Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actor Paul Walker Dead - Fiery Porsche Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't believe it. :crying:

I shed tears no lie, he is one of my favorite actors, just an overall cool and good guy. I was 8 when i saw the first Fast and Furious, but cant forget Running Scared, Into the Blue, Flags of Our Fathers and Takers.

the classic Nissan Skyline will forever be one of my favorite cars, RIP Paul, truly tragic. :crying:

No one has mentioned that the Carrera GT is a great car in the hands of a skilled driver and a lethal weapon in the hands of someone less skilled. Lots of horsepower, rear engine, limited nanny controls, etc. A friend of mine totaled his when it swapped ends in the wet at a relatively low speed - fortunately in his case no one was seriously injured.

No one has mentioned that the Carrera GT is a great car in the hands of a skilled driver and a lethal weapon in the hands of someone less skilled. Lots of horsepower, rear engine, limited nanny controls, etc. A friend of mine totaled his when it swapped ends in the wet at a relatively low speed - fortunately in his case no one was seriously injured.

You are right. Very few cars on the road that tests the driver's ability every second it is moving. The CGT deserves respect, the second you believe it's ok to get sloppy is the second things can go bad very fast. I have had mine since 2005 and all 11k miles driven by me. There were a handful of times I almost lost it, so I can definitely see how this incident took place. Either way, RIP Paul. Thank you for bringing the love of imports to Hollywood!

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's tragic and sad for the ones left behind and not so much for the idiots that decided to use a public road as a race track. There are very good reasons why race tracks have gravel beds and tire walls.
For me there is no difference when somebody tries to cross the Grand Canyon on a tight rope with no safety precautions. Should you drop, that's the risk you take. Sad for his parents, sad for his daughter, but hopefully an important lesson learned by others not to race on a public road. Now they just killed a light pole, a Porsche and themselves, but what if other, innocent people would have been involved in this accident and possibly injured or killed?

IMO under these conditions it should be forbidden to sell the Carrera GT to everybody. Maybe that my opinion is too extreme but a car that can become a lethal weapon for not skilled drivers is a car that at least needs a particular license drive to be bought.
Just my opinion.

The Carrera GT is one of the most neutral street cars I have ever driven and notorious for having drivers run out of talent. The pictures show a significant debris field which normally comes from great speed.

Also, The CGT has a carbon fiber tub (and everything else for that matter). Once the resin starts to burn in composites, the whole thing will burn to the ground leaving you a pile of fuzzy carbon threads (dennis, yours too). It does take a good bit of energy to get that type of fire going thus the driver (on a race track) usually has enough time to exit the car. We are also wearing Nomex.

I think the points about the CGT and MS being vastly different cars have merit. I also think it is worth noting that fire/rescue would have been on seen within three minutes at most had this happened at a sanctioned closed course event.

I come from the Pilot world where it is routine to examine all elements of incidents, even fatal ones. Those discussions routinely turn to pilot error while remaining respectful and mindful of the loss. The concept in aviation is akin to those that forget history are bound to repeat it. With respect to the CGT, it is a difficult car to drive at speed without margin for mistakes.

this is so NOT an appropriate opportunity to compare the stupid freakin gas vs. electric fires

come on man

My sympathy goes out to those who lost their lives, their families and friends.

However, this is exactly when such questions, and other vehicle safety questions should be asked.
Now, more than ever, we have a better understanding of the dreadful consequences from not asking these questions sooner.
If we don't learn from our mistakes, we are doomed to repeat them.

My sympathy goes out to those who lost their lives, their families and friends.

However, this is exactly when such questions, and other vehicle safety questions should be asked.
Now, more than ever, we have a better understanding of the dreadful consequences from not asking these questions sooner.
If we don't learn from our mistakes, we are doomed to repeat them.

Agree. IMO NHTSA should inquire also on this accident to avoid that such a thing happen again.

While they're at it the NTSB should retest the crash worthiness of the Porsche Carrera. Judging by this photo of the accident it appears to have all of the crash worthiness of a tin can.

2D9814927-1201_news_Car_Crash_dw_01_copy.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

RIP Paul Walker. He inspired a generation of Japanese import car enthusiasts like me when he brought our 90's tuner passion to the silver screen in 2001.

As a future Tesla owner, I honestly find myself wishing he was in a Model S instead of a Carerra GT, because he might actually be alive. Tragic, and my heart goes out to all affected.