you'll probably have to tell them about it), and so they'll do it for free, I'd imagine.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak