Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian has shut down their cell manufacturing ambitions. From the paywalled The Information:

Irvine, Calif.,-based Rivian, which makes pickups and SUVs, on Wednesday laid off most of a research and development team working on future batteries for the company’s vehicles, a person familiar with the matter said. Prajapati, who led the team, did not respond to a message left on his Linkedin page. Rivian currently buys battery cells from South Korea’s Samsung SDI and assembles them into packs at a plant in Normal, Ill.

• Informative
Reactions: rhumbliner
They really should open the RAN sites up to non-Rivians that have plug & charge capabilities. Though it might not matter much to Tesla owners, as the sites I've seen seem to be nearly or co-located with Supercharger sites.
The RAN can be a profit center if they can find good sites.
I've used their L2 chargers at Yosemite and other places with my Tesla and appreciate having the option.
(A recent trip drove from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite - 250 miles then charged in the Valley and back home. I didn't need to stop to charge!)

"A Rivian spokesperson confirmed the layoff to Benzinga and said that the layoff affected less than 8% of the company's whole battery team.

"While we place a very high value on the cell engineering competence we have built at Rivian, we're focusing the team on R2 and its defined programs," the spokesperson said while adding that the company will pause new cell development in-house.

Instead, Rivian will focus on growing the cell chemistry team, which will work closely with cell manufacturing partners, and on unveiling its R2 platform, according to the spokesperson."

AT&T is buying the commercial van, R1T and R1S.

Since R1T is suffering a bit of lack of demand while R1S is still backlogged ~4 months I hope AT&T buy the pickup for now.

AT&T is buying the commercial van, R1T and R1S.

Since R1T is suffering a bit of lack of demand while R1S is still backlogged ~4 months I hope AT&T buy the pickup for now.
Nice! I hope to hear about more of these pilots and then orders from fleet operators in 2024.

Reactions: mspohr
It’s too bad Rivian has elected to not work with a customization company so they could sell EDVs through them. Instead they are working directly with fleet customers and those are long sales cycles. Big sales, but long cycles. Maybe they figure they have enough EDV volume with Amazon until some of those other fleets start ordering in volume.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Do you mean a middleman? Because that sounds to me like using a dealer who adds markup, something all new-age automakers are trying to avoid at all costs (except the cost added by adding a middleman).
It’s just that delivery vans like that are almost always customized. The market for uncustomized delivery vans is very small. I don’t think Rivian should care if they customize it or a distributor customizes it. So it isn’t a pure middleman, since, like dealers, they don’t provide much value. A true value added reseller will take a Rivian EDV shell and customize it for a small fleet, or even make a version for sole proprietors. It may be that the raw EDV price is still too high to allow this and/or they have sufficient sales volume with their large fleet sales.

Rivian released their P&D, RIVN has dropped ~9% on the news.

The company produced 17,541 vehicles at its manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois and delivered 13,972 vehicles during the same period.
Inventory, and therefore days of supply, increased significantly:

1704209155823.png

It seems like they have a demand problem. (Unless they just aren't capable of delivering that many vehicles, but they delivered more last quarter, so it seems like a demand problem.) Though I guess part of the demand problem, from what I have seen, is that Amazon has paused accepting more vehicles, during the holiday season, and they have a bunch of Amazon delivery vans stacked up waiting for delivery. (I don't know how many, but probably not thousands.)

It seems like they have a demand problem. (Unless they just aren't capable of delivering that many vehicles, but they delivered more last quarter, so it seems like a demand problem.) Though I guess part of the demand problem, from what I have seen, is that Amazon has paused accepting more vehicles, during the holiday season, and they have a bunch of Amazon delivery vans stacked up waiting for delivery. (I don't know how many, but probably not thousands.)
Yeah, I'd place my bets on that explanation. I expect it to be a temporary glitch, and 1Q will look a lot better. That said, the Q1 earnings will look awful based on this.

Yeah, I'd place my bets on that explanation. I expect it to be a temporary glitch, and 1Q will look a lot better. That said, the Q1 earnings will look awful based on this.
I'm, also, thinking that part of it could be that people delayed purchasing an R1T while they waited for the Cybertruck details that were released at the end of November. So maybe Q1 will pickup, we'll have to see.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Previous posts did not have the targets or the 2023 totals:

It’s in the link, not the summary.