Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Agile plunge pricing predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Its 5 minute readings but may have 4 second readings in the logs but may be too historical.

Thanks, that explains the smoothing, I think. This is the graphic from the report, that shows how quickly things went badly wrong:

Hornsea - Little Barford incident.jpg

The initial lightning strikes caused a routine trip that recovered after ~74ms (there were several of these that day - all dealt with by the normal safety measures). Hornsea is an HVDC connected wind farm, with no battery storage, so has a very low inertia. When it tripped offline in error, the loss of power caused an incredibly fast frequency drop. That, in turn, caused other generators to shut down, with the last straw, that caused the DNOs to instigate LFDD, being when the second generator at Little Barford tripped and went offline. What's impressive was that all of the second stage backup came online well within the 4 minute requirement. Some of this is made up from hundreds of big diesel gensets, that need to start up from cold, sync up to a grid that's way off frequency and start generating. Normally, the grid would have called on the pumped hydro at Dinorwig to spool up, that can come online in about a minute normally. Unfortunately, Dinorwig was already online and selling energy, as there wasn't any predicted requirement for additional standby generation. Had Dinorwig been available, then there's a fair chance that the initial dip may have been arrested before the second generator at Little Barford shut down. Dinorwig can deliver around 1.7 GW peak, probably enough to have dealt with this problam had it been available.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro and CMc1
Thanks for all the information in this thread and the Octopus Go thread. Didn't know anything about all this until I signed up to this forum a few months ago. I am now a recent convert to Octopus Go, and like everyone else on Go, looking at whether Agile will benefit.

Here is an agile tariff link for Eastern England for various time periods, including predictions for next 24 hours.
https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile-eastern-england/

Click the Agile Tariff tab near the top for your area.

The interesting graph is the Go vs Agile comparison average for each half hour slot of the day covering the past 365 days. For Eastern England, Agile is typically 5-6p per unit during the period where Go is a fixed 5p per unit (00:30-04:30).

For now, my preference is to stick to the simple approach that is Octopus Go - I know that every night I would pay 5p per unit for four hours, seven days a week. But I know that some would prefer the chase that is Octopus Agile.

Thanks for all the information in this thread and the Octopus Go thread. Didn't know anything about all this until I signed up to this forum a few months ago. I am now a recent convert to Octopus Go, and like everyone else on Go, looking at whether Agile will benefit.

Here is an agile tariff link for Eastern England for various time periods, including predictions for next 24 hours.
https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile-eastern-england/

Click the Agile Tariff tab near the top for your area.

The interesting graph is the Go vs Agile comparison average for each half hour slot of the day covering the past 365 days. For Eastern England, Agile is typically 5-6p per unit during the period where Go is a fixed 5p per unit (00:30-04:30).

For now, my preference is to stick to the simple approach that is Octopus Go - I know that every night I would pay 5p per unit for four hours, seven days a week. But I know that some would prefer the chase that is Octopus Agile.
You can also compare in this site Octopus Comparison

For now, my preference is to stick to the simple approach that is Octopus Go - I know that every night I would pay 5p per unit for four hours, seven days a week. But I know that some would prefer the chase that is Octopus Agile
I think Agile is great if you have the luxury of choosing when to charge the car. If I was commuting long distances each day (rather than upstairs to downstairs) I'd be on GO rather than Agile for the certainty of the pricing. I'd also wouldn't be using much electricity during the day at the higher rate.

For EV owning house hermits, Agile is a winner.

Reactions: ringi
I don't think I can take advantage of this Agile plunge because today has been unexpectedly sunny (& I never thought I'd complain about that!)

It's now 10.15pm & the house batteries still have nearly 40% charge remaining so although the car, dishwasher, tumble dryer & various other things have timers set during the free & negative periods, most won't actually use the grid.

High November wind & solar on the same day - that's a rarity.

If there's one thing better than free electricity it's getting paid to use it...

View attachment 608579
If there's one thing better than free electricity it's getting paid to use it...

View attachment 608579
I was puzzled by the Octopus Watch app seeming to have a glitch in calculating the optimum time for a charge. Setting the slider to "Appliance needs 0.5h to run" gives 12:00am as the best start time. However, the half-hourly rates show 5.82p/kWh at 12:00am and 4.85p/kWh at 03:30. It also seems to give the wrong result for a three hour charge.

I only seemed to notice it after the app added a blue line on the graph for CO2 data recently. In a swift response to my email, the app support team point out that in Options, you can set it to "show CO2 data and use it to find the best slot". If that's turned off, it will calculate by price. I don't recall setting by CO2 data, probably it was the default when it was deployed.

... @PDB33 that's strange, I just checked these and both 0.5 & 3h give the correct lowest average rates. I've used the app for 6 months with my Octopus account details & never changed other default settings.

The 'cheapest rate' slider is extremely useful for so much more than just the car. Using it for all our highest energy appliances more than justifies the initial cost.