Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aggressive mold in the front inside of the panorama sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks , regarding the tires, the hard snow stiks to the interior wall to the textile that rips the interior of the wheel dome causing problems..

View attachment 43474

index.php

You can se more here:
Lite plass mellom hjulbuer og dekk - uheldig på vinter/dårlig sledeføre?

The wheels and possibly the tires you have included here are not OEM. Are they 21's? 22's?
However, I think you'll find there is a post discussing snow accumulation in the wheel wells elsewhere in the forum, including the fact that this phenomenon is not specific to Teslas, as well as many peoples' manner of dealing with the issue.

I have reported that to Tesla here in the US. My car is normally garaged. However, I was in Florida for a while with the car parked outside. After each rain, when I drove the car, water would drip onto my lap. Tesla said they will look into it when I bring my car in for the annual service in March, as I did not find it important enough to make a special trip to Tesla service.

Guys, fellow Norwegian Newbie here has a habit of reposting all kinds of (negative) stuff from the Norwegian electric car forum. I think this issue deserves attention, since if it is not just a freak occurrence it could point to a possible design flaw. However, as far as I can tell, so far it is just that: a freak single occurrence. Also, Laumb (very active on the Norwegian forum and I know he posts a lot here too, he is one of the founders of the Norwegian Tesla Motors Club etc.) could very well speak for him self and given at little bit of time I'm sure he himself could and would post about this here, after seeing how Tesla explain and resolve it. I don't think it's great to just pass on information like that when it would be so much easier to let the source speak for themselves. Just for the record Laumb has posted on the Norwegian board that as soon as he saw this he contacted the local service center and they seem to be all over it.

Also big facepalm on (again) rehashing/linking that photo of the SAAB with snow caught in the wheel well. Kind of goes to prove the quality of Newbie's way of "relaying" sensational news.

Umm, you know that's a Saab and not a Tesla right?

Yes , its a Saab , but i also posted the link to the pictures of the Teslas and the rift in the inner living caused by the ice and snow. I should have been more specific, sorry for that . Follow the link provided , the pictures are there, couldn't post them here .

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, fellow Norwegian Newbie here has a habit of reposting all kinds of (negative) stuff from the Norwegian electric car forum. I think this issue deserves attention, since if it is not just a freak occurrence it could point to a possible design flaw. However, as far as I can tell, so far it is just that: a freak single occurrence. Also, Laumb (very active on the Norwegian forum and I know he posts a lot here too, he is one of the founders of the Norwegian Tesla Motors Club etc.) could very well speak for him self and given at little bit of time I'm sure he himself could and would post about this here, after seeing how Tesla explain and resolve it. I don't think it's great to just pass on information like that when it would be so much easier to let the source speak for themselves. Just for the record Laumb has posted on the Norwegian board that as soon as he saw this he contacted the local service center and they seem to be all over it.

Also big facepalm on (again) rehashing/linking that photo of the SAAB with snow caught in the wheel well. Kind of goes to prove the quality of Newbie's way of "relaying" sensational news.

Theres 2 now , probably more as the sunroof season kicks in. I think this is a big issue, can't understand the flaming. It's in every bodies interest to get these things solved fast and for everyone to know what to look for.

Yes , its a Saab , but i also posted the link to the pictures of the Teslas and the rift in the inner living caused by the ice and snow. I should have been more specific, sorry for that . Follow the link provided , the pictures are there, couldn't post them here .

seriously???? c'mon.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Theres 2 now , probably more as the sunroof season kicks in. I think this is a big issue, can't understand the flaming. It's in every bodies interest to get these things solved fast and for everyone to know what to look for.

well even I understand it if you're posting pics of a saab under the guise of a tesla...done with this thread.

seriously???? c'mon.

- - - Updated - - -

well even I understand it if you're posting pics of a saab under the guise of a tesla...done with this thread.

Haters gona hate.. Where do I write that the pic is of a tesla ? Even the blind tesla knowers sees this is not a tesla , see the brake calipers .. But it was to illustrate the snow in the wheel that on the teslas tear up the inner lining, and if you follow the link I provided you should understand. The pic of the Saab is in the same thread.

Where do I write that the pic is of a tesla ?

It was perfectly natural for folks to assume that it was a Tesla and I couldn't see it on my cell phone but only when I looked again on my computer. It would have been more forthright to say 'here's a photo of another car to illustrate..." or something similar. I read the whole Norwegian thread you referenced and it should also be noted that plenty of folks pointed out that snow and ice build up in their Audis, BMWs, Toyotas, Saabs and other cars....that doesn't mean that Tesla's don't have the same issue, it just means that Teslas can be equally susceptible to the rotten snow and ice conditions.

IMO Model S is in many ways the best car I have ever driven, that doesn't mean it's perfect and I'm not sure the 'perfect' car will ever exist.

