Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

adizon's M3P build thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. In this thread I hope to document my Model 3 Performance Build.

THE BEGINNING:
Here's is day one of me picking up my M3P in Burbank CA at the end of January, Flying in from SFO since inventory was nearly gone in Northern CA

i-MCcwwjQ.jpg

But before we get too far into the actual M3P build, I wanted to share a little about myself. We all come from different automotive spaces that have led us to the choices we make over our lifetime when it comes to what we drive. Since I was a kid, in the 80's I loved collecting Hotwheels and Matchbox cars. Even to this day at almost 52 years old I still collect them. As a teen my first car was a 83 VW Rabbit GTI, I went through several GTI's and even a Mk1 Scirocco in the early years. After college around 2001 I eventually got a 99 Audi Quattro 1.8T A4, with an APR tune. This would be the 1st car I ever take to the track.

1915168_223760295571_7028339_n.jpg

So I don't get too long winded, I'll just say I love watching motorsports IMSA, LeMans, Rally, Time Attack etc. Although my favorite brand, dream car would be Porsche, I've always had 4 cylinder cars that fit into my budget. Thankfully over time the technology of turbos have gotten better and the cars have gotten really fast around the tracks. Luckily I've had several opportunities to track my cars and even take a couple driving performance schools.

RS_Academy_2018_07.25-1403.jpg

Here's some of the last several cars that I've had the pleasure of owning and modifying, the last one the Honda Civic Type R , before getting my M3P.

02 Subaru WRX, STI turbo, support mods, KW V3 coilovers, etc.
i-ZPdthm6.jpg

i-x2dPv4h.jpg

08 Forster XT, STI conversion
i-HM2Pn5x.jpg

i-XvJtCtS.jpg

i-tQTCWzz.jpg

2015 Focus ST
FocusST.jpg

2017 Focus RS
i-MKskxd3-4K.jpg

i-qZ9tSHJ-4K.jpg

2019 Honda Civic Type R
i-sPDDPH5.jpg

i-vfMsfNk.jpg

i-tpmX9JZ.jpg

i-2Hsb258.jpg

THE STARS ALIGNED

So why the Model 3 Performance. Truth be told, I didn't want an EV. My Civic Type R was dialed in the way I wanted it, it ran great and I didn't have to sell it . . .BUT, Not to get to deep into it, my young son has some pretty intense mental health issues and we had to get him into another school. On days where I might have to drive him to school, then work and then back home that would be a 94 mile round trip vs. the 50 mile round trip I had been commuting prior to my son's issues. The Type R was doable, just not ideal at an avg. of 25mpg I had been getting. With all that had been going on I was not enjoying my Type R the way it was designed for, being dual purpose daily driver and canyon/track cable drivers car.

As I dug deeper into the possibility two major things aligned. 1. was gonna be able to make $5k on my Type R with 21k miles on it, and 2. the discounts on the M3P were so deep coupled with the tax credit on a new car I was able to purchase my new Tesla for less than the Standard Range, Highland base color/interior Model 3.

Here are some 1st shots of my M3P.

i-NmWHjbP-4K.jpg

i-7fxmcjs-4K.jpg

i-QtLpMxk-4K.jpg

i-pqGDKPr-4K.jpg

i-r8krPF2-4K.jpg

i-H5KXgnC-4K.jpg

Love this! Really glad to see prices are coming down enough to increase accessibility.

I saved up money working at a pizza joint, using it to build my forged forged 3SGTE (Turbo MR2) in my garage when I was 17…

Lots of modified cars later, and I ended up in my 22 M3P as “a fun dad car I can still enjoy without modifications…”

Well, that notion only lasted about 40 days before the bug hit, and here we are after only a year…

IMG_3689.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

Never grow old!

Best wishes for your son, ultimately that's all that matters.

Amazing to see the prices on these inventory M3P's plus tax credits get them into a much more attainable pricing band for EV performance vehicles. Also a former petrol-head who really liked 6 cylinder turbos - finallly got that Z32 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo in 2002 (albeit a 1992 model) complete with T-tops and only 19k miles on the clock. Still would put it in my Mt Rushmore of affordable performance vehicles (affordable on the used market) of the last 40 years.

Enjoy your new, highly efficient, machine!

Nice car history. My dad had a '77 VW Rabbit that I learned to drive stick in, and that was a FUN little box. You definitely know how to take a good pic so looking forward to seeing this one evolve. My M3P only has forged rims and some cosmetics, but definitely planning on some suspension work in the future.

