Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(An even more) Nervous Nellie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching Youtube videos on the functions of the various cameras to help me out but wonder if anyone else has encountered this before.

I have a Model S with AP2.0 which I got a week and a half ago, when I first got it the autopilot was fairly smooth on the motorway and round corners, but since this weekend it is acting even more nervous that usual.

On the M4, in the middle lane at 65 MPH I engage the autopilot and the car keeps shimmying left and right, enough to make my head rock and make me feel a little seasick. I turn the AP off and the car is tracking OK so no correction there.

I looked at the lines for the lane and the one on the right seems to be jumping left and right by a pixel or two on the display so it makes me thing the AP is struggling to decide where the right lane is. My guess is that two of the cameras are sending slightly different info and it is getting confused?

I stopped at the Supercharger and wiped down the cameras and sensors with a cloth but just as bad when I left, so I'll have another go at the windscreen with window cleaner.

Has anyone else had this sudden onset of the jitters and did you solve it?

Thanks,

G

Hi Gaz

I have exactly the same issue, car weaving on AP. Alignment seems fine and shouldn't impact AP anyway. It started with the last update. The intensity of the weave does change from very mild to sick inducing. I have had this in the past and it went away with a software update.
This is added to the list of phantom braking and navigate on AP odd behaviour which collectively are making AP pretty unusable for me compared to a few months ago. I suppose it is in the name of progress but I do wonder how much testing Tesla actually do, EAP was not a cheap option and yet I still don't have it - or at least a version that matches Tesla's description of how it should work.

Cheers

I just got back from a couple hundred miles of AP2+ driving, and there was definitely an oscillation, with a period of 4 or 5 seconds. It wasn't the wind, because I took it off AP and drove straight myself for a mile and it did not go back and forth. It wasn't always there, but when it was, it was noticeable (also the wheel turned a few degrees back and forth). This was with firmware 2019.15.102 but I just now got 2019.28.2 so I hope AP has improved.

A friend one told me there aren't many straight roads in California, but there sure are here, so things like this are maybe observed by us and not Tesla engineers. Although I did feel it in a long curve too.