Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment cost & rear axle question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My former Lexus dealer would match Discount Tires price including mounting and even provide an optional hazard policy on the replacement tires that they would not offer on the tires that came with the car. Neither my MBZ or BMW dealer here in SoCal would do the same.

On a trip and have tire damage, and stopped at Big-O in Redwood City CA., Which quoted me $215 for an alignment since it "takes 2 hours just to remove and replace the shield under the car -- we do them all the time." I declined the offer and will take it elsewhere if I feel the need. Found this thread when researching whether the price was reasonable....

On a trip and have tire damage, and stopped at Big-O in Redwood City CA., Which quoted me $215 for an alignment since it "takes 2 hours just to remove and replace the shield under the car -- we do them all the time." I declined the offer and will take it elsewhere if I feel the need. Found this thread when researching whether the price was reasonable....

I just was told this as well by Bell Tire here in Michigan. They wouldn't do it because of the shield and work involved. Does the Tesla Service Center remove shield while aligning?

...stopped at Big-O in Redwood City CA., Which quoted me $215 for an alignment since it "takes 2 hours just to remove and replace the shield under the car -- we do them all the time."

For $215, I'd definitely have it done at the Tesla Service Center. Tesla specifies a number of extra steps and checks as part of their alignment procedure. They charge 1.2 hours (so $234 at $195/hour) and I'd much rather have them do all their extra "nice-to-have" steps for roughly the same price, especially on a car with air suspension.

I just was told this as well by Bell Tire here in Michigan. They wouldn't do it because of the shield and work involved. Does the Tesla Service Center remove shield while aligning?

Tesla Service Centers remove the mid aero shield (near the rear drive unit) to adjust the rear suspension. They have a custom torque wrench that lets them avoid removing the front aero shield, but it needs to be removed if you're using standard wrenches.

I don't think the aero shields are too different from other cars, a few bolts and a few plastic rivets. Some cars require you to take off a similar shield every time you change the oil.

How much is everyone paying for an alignment? I just had one done because the car was pulling to the left and took it to tesla and just paid $200 doesn't this seem high? I did a search but could only find some info from a year ago when it was half this...

secondly has has anyone had to have both rear axle and hub assembly's replaced? I'm at about 46,000 miles P85
wow 200.00? is there anything special tesla does that others cant for $75- we have the coil shocks so wouldnt those be easier to deal with?But.....would hate to go elsewhere and they mess it up

wow 200.00? is there anything special tesla does that others cant for $75- we have the coil shocks so wouldnt those be easier to deal with?But.....would hate to go elsewhere and they mess it up

Here are the steps that are above and beyond a standard alignment. Tesla changes things frequently, so this may be somewhat out of date.

First, they connect Toolbox, Tesla's diagnostic software. This is partially for speed and convenience, but it does provide many semi-automatic checks and unique procedures used later (indicated with *).
  • [If steering rack, steering column, subframe have been removed]: Steering rack test*.
  • Check the steering wheel angle electronically* to make sure it's completely straight (instead of eyeballing it).
  • Keep the car in neutral without someone in the driver's seat (anyone could do this, but only if they were told how to; it's not at all obvious).
  • [If subframe, ride height sensors, or the arms they connect to have been removed]: A physical ride height check*.
  • Ride height check for each corner, to make sure the air suspension isn't overcompensating for damage on one corner*.
  • Air suspension calibration*.
  • Monitor the Autopilot radar alignment*.
  • Cycle the (air suspension) ride height from normal to high and back* after adjusting rear toe, make sure the toe and ride heights of each corner are still within spec.
  • Cycle the (air suspension) ride height from normal to high and back* again after adjusting everything else, make sure all the suspension adjustments are still within spec.
  • Steering angle sensor calibration*.
  • [UK only] EU coil spring ride height calibration* (I'm guessing this is for headlight vertical aiming).
As you can see, many of the extra steps are related to air suspension. Tesla does charge somewhat less for an alignment on coil suspension cars.

I wonder if labor rates are lower in SLC vs the Bay Area

Most likely. A $180 four wheel alignment with air suspension would indicate a $150/hour labor rate.

Reactions: EVChris