• Love
Reactions: adizon
Love the variety of cars you have had, a true car enthusiast.
Would love to see your Audis as well, especially since I came from VAG cars as well. Although more recently, I'm considering between a FL5 Type R or a 997 C4S/T4S as my next fun car.

• Love
Reactions: adizon
Any driving impressions you would like to share? Always interested in hearing a longtime car enthusiast describe their new EV experiences!
@Maxdriver obviously with the EV it's acceleration is pretty addicting. Nothing I've had can out accelerate my M3P.

On familiar curvy roads haven't pushed it super hard as I am still trying to grasp the car's and my capabilities, and me not being an amazing driver that can hop into anything and turn a great lap I need to find my comfort level with it, and slowly push boundaries. That said, (in stock form at least) it seems to hold the turns pretty well. I do feel the 900lbs. or so of weight over the Honda Civic Type R. I'm hoping aftermarket coilovers will help solve the feel of the weight. Speaking of weight, I feel like I want more weight in the steering even in Sport, the Honda CTR had such good steering feel, and so that it the bar set for me.

So far my 1700 miles of driving, mostly running kid errands and back and forth to work with an occasional run through some local twisties have been really fun. It's been a great blend of a DD, and giving me some sporty attitude. And knowing there is some great aftermarket support keeps me engaged on the potential of this platform.

Fantastic photos of your past vehicles and your new Model 3! We are all looking forward to seeing how you tastefully modify your Tesla.
Thank you 🙏, living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I was able to pop over to Zevcentric, and Rishi was kind enough to chat. I'm fairly certain that in due time and funds pending (kids and home eat $$$$$$ like crazy), that Mountain Pass Coilovers will be in my car's future. Just gotta sort out which fits my wants/lifestyle being my Daily Driver and family car, and fun car. Though Rishi suggests even the Sport Adjustable Coilovers are pretty comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clun9
Dude that is such a cool history of cars! I still have my 05 WRX (bought new in 04) and she finally hit 80k miles. It’s got some supporting mods for 310whp, but I’ve been contemplating E85 a lot lately! Your forester sti conversion is something I still dream of doing! How were the KW v3 on your bugeye? It’s time I swap out my suspension (currently stock sti take offs).

The MY is our family hauler, and we have two other gas guzzling SUVs, but we always pick the MY for long trips. I have an Emira on order, just waiting for it, and I’ll most likely keep it completely stock.

IMG_5296.jpeg

IMG_5452.jpeg

IMG_3741.jpeg
IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_8175.jpeg

IMG_6005.jpeg

IMG_2050.jpeg

Here’s the build for my Emira, it’s been forever and I’m hoping for a summer 2025 delivery if all goes well!

IMG_9565.jpeg

Dude that is such a cool history of cars! I still have my 05 WRX (bought new in 04) and she finally hit 80k miles. It’s got some supporting mods for 310whp, but I’ve been contemplating E85 a lot lately! Your forester sti conversion is something I still dream of doing! How were the KW v3 on your bugeye? It’s time I swap out my suspension (currently stock sti take offs).

The MY is our family hauler, and we have two other gas guzzling SUVs, but we always pick the MY for long trips. I have an Emira on order, just waiting for it, and I’ll most likely keep it completely stock.

View attachment 1033237
View attachment 1033240
View attachment 1033241View attachment 1033238
View attachment 1033242
View attachment 1033244
View attachment 1033236

Here’s the build for my Emira, it’s been forever and I’m hoping for a summer 2025 delivery if all goes well!

View attachment 1033243
Whoa Steve, your stable is looking really sweet!

KwV3's on the bugeye were amazing. I went through so many spring/shock combos, but nothing was quite like my KW's. They rode as compliant as oem suspension, maybe even a bit smoother I'd say. Then I would dial it up (stiffer) for the track. It was also nice because instead of using tire pressure to get the natural understeer nature of the GD chassis, you can use the adjustable damping to find a good balance. I had the fronts softer and slightly stiffer in the rear to get it to rotate neutrally in the corners. Also had an adjustable rear sway/endlinks as well.

That Emira is so sweet 🔥 Just stunning, and I imagine just a fun driving experience. Are you going with the Toyota 6 Cyl.or the AMG Turbo 4 Cyl?

Reactions: Clun9