Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aggressive mold in the front inside of the panorama sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most common cause of moist surroundings evolving into mold is rather a garage than sitting outside.
Well, the most common cause of water intrusion is sitting outside. I didn't say that Norwegian cars often sit exclusively outside, just that they probably more often sit outside. My impression from ths forum is that a lot of Model S owners in the US that take extremely good care of their cars, so they aren't necessarily representative of an average use case.

Haters gona hate.. Where do I write that the pic is of a tesla ? Even the blind tesla knowers sees this is not a tesla , see the brake calipers .. But it was to illustrate the snow in the wheel that on the teslas tear up the inner lining, and if you follow the link I provided you should understand. The pic of the Saab is in the same thread.

Here in America - as probably in Norway and other places - we have something called credibility. You hurt your credibility by complaining about the Model S but displaying photos of a Saab. If you want to be taken seriously, you should pay attention to what you are saying, how you are saying it, and should avoid posting photos of other manufacturers' vehicles that are not a part of this discussion. This is what people are trying to tell you. You can take the criticism and use it to improve yourself, or you can become defensive and be labeled a troll. Once the latter happens, good luck being taken seriously.

The initial guess is that this roll of tape used on a batch of cars where the service bulletin is performed might have mold spores in it from before assembly.
Sounds plausible, otherwise it's just too much of a coincidence to have so many people have mold in the same place.

- - - Updated - - -

For those who may not have noticed Newbie has been banned, so any advice for him at this point is probably wasted, assuming he's moved on and is not haunting the forums.
Thanks for pointing that out. I guess the Saab wheel picture and all the posts moved elsewhere finally broke the camel's back. For the record, I also thought that was a picture of the Model S.

Allright, a lot of missing information here..

I am the owner of the car picture in Newbies first post.
Last night i discovered the mold, snapped a pic and sent to Tesla along with posting it on our norwegian boards.
I right away cleaned off the "worst parts" as I didnt want it hanging there.

I got an e-mail response from Tesla within an hour asking for some more information. I am pretty sure they will follow this up closely.

The tape piece was places there as a part of a service bulletin for a squeaking pano roof - which Ive never had.
The roof does not leak. This is probably due to the tape being placed as it is, and that some parts of it will be on the outside of the rubber sealing the roof - thus being exposed to water and sucking it up.

The initial quess is that this roll of tape used on a batch of cars where the service bulletin is performed might have mold spores in it from before assembly.

Earlier today I created a poll on our norwegian boards asking wether or not the owners have experienced this. Now many have noticed, for their first time, that they have the same mold - or the beginning of it. 9 owners have as of now reported the mold.

I also, earlier today, created a thread here, before I saw this one, with a bit information and an even more detailed poll (as there are more weather considerations): Mold on sunroof?

Please keep us posted. This can be a serious health hazard.

Short update.

Tesla takes this seriously. They want the var in for a full day as soon as possible to make sure they find a good solution and test for different reasons it might have happened.

I also got CCd on an email chain where I see higher level management and people with a higher education/experience In relevant areas have been asked to give their point of view.

I have no doubt Tesla takes this seriously and will come up with a good solution.

For information, the poll on the Norwegian board now shows 29 people have found mold on the sunroof. 126 have answered.

That means 23% - or 575 potential cars with mold calculating from a total 2500 cars delivered in Norway.

I'd say its a good thing Tesla takes this seriously.

Skjermbilde.PNG

For information, the poll on the Norwegian board now shows 29 people have found mold on the sunroof. 126 have answered.
That means 23% - or 575 potential cars with mold calculating from a total 2500 cars delivered in Norway.
It doesn't mean that, IMO. You're assuming that the poll isn't self-selected, for example.

Just back from winter holiday, checked my pano, and I found mould in my pano as well.

No big surprise, unfortunately, as the description Laumb gave of his garage at home matches mine pretty well.

I emailed Tesla a picture of my pano, and they responded within minutes with the following response:

Washing it off with a little disinfectant should take care of it. We are aware of the issue and are working on a permanent solution. In the meantime, if you could clean it and check periodically to see if it reappears and let us know, that would be most helpful.

I am very disappointed in some of the reactions from some of the Americans in this thread who react so aggressively against people reporting problems. Jeez. This isn't North-Korea, at least not on this side of the Atlantic.

Just back from winter holiday, checked my pano, and I found mould in my pano as well.

No big surprise, unfortunately, as the description Laumb gave of his garage at home matches mine pretty well.

I emailed Tesla a picture of my pano, and they responded within minutes with the following response:

I am very disappointed in some of the reactions from some of the Americans in this thread who react so aggressively against people reporting problems. Jeez. This isn't North-Korea, at least not on this side of the Atlantic.

Again. We are not upset that people are reporting a problem. We were upset that Newbie is a rabble-rouser and only posts negative things, suggesting that they are a widespread problem, and others should be worried. If you find a problem, report it like Laumb did and the responses will be sympathetic and potentially offer solutions. In this case, the solution offered by "Americans" earlier in th post was: "that mold is not typical. You need to contact Tesla and they will fix it for you. "