Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Agile plunge pricing predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had seen that & would normally boost back up to 85% but I'm consciously letting the battery run down to below 20% (still on mid 70s). It's spent far too long 70-90% & I think the BMS needs some time to recalculate.

Apart from occasional 4 mile runs to the tip/supermarket, the latest England lockdown means I'm hardly using the car for a few weeks (at least).

I had seen that & would normally boost back up to 85% but I'm consciously letting the battery run down to below 20% (still on mid 70s). It's spent far too long 70-90% & I think the BMS needs some time to recalculate.

Apart from occasional 4 mile runs to the tip/supermarket, the latest England lockdown means I'm hardly using the car for a few weeks (at least).

I also was tempted but like you cars not really been anywhere and my soc not seen any lowish numbers for as ages

Might change my mind if it goes free, helping the grid and all that :cool:

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Anyone have any insights as to why the Agile rates have been so terrible this week? I thought with many businesses shut that there would be excess supply.

Bugger all wind generation, and next to no solar. Renewable generation has been way down for the past couple of days or so, so we've been running coal and gas generation at a fairly high level.

Reactions: *Adam and CMc1
Thanks, still feels bloody windy where I am in Scotland though :)

But it is pitch black between 4pm-8am and dull at all other times.

Gridwatch is a useful check: GB Fuel type power generation production

Currently wind is only running at about 2%, and it's mainly wind generation that drives Agile rates - lots of wind at night and Agile drops, little wind at night and it rises.

I was fully expecting to use Go over the winter months however the Agile prices at the start of November were a nice surprise. Will head on to the comparison tool this evening and see how it stacks up for November.
I’m pretty sure Octopus were restricting the change from Go to Agile and vice versa?
Trying to find the web page where they explained why...

Edit: it’s here

Explains a bit further down the page.

I’m pretty sure Octopus were restricting the change from Go to Agile and vice versa?

Interesting thanks, I missed that in their updated terms. Reading it it seems that you could go from Agile > Go (or a standard tariff) but not back to Agile again within 30 days.

I guess if you we're constantly changing due to for example, how windy the week is going to be, they'd incur a bit of an administration headache, especially with billing.

Bugger all wind generation, and next to no solar. Renewable generation has been way down for the past couple of days or so, so we've been running coal and gas generation at a fairly high level.
Nearly 2GW of coal at the moment. There are even open cycle gas turbines running (didn’t even know they existed any more) for nearly 500MW.
It’s a bad day for air quality for sure... :(

Useful info, had a read.

I think it seems fair enough really, they need to stay in business after all. I guess if it was works out for people to move to Go for a few months over winter it's no big deal. Lot of effort to keep swapping just to save a few pence really.

The fact VPI Immingham OCGT got sign off from the Govt is a surprise (having just googled the subject) but I'm sure someone will enlighten me as to why.

In other news got my first Agile bill, 2 months avg rate of 6.03p :D:D

The fact VPI Immingham OCGT got sign off from the Govt is a surprise (having just googled the subject) but I'm sure someone will enlighten me as to why.

Response time, mainly. OCGT plants can be spooled up relatively quickly, more quickly than CCGT, and much more quickly than coal or nuclear (the latter takes forever and a day to start up) so that makes OCGT very useful for filling in when solar and wind generation drops.

Pretty safe to assume it won’t be that over the next two months...

You cursed it :(:p

Screenshot_20201206-162540_Octopus Tariff.jpg