Back to the topic of mold growth - Florida is the capital of mold growth over here due to temperatures and humidity, so I do know a couple of things about it. There are four conditions for growth:

1. Mold Spores. Ranging in size from 3 to 40 microns (human hair is 100-150 microns), mold spores are ubiquitous – they are literally everywhere. There is no reasonable, reliable and cost-effective means of eliminating them from environments that humans inhabit. So, trying to control mold growth through the elimination of mold spores is not feasible.
  2. Mold Food. If all three other requirements are met, almost any substance that contains carbon atoms (organic substance) will provide sufficient nutrients to support mold growth. Even the oil from your skin that is left when you touch an otherwise unsuitable surface, like stainless steel, or the soap residue left from a good cleaning will provide sufficient nutrients to support the growth of some molds. And many of the most common materials found in homes like wood, paper and organic fibers are among the most preferred of mold nutrients. Thus, eliminating mold food from your environment is a virtually impossible task.
  3. Appropriate Temperatures. Unfortunately, most molds grow very well at the same temperatures that humans prefer. In addition, anyone who has cleaned out their refrigerator quickly realizes that temperatures close to freezing are not cold enough to prevent mold growth and temperatures that are much warmer than humans prefer, like those of the tropics, will grow abundant quantities of mold. Therefore, it is not feasible to control mold growth in our home environment through the control of temperature.
  4. Considerable Moisture. Most molds requires the presence of considerable moisture for growth. Obviously, the word "considerable" is key here. The mycologists (fungi scientists) refer to "water activity" when describing the required conditions for mold growth. The various species of mold have different water activity requirements. A material's "water activity" is equivalent to the relative humidity of the air that would be in equilibrium with the material at that material moisture content. The vast majority of mold species require "water activity" levels that are equivalent to material equilibrium moisture contents corresponding to relative humidities of at least 70%. In fact, the great majority of serious, large mold outbreaks inside buildings occur where porous, cellulose-type materials have literally been kept wet by liquid water or sustained condensation.

In other words, it could appear anywhere. I suspect that the felt pad in the original post had absorbed moisture in the wet weather and the mold grew from there. I will say though that there has been no other reporting of this that I could find, even in Florida, so I feel on pretty safe ground assuming it's a pretty isolated issue.

The tread concerns mold on a Tesla. As a fanboy I must say that the issue in the op picture is mold on a piece of tape that is in a Tesla. Mold can occur anywhere that has moisture. Evidently someone placed tape in the Tesla and it became wet. Mold ensued. Remove tape. Wash. Fix the leak or don't open the sunroof during precipitation. No issue. Be careful not to breath in mold spores.

This happens in all cars especially with sunroofs. I saw it in several cars with sunroofs two years ago when shopping for a used car for my daughter. I got out quickly from each one.

The same goes for Saabs with snow in the wheel wells. This can even happen to Tesla S.

I can see Newbie's point in that it could be a design flaw, but to come to that conclusion I would need one question answered. Did the owner ever open the sunroof?

If the owner never did, then there is definitely a design flaw. If the owner did and then closed it, it could be that there is a flaw in the rubber molding. It could also be that the owner thought they closed the sunroof, but left a little gap and water leaked in. Who knows.

How quickly did the mold grow? According to the title of the thread it looks like it appeared over night, I mean what does aggressive really mean.

We're up to five owners on the Norwegian forum reporting mould in the sunroof. This seems like a design flaw.

As for why only Norwegian owners report it? One thing to remember is that the Model S is a comparatively cheap car in Norway. Most buyers are regular middle-class folks, and they don't necessarily use their cars in the same way as US owners do. You can be sure that Norwegian Teslas sit outside more often. If that's not it, another possible reason is that the service center here might have done something to these particular cars, and that this is causing the mould.

I suspect an issue with the felt tape rather than a design flaw per se. Still, it's not pretty and should be an easy fix.

For cross reference - there is also a poll over here.
Well, the water intrusion is more likely a design flaw than anything else, which is the root cause. It's entirely possible that without the felt tape, we'd see these issues five years from now instead of now. Tesla definitely needs to look at the issue and make some corrections.

Allright, a lot of missing information here..

I am the owner of the car picture in Newbies first post.
Last night i discovered the mold, snapped a pic and sent to Tesla along with posting it on our norwegian boards.
I right away cleaned off the "worst parts" as I didnt want it hanging there.

I got an e-mail response from Tesla within an hour asking for some more information. I am pretty sure they will follow this up closely.

The tape piece was places there as a part of a service bulletin for a squeaking pano roof - which Ive never had.
The roof does not leak. This is probably due to the tape being placed as it is, and that some parts of it will be on the outside of the rubber sealing the roof - thus being exposed to water and sucking it up.

The initial quess is that this roll of tape used on a batch of cars where the service bulletin is performed might have mold spores in it from before assembly.

Earlier today I created a poll on our norwegian boards asking wether or not the owners have experienced this. Now many have noticed, for their first time, that they have the same mold - or the beginning of it. 9 owners have as of now reported the mold.

I also, earlier today, created a thread here, before I saw this one, with a bit information and an even more detailed poll (as there are more weather considerations): Mold on sunroof?

We're up to five owners on the Norwegian forum reporting mould in the sunroof. This seems like a design flaw.

As for why only Norwegian owners report it? One thing to remember is that the Model S is a comparatively cheap car in Norway. Most buyers are regular middle-class folks, and they don't necessarily use their cars in the same way as US owners do. You can be sure that Norwegian Teslas sit outside more often. If that's not it, another possible reason is that the service center here might have done something to these particular cars, and that this is causing the mould.

Most common cause of moist surroundings evolving into mold is rather a garage than sitting outside.