Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My own experiments with it over the past weeks have been less positive. While the technology is extremely impressive when it works, it often does not. FSD is constantly being disengaged - either self-disengaging or being manually disengaged by driver interventions - when it cannot handle specific situations. This disengagement is especially frequent in urban driving, making FSD basically unusable there in my own driving experience. It is better on the highway, but even then it is subject to regular disengagements. There is a need for driver supervision at a very high degree of vigilance to allow for quick interventions to avoid dangerous situations. I find this driving approach more stressful than being entirely in control by myself. No doubt future versions will be better, but for the type of driving I do and in this area, it is just not ready yet.
I can't remember FSD ever self-disengaging IME, but I'm not doubting your experience. The only times I had to manually disengage was because I thought it was being too hesitant, and I didn't want drivers following me to get irritated. I manually disengaged a few times when I first starting using FSD, but I found that if I was a little more patient, FSD didn't have to be disengaged after all - it was just a step more cautious than most humans. FSD missed an exit or two in the four months I used it, but the only other faults IME were way too slow negotiating stop signs, and it looked for longer gaps to merge into traffic than most humans would wait for - though if you goose the accelerator it would take smaller gaps (admittedly a driver shouldn't have to, but indicates gaps are easily solvable). Where you drive may have a lot to do with what various driver experience (guessing)?

Last edited:
Reactions: DuncanM
IIRC, the car will report that it is FSD capable. Does your state that?
Yes. But why should I trust what the car says when the CEO tells me that ALL FSD Capable cars will get a free trial this week and 6 weeks later I didn't get the trial? What is the actual definition of "FSD Capable" if it isn't actually running the FSD code? I mean, the CEO was wrong about the free trial, maybe the screen that tells me it's FSD capable is wrong too. Plus, it happened not on one, but two cars.

I mean, my 2016 and 2018 cars were sold as FSD Capable too but then Tesla tried to charge me $1500 each to upgrade hardware in them. They don't exactly have a track record of honesty and reliability here, and their customers are paying the price.

Reactions: gforce2002
Yes. But why should I trust what the car says when the CEO tells me that ALL FSD Capable cars will get a free trial this week and 6 weeks later I didn't get the trial? What is the actual definition of "FSD Capable" if it isn't actually running the FSD code? I mean, the CEO was wrong about the free trial, maybe the screen that tells me it's FSD capable is wrong too. Plus, it happened not on one, but two cars.

I mean, my 2016 and 2018 cars were sold as FSD Capable too but then Tesla tried to charge me $1500 each to upgrade hardware in them. They don't exactly have a track record of honesty and reliability here, and their customers are paying the price.
I was just curious as to what the car was currently reporting.

It's true you can sue anyone for anything. But there needs to be some sort of damages you need Tesla to make whole. Your previous lawsuits had such monetary damages. What would your damages be on this one?

I can't remember FSD ever self-disengaging IME, but I'm not doubting your experience. The only times I had to manually disengage was because I thought it was being too hesitant, and I didn't want drivers following me to get irritated. I manually disengaged a few times when I first starting using FSD, but I found that if I was a little more patient, FSD didn't have to be disengaged after all - it was just a step more cautious than most humans. FSD missed an exit or two in the four months I used it, but the only other faults IME were way too slow negotiating stop signs, and it looked for longer gaps to merge into traffic than most humans would wait for - though if you goose the accelerator it would take smaller gaps (admittedly a driver shouldn't have to, but indicates gaps are easily solvable). Where you drive may have a lot to do with what various driver experience (guessing)?
Good to know that FSD works well for some, even if my own recent experience with it was not so positive. Your account makes me more hopeful that it will be more generally usable in the future for everyone.

I haven't read everything in these long threads and haven't figured out how to find this with a search, but has anyone with version 8.9 tried spending $99 to subscribe to FSD for one month to see if works on a vision only car?
Well, to answer my own question I found a thread on Reddit about this. The answer is that you can get FSD for version 2024.8.9 if you pay the $99 monthly fee (or $8K), but it will be the old 11.1 version of FSD which doesn't work as well as the newer V12 FSD.

In order to get V12 FSD with 2024.8.9 you'll still have to wait, and it's very doubtful that the free one month FSD trial will still be offered.

