Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airport car park battery killer [resolved - sentry mode is on]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tezza

Jul 18, 2021
UK
Hi all. Last July I left the Tesla model 3 (2021) in a sunny airport car park in an England. It dropped loads in battery over a few days and I realised I’d left cabin overheat protection on. MY mistake. So this July for the holiday I ensured the setting was off when I left the car, and the general climate control was off when I left the car. I’ve just had an alert sentry has turned off because it’s hit 20% where I left it as 69% 5.5 days ago. I won’t get back to the car for another two nights. Now anxious what % it will be at and why it’s lost 49% in just a few days. What can I do? I can see it’s 50+ Celsius inside the car, is that killing the battery? Is it something else?
Thanks for any helpful tips.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Did you disable Sentry Mode? That uses 1-2 miles of range per hour.
I just read that’s the reason in another post, wow, thanks EVRider-FL.

It reassures me it will still be about 20% when I get back not keep plummeting.

I can’t believe active cameras use so much %.

I definitely would have turned it off. My business just leases it, it’s not even mine to lovingly care about! Well, now I know.
Many thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Leaving cabin overheat protection on is *not* a huge issue. It would be better to turn it off but it only stays active for the first twelve hours so the downside of that issue is limited.

I 100% agree Sentry Mode is a battery killer for long term parking until it gets disabled at 20%. I hope most airports these days have a Supercharger within the range of a ~20% battery.