Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Update to our Supercharging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The nuance was already covered by Musk's follow-up tweet (see comment a few posts up).

As for your first hypothetical, that would show you to be indeed inconsiderate (and thus a liar) and can happen regardless of the new supercharger policy. But now it will cost you $24/hr to laugh at others.
What are you talking about? Because I can imagine a possible situation doesn't entail that I would personally actualize it. Good grief.

McLusky-TheDifference.jpg

:)

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
What are you talking about? Because I can imagine a possible situation doesn't entail that I would personally actualize it. Good grief.

You can also propose the hypothetical of a team of maurading drivers going to supercharger sites with the express purpose of squatting and preventing other travelers from charging (since they didn't plug in, they won't incur idle time charges either).

This situation is deliberately preposterous to demonstrate how useless these "hypotheticals" are to a discussion about whether or not a policy is "bad". If you wouldn't do something that bad, then it's not a possible policy issue to be brought up.

Reactions: jgs
One hypothetical would be I arrive at the mall supercharger that has *most* of its stalls open. I peek in the window to see that the supercharger is now full and a couple of cars are waiting. But, I ordered my burger well done and it's taking a bit more time than I had thought. Good thing it's almost 9PM since I can just wait until the mall clears around 9:30 and the superchargers will once again me empty again.

Do I get charged $0.40/minute for the two hours that I squatted after a full charge? I started with most stall empty and ended with me being the only one there when I unplugged?

Once again, not a common situation, but nonetheless not too farfetched.

One hypothetical would be I arrive at the mall supercharger that has *most* of its stalls open. I peek in the window to see that the supercharger is now full and a couple of cars are waiting. But, I ordered my burger well done and it's taking a bit more time than I had thought. Good thing it's almost 9PM since I can just wait until the mall clears around 9:30 and the superchargers will once again me empty again.

Do I get charged $0.40/minute for the two hours that I squatted after a full charge? I started with most stall empty and ended with me being the only one there when I unplugged?

If I was the programmer, I'd check to see if the stalls were full or nearly full when the charging was complete. If so, start the fee clock. That should honor both the intent and the letter of the policy. Your own conscience would then judge whether or not the fee was worth it.

I think Tesla's response will be that they will notify you via the app whether you are about to incur an idle fee, most likely based on how full the supercharger slots are at the time charging is complete. You are likely SOL if you don't get the notification.

Personally I think Tesla should just stop building out the current supercharger network and start a new all-pay network. Let the existing owners have their free access to the old network, thus not altering the contract agreed at the time of those sales. Then on the new network they should charge the same amount regardless of whether charging or just parking. The whole idea of providing free charging (or unlimited charging for a flat fee) is not something they can implement in a way that fairly allocates resources as it screws up the supply/demand curves.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
If I was the programmer, I'd check to see if the stalls were full or nearly full when the charging was complete. If so, start the fee clock. That should honor both the intent and the letter of the policy. Your own conscience would then judge whether or not the fee was worth it.

Nod. I agree that's the way it should be done, but how do you program the owner of the vehicle? I have read from various sources that the policy is already in effect, but nothing on the app indicated that I was incurring a fee once my vehicle was charged up. Wouldn't it be a big surprise when one drops of their car at their annual inspection to find pages of parking fees?

One could also read the "deserted supercharger" in a different light meaning and qualifying only those that are rarely utilized, aka rural locations. And then keep the rule simple and apply the draconian version of the rule to California-type locations.

Either way I sense progress and a direction toward mitigating the wait time pain at Tesla superchargers.

Nod. I agree that's the way it should be done, but how do you program the owner of the vehicle? I have read from various sources that the policy is already in effect, but nothing on the app indicated that I was incurring a fee once my vehicle was charged up. Wouldn't it be a big surprise when one drops of their car at their annual inspection to find pages of parking fees?

One could also read the "deserted supercharger" in a different light meaning and qualifying only those that are rarely utilized, aka rural locations. And then keep the rule simple and apply the draconian version of the rule to California-type locations.

