Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Album Art now missing except for Slacker under 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The artwork is now back. I did not do anything special so it seems that the fix came directly from Tesla without a software update. Although I do not know anything about the API reference below, it is obvious that there was a fix without an update. I can confirm that the artwork is also appearing from Bluetooth and usb.

After further testing, it seems like the art is downloading, but the downloading is sporadic. I have over 25gb of music in my USB stick and when it is 'downloading" it is downloading the art fast. When it does not download, it will not pick up the information either from the music source of the iPhone via bluetooth. However, once it downloads the information, it seems to store it in the memory. As such, I suggest spending 10 minutes going over the "albums" section of the USB and scrolling by letter and moving to the next letter after it has completed downloading the information . . that way you don't have to do it again . . .

After further testing, it seems like the art is downloading, but the downloading is sporadic. I have over 25gb of music in my USB stick and when it is 'downloading" it is downloading the art fast. When it does not download, it will not pick up the information either from the music source of the iPhone via bluetooth. However, once it downloads the information, it seems to store it in the memory. As such, I suggest spending 10 minutes going over the "albums" section of the USB and scrolling by letter and moving to the next letter after it has completed downloading the information . . that way you don't have to do it again . . .
Same experience on my side and of course there are art that does not get downloaded :(

My guess is that they wanted to use a single way to display the artwork.
We have Slacker/FM/USB/Bluetooth as sources, all 4 sources provide metadata for artist/album/song and they use a single code-path to get and display the artwork.
I would have used the ID3 tag as well as a primary source for the artwork, but they preferred to go for a common solution, instead of special-casing the USB case.
I can see why they did it, while I would have used a less elegant, but more pragmatic solution.

I get artwork from usb if i click on songs, but if i go by folder I still do not. Also not getting anything from bluetooth phone as well.

Scratch that. I tried it again and the artwork for USB is now up. Still not getting it if I browse by folder and then list the song, which is how I like to do it. Getting there.

Last edited:
Still not getting it if I browse by folder and then list the song, which is how I like to do it. Getting there.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure artwork has never (ever) worked when browsing by folder. So I wouldn't expect that it would start working now. I wish it did though!

Still not getting it if I browse by folder and then list the song, which is how I like to do it. Getting there.

I'm pretty sure artwork has never (ever) worked when browsing by folder. So I wouldn't expect that it would start working now. I wish it did though![/QUOTE]

It did before 6.1 for me. It wouldnt show it in the browse but when I played it appeared on the screen.

I have notice when downloading the art for the songs in the usb, that the connection to,the server is sporadic. When it is connected, it downloads very fast. However, there will be period of about two minutes or so when it appears the connection to the server is lost Bc nothing downloads. And then after a minute or so, it'll start downloading again.

Have you also noticed that when streaming from your phone, the album art will not come either if the connection is not active at the time. The way to check this is to stream from your phone while at the same time browsing your USB files. To the extent that an album has not downloaded the art if there is no connection it will not download the art on the USB or from the iPhone either.

Is the Tesla onboard software accessing the Gracenote CDDB online - and using that for the album art? If so, the problem could be in how the Model S is accessing the server with the Gracenote data - because getting the album art appears to be sporadic - sometimes it works well - and other times it misses almost every album cover.

However they do it, Tesla's implementation of album art is a disaster.

I've downloaded all the art on to my USB drive and every bit of it is ignored when songs are played. Most songs show no album art when they're played, so if the system is going online to find the art, by and large the system doesn't work.

Artsci, yes, it appears that it s being downloaded. I suggest that you try this to download your art. Select the USB and start scrolling down and up until it triggers the connection; once it is triggered, you should see it downloading. .

I've had great luck since .139 (I'm now on .140) with album art loading for all of my USB-based songs. Usually the right cover, when it misses, I usually get some type of artist or band photo (in the more recent photos some are aging better than others!).

I've do the same technique that Msolomi suggested- and I always start scrolling through the songs or albums when my car is connected to my home internet. Not certain if this makes a difference but home is certainly faster than 3G.

Can't remember what thread I mentioned this in but, now that we have shuffle, I use the genre category to make playlists. Copy each playlist into a separate folder and then retag (plenty of mac and windows third party batch tagging apps out there) the genre with the playlist name. Repeat for next playlist. You end up with duplicate songs in the songs list but I always listen to my music by playlist, so it doesn't matter to me. You can get a 256GB flash drive for about $100, which is a lot less than an iPod!

I also worked laboriously to clean up my song names and album titles. I would reference either iTunes or amazon. And it seems like things like "Some Album Title Disc 2" vs. "Some Album Title" makes a difference. Also, the "&" symbol vs. "and" influences results. Songs names same thing.

Agree that the easiest solution for all of us would be for the audio system to pull the album art from the ID3 tag!

But... we finally have shuffle so there is hope.