Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Powered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, to get back on topic (as I'll admit to being distracted by shiny LEDs for a bit), we put in a 9kW array last fall, while it is only generating about 20kWh in the winter on a good day, hoping to see more significant output in the summer.

Orientation and location may not be perfect (SSW facing into a wooded easement, but at least it is a steeply sloped lot and 2 story house with walkout basement), but we figured we'd max out the state level tax credit, which combined with the fed credit pays for about 2/3rds of the system cost.

We ended up with 24 panels on the main roof and 6 over the garage, pitch is steep enough to keep the leaves off, just the infrequent snow that sticks to it for a bit.
Solar PV Array 006.jpg

Just got the local power company's ok to install our 9.6 kW (30 panel) PV system. The race is on to see which will happen first: Model S delivered or PV system installed & interconnected.

We're lucky to live in NM, which has no sales tax (technically gross receipts tax) on PV systems, a 10% tax credit (in addition to 30% federal tax credit), and Renewable Energy Credits of 4¢/kWh whether you use it or not (for the next 8 years or so). And since we also get net metering, we get to "double dip" on sunlight!

Solar newbie here. I am building a solar carport specifically for the new baby. I contacted Solar City to work directly with my architect, and have now been told that they are not comfortable with the project because they do not want to assume any liability for the structure. I guess they are busy enough with installations that they just want to slap panels on existing homes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good solar company in the northeast that would be willing to participate in the design process? Also it appears from my research that all solar panels are not created equal. I am curious if those that have working PV systems have strong opinions on what panels to use.

I have been working with a guy in Briarcliff to design a system. Local guy, very knowledgeable and lots of good ideas. His name is Lee and he is with Sunrise Solar 914-762-7622.

Solar newbie here. I am building a solar carport specifically for the new baby. I contacted Solar City to work directly with my architect, and have now been told that they are not comfortable with the project because they do not want to assume any liability for the structure. I guess they are busy enough with installations that they just want to slap panels on existing homes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good solar company in the northeast that would be willing to participate in the design process? Also it appears from my research that all solar panels are not created equal. I am curious if those that have working PV systems have strong opinions on what panels to use.

I have a 5.5 kWh on the house which generates more power during the day than it uses during the day and almost generates all the power we need until I took delivery of the Model S. I figure the Model S now takes a little more than 1 day's average generation to keep it charged.

I am working with Solar and More 598 Route 23 North, Pompton Plains, NJ 07444 telephone 1-800-782-0241 Home - Solar More great guys they are currently working to add 12 to 14 220 Watt panels to my 30 175 watt panels already existing. Just tell them that Herbert told you to call.

Just ordered my plate yesterday. Didn't want to post it until I got it so someone else wouldn't steal it away.

Nice! I'm considering SLR+PWR (where + is the Zia Sun Symbol).

Of course, here in NM, we have to wait for a VIN & standard plates before applying for a vanity plate. Sigh.

And I think I'll get a custom plate surround that says:
Solar Power… Kicks Gas!

:biggrin:

Started couple years ago to get ready - insulate house, thermo windows, metal roof, solar water heating, LED lights, then last year I put up a row of panels (I did get a helper to dig piers and help put panels on), and then I added another row in Nov.
Now have 17KW PV system. My Kw electric usage for Dec was zero.
Incentives are out there, many people get it done for free or very cheap. At least check into it to see if you have incentives available - would be sad to pass up free electricity.
Also, prices of panels are getting cheaper by the day, you can find good panels for under $1. watt.
photo (46).JPG

P85, Blue

And a note for people that have too much shade for solar (a common problem for those of us in the Pacific NW): look for community solar projects in your area. I bought in to one last year; they put panels on a building downtown instead of on the roof of my house. But it works pretty much identically otherwise. They handle all the paperwork; I just get a yearly check.

And failing that, many power companies offer some sort of "Green Power" program. Usually for a ~1 cent per kWh fee, they will guarantee to build enough renewable energy sources to offset your usage (and there is a non-profit that audits their work to make sure they are really doing it). Of course the exact price and power source differs by area so you will want to ask for details. They often will allow you to only upgrade a certain amount, so you don't have to pay extra for the whole electricity bill.

I figure community solar covers my car, and Green Power covers the house.

Good point Chad, would you mind sharing a pointer to your community solar project here or via pm?
Puget Sound Energy will allow you to purchase RECs to 100% of your electric bill, giving you 50% wind, 20% landfill gas, 17% low impact hydro, and the rest wood waste, biogas, & solar.

I'm in Northern California and have found some great guys at Wind Earth and Solar. Specifically Roy is my contact. Doubt they are in the north east, but may have suggestions. Roy is incredibly knowledgable. Also, check their web site. They have various structure they put the solar on ... Not just roofs.

Here is my wife on Dec 15 2012 when we first arrived home after picking up her Model S at the Tesla factory.
We have 25 panels for 4.6kW. Obviously on this day we were not getting much from the panels.
In the winter we are consuming more than we are generating. In the summer we are generating more than we consume.
Overall we give a little to PG&E.

View attachment 16049