Either way I sense progress and a direction toward mitigating the wait time pain at Tesla superchargers.

Pavlov had a pretty good method, and it definitely works with negative reinforcement (pain for the wallet in this case).

Reactions: jgs
Today I was at SC in country club hills. I was the only there the entire time I was charging. Another MS pulled in just as I was disconnecting. As I neared completion of charging I received a text stating "charging almost complete an idle fee will begin when charging is complete. Kinda surprised me because there were 7 slots open the entire time I was there

• Informative
Reactions: Max* and disagree
Today I was at SC in country club hills. I was the only there the entire time I was charging. Another MS pulled in just as I was disconnecting. As I neared completion of charging I received a text stating "charging almost complete an idle fee will begin when charging is complete. Kinda surprised me because there were 7 slots open the entire time I was there
But but but, the tweet from Elon promised!

• Funny
Reactions: Max* and NikeWings
But but but, the tweet from Elon promised!
IIRC he used the future tense in the tweet so I don't think it's reprehensible that the tooling hasn't caught up with the promise (sloppy, yes, reprehensible, no). Until then, if I were @PDFS (or for that matter, if I'm me, tomorrow) and did supposedly incur a fee, I'd take a pic of the Supercharger site showing it essentially deserted, and then if the Service Center actually did try to bill me, I'd show them the tweet, the date- and geo-tagged pic, and say "not paying, take it up with Elon".

But I bet they won't.

Reactions: Max*
IIRC he used the future tense in the tweet so I don't think it's reprehensible that the tooling hasn't caught up with the promise (sloppy, yes, reprehensible, no). Until then, if I were @PDFS (or for that matter, if I'm me, tomorrow) and did supposedly incur a fee, I'd take a pic of the Supercharger site showing it essentially deserted, and then if the Service Center actually did try to bill me, I'd show them the tweet, the date- and geo-tagged pic, and say "not paying, take it up with Elon".

But I bet they won't.
Absent a pressing financial need to implement the policy this week, I'm baffled why they would announce it without having really thought it through. What sort of people are they hiring to handle this stuff? Because they suck at it. Probably the same people who manage the DS communications. :oops:

You can also propose the hypothetical of a team of maurading drivers going to supercharger sites with the express purpose of squatting and preventing other travelers from charging (since they didn't plug in, they won't incur idle time charges either).

This situation is deliberately preposterous to demonstrate how useless these "hypotheticals" are to a discussion about whether or not a policy is "bad". If you wouldn't do something that bad, then it's not a possible policy issue to be brought up.
I like your example. It's funny.

I'm less excited about your optimism that no one will choose fees over moving their car. But apparently since you wouldn't do it, it's not relevant to policy. Which is like one of the coolest new rules of logic ever.

Absent a pressing financial need to implement the policy this week, I'm baffled why they would announce it without having really thought it through. What sort of people are they hiring to handle this stuff? Because they suck at it. Probably the same people who manage the DS communications. :oops:
My feeling is that they did vet it out and develop it. Elon's tweet is just a symptom of a hands-in-it-all CEO publicly interjecting into what was probably a reasonable assumption by the policy team (we don't know exactly what's going on at each Supercharger stall, so determining overall occupancy is difficult). That's just my guess, though.

It will change charging behavior, but won't change behavior for those overstaying at a charger. This is because Tesla seems to be adopting a kWh based billing system instead of a time based system.
If Tesla moved to a time-based system, it would open up another channel for unnecessary drama related to the taper, ambient temperature, etc.

Then again, Tesla seems to like creating unnecessary drama. :(

The next time I woke up I was 5 minutes from the time it estimated charging would be complete. 15 minutes later under this program and that would have been an expensive nap at a SC with 8 chargers and Ihave never seen more than 3 people at a time at the SC.
With an estimate 5 minutes remaining, waking up in 15 minutes would be just about when it finished charging. (Estimator seems to be more linear than reality.)