Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe never.

R2S is scheduled for sometime in 2026.

Currently, demand is 80% R1S and 20% R1T.
Wow. That's pretty skewed. Seems that Rivian over estimated the "adventure truck" market segment and underestimated the "soccer mom" segment. Can't wait for someone to realize that a Suburban sized EV might actually sell.

Edit: OTOH, R1T sales might have been artificially depressed in 4Q while people waiting to see if Cybertruck was cheaper. Now that it isn't and isn't generally available either, I expect to see an uptick in both F150 and R1T sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr
Rivian had a new recall announced today: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V883-7728.PDF

It has to do with a specific version of the accelerator pedal where the sensor drifts so much that it thinks the pedal is being pressed slightly all the time in warm/hot temperatures. It impacts 7,873 vehicles, and is resolved with an OTA update. (53% have already been updated.)

On vehicles that were built with a suspect accelerator pedal and exposed to very high cabin temperature conditions, a nonconforming chip with a stronger magnetic pole position may cause the pedal to drift outside of the dead band such that the pedal may not register as 0% applied when the driver lifts their foot off of the pedal. If this occurs, the vehicle may not automatically go into “auto-hold” or “park”. Reducing cabin temperature eliminates the drift and restores normal behaviors

The vehicle may not automatically go into “auto-hold” or “park”. In extreme cases, this condition may cause the vehicle to creep forward very slowly. If this occurs, the driver will be required to take other action to place the vehicle into “hold” or “park”, such as depressing the brake pedal and/or pressing the “park” button. If the vehicle does not automatically go into “auto-hold” or "park”, this may increase the risk of a crash. Rivian is not aware of any crashes, injuries, or fatalities related to this condition.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
Rivian had a new recall announced today: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V883-7728.PDF

It has to do with a specific version of the accelerator pedal where the sensor drifts so much that it thinks the pedal is being pressed slightly all the time in warm/hot temperatures. It impacts 7,873 vehicles, and is resolved with an OTA update. (53% have already been updated.)
Meh. Another OTA "recall"
We really need a better term.
No actual cars were recalled for service.

Reactions: EVCollies
Can't wait for someone to realize that a Suburban sized EV might actually sell.
Except…. It’s not/it won’t. Look only to sadness of efficiency from other bricks being thrown through the air. Rivian over estimates their vehicle range by claiming 3mi/kWh, in the real world we’re sub 2mi/kWh driving timid.

R1S is shorter than the R1T and as such has unusable rear most seats. Major miss step on rivian’s part, amongst many many other things with this turd of a vehicle.

Except…. It’s not/it won’t. Look only to sadness of efficiency from other bricks being thrown through the air. Rivian over estimates their vehicle range by claiming 3mi/kWh, in the real world we’re sub 2mi/kWh driving timid.

R1S is shorter than the R1T and as such has unusable rear most seats. Major miss step on rivian’s part, amongst many many other things with this turd of a vehicle.
We've ridden in the third row seats of our daughter's Rivian on long trips. Not difficult at all. (We are in our 70s)
Still lots of room for luggage behind seats.
Sorry you don't like it.

We've ridden in the third row seats of our daughter's Rivian on long trips. Not difficult at all. (We are in our 70s)
Still lots of room for luggage behind seats.
Sorry you don't like it.
Interesting, how tall are you?
That leg room is a little(alright a bit) more than a 911. 😂
Who’d have thought removing over a foot from a vehicle length would cause things to be unusable.

Last edited:
Found these today in Hays, KS. I hadn’t seen any pictures of Rivian fast chargers yet. There were 3 check in’s on PlugShare so far. One was a BMW Mini. Think I’m going to finally make our Y CCS compatible so I can give these a try. 👍

Attachments

• IMG_4430.jpeg
    IMG_4430.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4432.jpeg
    IMG_4432.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4433.jpeg
    IMG_4433.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 19
They’re not too bad, be mindful of port vs stall placement to not to block their chargers like they would with ours.

Pricing still higher than supercharger network. The only ccs network to work without issue, but why wouldn't it.

I haven’t tried plugging in our 3 to one since they’ve become paid. Prior the 3 wouldn’t charge, but that’s justified/understandable.

Attachments

• IMG_4958.jpeg
    IMG_4958.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 19
So looked at Rivian's configurator.

There are 42 R1S available to buy in the "Shop" that can be delivered in Los Angeles within 2 weeks.

All are Quad Motor, most are large packs with a few Max packs.

I guess there are few Dual Motor and/or Standard Pack backorders.

But mostly Rivian is living off of fresh demand. R1T with Quad Motor Large Packs have been available for delivery within 2 weeks for a while

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
So looked at Rivian's configurator.

There are 42 R1S available to buy in the "Shop" that can be delivered in Los Angeles within 2 weeks.

All are Quad Motor, most are large packs with a few Max packs.

I guess there are few Dual Motor and/or Standard Pack backorders.

But mostly Rivian is living off of fresh demand. R1T with Quad Motor Large Packs have been available for delivery within 2 weeks for a while
These tend to be the most expensive Rivians.
I, for one, am waiting for a less expensive Rivian.