Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a hitch for a bike rack to a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Local hitch installer refuses to install on my 2020 MS - claims that Ecohitch hasn't cleared yet for the 2020 model (site only goes up to 2019).... any idea why this might be (to the best of my knowledge there are no structural/frame changes on the 2020 Ravens)?
Idiots, I would call Ecohitch and have them update the website to 2012+, or find someone who has skills. I showed our local U-Haul the Ecohitch training video and even let him borrow my iPad for the install day.

People act like the Tesla is so different from other cars - its not, just the powertrain is different. It's also super easy to do yourself.

I did my first 2013, then paid for the 2014 and then did the drawtite hitch on my 2016 (which was easier and lighter). Also the draw tite hitch only costs $168.

2016 Tesla Model S Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4"

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce
Yes, I'm sort of serious about it.
Problem I have is living in Norway with eec/eea rules, due to connection with eu.
And Tesla with the model s have not applied for a type approval with hitch, so it's not legal.
There have to be chrash testing and everything to make it legal. Unless a maker of hitches in the EU approves their hitch with towingweight on the model s.
I have other cars with hitches, but could really use the S for some towing around in my backyard or the Harbour (closed propertys) sometimes.
So yes, sort of serious...

I didn't notice you are in Norway. There are pictures I could send you if you are seriously going to do it. It involves a bit of modifying the bumper skin support and the mounting bolt holes. I have towed a 7000 pound trailer 2500 miles in one trip.

That’s amazing. Is the Model X hitch that much different in construction than the 2” one from Torklift? I know Torklift makes hitches that have a higher rating than 2000 lbs but for some reason they won’t rate it higher than 2000 for the Model S.

That’s amazing. Is the Model X hitch that much different in construction than the 2” one from Torklift? I know Torklift makes hitches that have a higher rating than 2000 lbs but for some reason they won’t rate it higher than 2000 for the Model S.
I haven't compared this Model X Etrailer/Drawtite hitch to a Torklift Model S hitch rated for 2000 lbs so I don't have that answer. I can tell you I believe this Model X hitch is built heavier because of how the bumper skin support has to be modified allowing more steel to be bolted under the bumper skin and support.

Last edited:
I notice it says the product is currently not available.

That's correct, but further reading shows that they are producing first batch now, and it will be ready to order next month or something, (couple of hours since I've read it...)

They have done their testing for certification if I read correctly, and waiting for the authorities to make type approval documents.

Here's the videos I found from some of the testing, interesting watch.

Idiots, I would call Ecohitch and have them update the website to 2012+, or find someone who has skills. I showed our local U-Haul the Ecohitch training video and even let him borrow my iPad for the install day.

People act like the Tesla is so different from other cars - its not, just the powertrain is different. It's also super easy to do yourself.

I did my first 2013, then paid for the 2014 and then did the drawtite hitch on my 2016 (which was easier and lighter). Also the draw tite hitch only costs $168.

2016 Tesla Model S Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4"

Thanks for the link to the Draw-tite. First time I hear about it. Definitely much cheaper if you don't mind it being always apparent. I'm not set on that aspect of it but might bite. Anyway, have a great 2020!

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Yes, this will mean a larger selection of tow bars to choose from, not just for bicycle carriers, and I guess this would be about 4000lbs in American mathematics?
I don't remember the maths, but it is 1850kg.
Why won't you americans just use the metric system:p
Because, like stubborn family members, we are wanting to be independent...:p And you are correct, a little over 4000 lbs.

That's correct, but further reading shows that they are producing first batch now, and it will be ready to order next month or something, (couple of hours since I've read it...)

They have done their testing for certification if I read correctly, and waiting for the authorities to make type approval documents.

Here's the videos I found from some of the testing, interesting watch.

Those guys must get paid by the hour. Never seen someone drive a skid loader so damn slow.

Also why would they test the lightest model S. The 100D would have been bettter for this test.

Well at least the forklift driver probably are:D

I don't think that has any effect, it's the rigidity of tow bar and chassis they are checking, the 1850kg probably is a safe limit with the 100d in thoughts.
Because the x can take more.

Well at least the forklift driver probably are:D

I don't think that has any effect, it's the rigidity of tow bar and chassis they are checking, the 1850kg probably is a safe limit with the 100d in thoughts.
Because the x can take more.

Sorry forklift is right, the chassis is more rugged than pretty much anything on the road with a 1400 pound weight (battery) in the bottom of the car as a stressed member. I thought they were checking the load balancing front to rear with progressively heavier weights.