I'm sure this has been covered in this forum (probably a few times), but I had no luck finding it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
But there needs to be some sort of damages you need Tesla to make whole. Your previous lawsuits had such monetary damages. What would your damages be on this one?
Reduced value of the car. The car was advertised and valued as if it was FSD capable. However, it is not, as evidenced by Tesla saying all FSD capable cars got FSD 6 weeks ago, and my cars did not, ergo they are not FSD capable.

If you went to buy a used Tesla today, would you pay more for one that was FSD capable, or one that was not? There's your damages.

And for those that say "Tesla will show up and say that your car is FSD capable," then let them do that, and I'll get to ask them how much longer I need to wait, and why some cars got what the promised and others didn't, and how that's not reducing the value of my car on the used market. They are welcome to show up and make their arguments about how my car is FSD capable despite not having FSD.

Reduced value of the car. The car was advertised and valued as if it was FSD capable. However, it is not, as evidenced by Tesla saying all FSD capable cars got FSD 6 weeks ago, and my cars did not, ergo they are not FSD capable.

If you went to buy a used Tesla today, would you pay more for one that was FSD capable, or one that was not? There's your damages.

And for those that say "Tesla will show up and say that your car is FSD capable," then let them do that, and I'll get to ask them how much longer I need to wait, and why some cars got what the promised and others didn't, and how that's not reducing the value of my car on the used market. They are welcome to show up and make their arguments about how my car is FSD capable despite not having FSD.
i dunno sounds like you are psychologically damaged and could probably get more with that angle

Reactions: SidetrackedSue

You are assuming you car isn’t capable of working with FSD which I think is a bad assumption.

You are assuming you car isn’t capable of working with FSD which I think is a bad assumption.
I'm not "assuming" it, I'm just following the Tesla CEO's statement and leading to a logical conclusion. Is there a reason that I should not believe what he says?

If nothing else, it would be entertaining to hear in court, under oath, why I didn't get the free trial on my cars.

I'm not "assuming" it, I'm just following the Tesla CEO's statement and leading to a logical conclusion. Is there a reason that I should not believe what he says?

If nothing else, it would be entertaining to hear in court, under oath, why I didn't get the free trial on my cars.
I have no dog in this hunt but this sounds frivolous and without reasonable cause.

My own experiments with it over the past weeks have been less positive. While the technology is extremely impressive when it works, it often does not. FSD is constantly being disengaged - either self-disengaging or being manually disengaged by driver interventions - when it cannot handle specific situations. This disengagement is especially frequent in urban driving, making FSD basically unusable there in my own driving experience. It is better on the highway, but even then it is subject to regular disengagements. There is a need for driver supervision at a very high degree of vigilance to allow for quick interventions to avoid dangerous situations. I find this driving approach more stressful than being entirely in control by myself. No doubt future versions will be better, but for the type of driving I do and in this area, it is just not ready yet.

I will add one thing to my previous post above. As I said, while my experience on the freeway was better than the basically unusable FSD for urban driving, it was still far from great. One area in particular where the Tesla FSD failed to perform was in thinking ahead and adjusting to allow other cars entering the freeway to safely merge. I monitored it closely and FSD was detecting the merging cars well in advance and in many situations would have been able to change lanes to give them room, but it never did so - not even once - during a 4.5 hour freeway drive. Nor did it use the alternative approach of staying in the same lane but speeding up or slowing down in an anticipatory fashion to make room. In each case rather, I had to take over controls to do this. In the few situations where I did not intervene, the FSD used sudden braking to make room at the last second. I would have thought that managing the freeway merges of other cars is something that FSD would have learned or been programmed to do, and indeed would be an area where FSD could excel. I was quite surprised and disappointed that it was not able to do this.

I'm impressed. Never used FSD before yesterday and I drove it today right down Mass Avenue into Harvard Square.
For those of you who don't know what that means..Cambridge is full of crunchy-granola green fiends who have forcibly shoehorned in bollarded bike lanes and dedicated bus lanes on a road that was probably laid down during the horse and buggy days. It has ridiculous lane shifts back and forth and bus lanes that are sometimes dedicated and sometimes not that appear and disappear at random. Pedestrians and bike riders that waltz in front of you with a death wish.

FSD v12.3.2.1 drove through it like a champ.

Good 'ole Cambridge...why am I not surprised with this new announcement..