Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All electronics froze on highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I was driving yesterday (4/21/19) on the NJ Turnpike. I was using AP and Navigate on AP was engaged. My screen froze as did all electronic controls (blinkers, climate, and etc.). I stepped on the brake to disengage the AP, which it did, but the AP indicator stayed on. I was able to pull over and do a reset. A week earlier my screens went dark while on AP on the highway.

Just wanted to give people a heads up. My main concern was the car steering or braking not responding when everything else was frozen. I can imagine for those of us driving with children in the car these types of things are good reminders of being prepared.
Thanks for reading,

Rob

...My main concern was the car steering or braking not responding when everything else was frozen...

Tesla has its propulsion system isolated from convenience system so you should still be able to manually drive even when everything else is all blanked out or frozen up.

As @P85_DA said, you can still do a reboot the two computers (17" and instrument clusters) while on the road.

Reactions: P85_DA
Hello,

I was driving yesterday (4/21/19) on the NJ Turnpike. I was using AP and Navigate on AP was engaged. My screen froze as did all electronic controls (blinkers, climate, and etc.). I stepped on the brake to disengage the AP, which it did, but the AP indicator stayed on. I was able to pull over and do a reset. A week earlier my screens went dark while on AP on the highway.

Just wanted to give people a heads up. My main concern was the car steering or braking not responding when everything else was frozen. I can imagine for those of us driving with children in the car these types of things are good reminders of being prepared.
Thanks for reading,

Rob
New Tesla owners need to be aware of a few things:
1. Screen going black / resetting does not impact car's driving function. Even AP would still be active while the screen reboot.
2. After each OTA, use the 2-scroll plus brake reboot method to reboot the system.

Hello,

Thanks for reading,

Rob
What firmware do you have? (bottome of phone app or long press on T on cars screen)
And on what vehicle?
These details are *always* important to find commonalities and verification of what others are seeing.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
What firmware do you have? (bottome of phone app or long press on T on cars screen)
And on what vehicle?
These details are *always* important to find commonalities and verification of what others are seeing.
Well that would be a legitimate concern, but the liklihood of that happening is very low. Different systems.
thank you. Good to know.